Borders Begins Liquidation Sale Today

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Except that Concord Rasputin has expanded to a much larger scale from it's smaller location 4 blocks away in Pleasant Hill and is now paying the SAME high rents as what Tower used to, if not more now. But you're right, it has been able to do this exactly because they have a dedicated clientele that isn't affected by trends and better business model. They still own the empty Pleasant Hill building.

I didn't say Downloads killed off Tower, I'm referring to the "myth" that has been accepted by the uniformed public that thinks downloads killed Tower. You see Tower gone and someone walking down the street with ear buds and iPod and see a false cause an effect. You also hear this being talked about in movies such as what the Shawn Fanning character in "The Social Network" mentioned in a scene or very bad news stories on any T.V. station. But downloads certainly didn't do Tower any favor's in its last years, when talking about the casual music buyer.

When you see the Rasputins and Amoebas of this world still out there, doing their thing on that big a scale, that's definitely more stubbornness than anything else. Know what? God bless them for it. :)

Gotcha on the downloads and Tower.

Linda, you'd be so sad if you saw what the 4th and Bway Tower has become. It was a Toys R Us pop-up for a while, and now sits empty. The Lincoln Center one (across from the also-gone B&N flagship) is a furniture store now. The Union Square Virgin Megastore became a Citibank, drug store, and Nordstrom Rack. The Times Square one? A Forever 21.

Anyways, I will forever miss the South Miami Borders, which didn't try to give you music and video and all that. It was a bookstore, and always felt like one.

There is still a Tower records store in Osaka, Japan. Come over for a visit, pick up some sacds and get some good sushi. Don't expect your weak american dollars to go too far though.... :(

I sort of see it more or less like this, but it'll be about 50 -50 between physical and e-books.
I don't see anything ruling things one way or the other as different things for different folks.
For the rest of the 21st century maybe - if they're lucky. After that - or probably before - the way I see it is the world - well the First World and a good portion of the Second World anyway - will have two kinds of buildings: mass residences and mass warehouses.

If Netflix and Safeway Premium Delivery and the like is any example, all the malls and big box stores etc will become the equivalent of an online version of Costco, but with no ``customers'' permitted on the premises.

Sort of like an extreme version of how supermarkets started off with in the first place back in the teens a hundred years ago - when customers came up to the counter, placed their order, waited for staff to fill it, bag it, charge you for it and then helped you with it out to the trolley which stopped out front.

But, now with the Internet, you don't even have to show up to place - or collect - your order nevermind showing up to pay for it. And the trend of nobody wanting to interact with anybody will just get bigger and bigger and bigger until nobody wants to interact with anybody - if they're paid to or not.

And housekeeping companies and gardening companies and business-affairs management companies (see my note about that in another thread) and transportation companies and just on and on and on.

Same with invitation-only cooking-kitchen companies that are all the rage now in San Francisco. You bring your own food - or in the newest incarnations up in the tony North Beach areas - order it online from organic markets with tie-ins and cross-promotion agreements and have it delivered to the ``restaurant'' - the staff cooks it and all you do for probably a fourth of the price of a regular restaurant meal, is show up with four or six or eight of your friends, ``eat out'' at the ``restaurant'', have nothing to clean up after and then go on about your business unencumbered. Then with that, you don't even have to have a kitchen, living room or bar in your house.

I say long before a hundred years goes by not only will nobody be doing any of their own shopping anymore, laundry companies will expand and drop their prices sufficiently to where nevermind the average middle-class household can afford it, blue-collar and underclass people will also be able to afford it...
There is still a Tower records store in Japan.
...people will be sleeping in Japanese-style cubicles about as big as a double-wide casket and, apart from sleeping and eating, their whole lives will be spent at telecommuting centers programming their avatars to virtually interact with other people who are also programming their avatars, the whole world will end up as a version of Second Life and Everybody will live Happily Ever After.

Right?

I totally see America, Europe, Australia, etc. becoming like a new version of New York City around the turn of the 20th Century, just like that old short story we all read in middle school about there being only two kinds of people - ultra smart people that can't go anywhere, do anything or even move by themselves and live their lives in little glass globes connected to each other - and the vastly inferior caretakers thereof.

After all, with the new population explosion coming around again, SOMEBODY is going to have to hire all these people once they get old enough to work. And, contrary to popular opinion - talking about outdated business models - everybody cannot be working in either Initial Public Contact, Foodservice or Custodial occupations forever like they are now.

Homeless people smell and you don't want `em in your business because of it? They got roach coaches, they can have laundry and shower coaches. Come up with offshoots of companies that right now specialize in ``greasers'' clothing from construction workers that have sense enough to isolate those machines from household laundry machines at the laundromat and come up with companies that take shower and laundry facilities around to skid row.

And their behavior is such that they can't get jobs because they can't be civil to customers or management? We can solve that, too. Get `em jobs in all these warehouses with no customer access that are going to be replacing all the stores where no management shows up - just like Union jobs were for immigrants in the 1930's.

But that'd come about only because of the new civil rights and legal affairs people taking up their cause after having nothing to do after all the other oppressed populations get their due, like March of Dimes went on to birth defects after there was no more polio.

Then they can isolate themselves from everybody and everything - conduct their entire lives online and be just like everybody else in what will by then be passing for Modern Society.

Downloads didn't kill it off. High rents, huge spaces, and a business model that was no longer plausible in the US killed it off along with Virgin and HMV.
Or plausible in the rest of the First World as well as a large portion of the Second World (Russia, Turkey, etc).

But as long as there's a UC-Berkeley, Amoeba and Rasputin will operate there on Telegraph.
Or a Green Onions next to U of Penn in Philly or Mayhem Music next to UCLA or Princeton Music Exchange next to Princeton or Cambridge Music Mart down in the Village from Harvard, etc, etc, etc.

And the same holds true for bookshops with real books, food cafes with real food being served by real people to real customers and every other marketing concept we hold dear that's leftover from the 20th Century. But, we got over leisure suits and platform shoes, so...

Other than that, I stand by my original observation talking about the larger world
i.e the evolution of modern culture outside of University City USA.

(singing) By the year 2125 -
All the stores have turned into a dive
All the people are livin' in hives.....

Last edited:
Boy, I just watched On The Beach this weekend and thought I was depressed, then I read this email about our future. Where does the line start for putting a gun to my head?
You must be a cheery guy to knock back beers with... :)

I totally see America Europe Australia, etc. becoming like a new version of New York City around the turn of the 20th Century.

I look forward to the farmer's markets and great donuts all over the place, then. :)

You miss the fact that, for every advance of which you described, there's always a backlash. At the height of music stores closing and mp3 being the standard, vinyl sells more. At the height of online grocery delivery, there's a rise in artisan foods, farmer's and vendor's markets, etc.

People want the commodity of what you described. they also, just as much, DON'T want it.

It's never going to be as dramatic as you describe it. What you're describing is the idea of America described in "Wall-E." :)

Agreed on college and off-beat towns supporting music and book stores.

At the height of music stores closing and mp3 being the standard, vinyl sells more.
What newfangled technology has to invade modern society for reel to reel to come back?
What you're describing is the idea of America described in "Wall-E."
I look forward to the farmer's markets and great donuts all over the place, then. :)
And then, after all them donuts, we'll all look like the guys on the Wall-E ship.
Blobs encased in polyester one-piece suits. I thought modern society got over polyester.

Hint: That bit about America's future I wrote is not new. Whoever comes closest to the
year it was written and/or for what purpose gets all the donuts and beers to knock back.
Boy, I just watched On The Beach this weekend and thought I was depressed.
Well, then I Know Just Whatcha Need. After you're all done, I can come with some
portable tire treads - one for you and one for me - to wrap around our now-enormous
donut-and-beer-filled bellies in order to get home....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b94OZCitctc...and Lie in the Hot Summer Sun On The Beach.

Rasputin is still doing fine in Concord selling music where Tower was.

This makes me wonder how many former Tower locations are now independent/small-chain record stores. The original Tower Records at 16th and Broadway in Sacramento is now a Dimple (local chain) location, having briefly been R5 Records, Russ Solomon's sadly failed attempt at a do-over. Dimple was originally going to take over Tower's flagship store on Watt Avenue, but for some reason that never happened. I think it's a thrift store now.

Dimple mixes used and new stock, which sometimes leads to some nice surprises. They also sell CD-Rs of bootlegs, which I think is sleazy as hell. I don't mean pirated copies of normal material, but otherwise unreleased stuff. I guess it wouldn't bother me as much if they'd sell it for the price of a CD-R plus a buck or three for the artwork and trouble, but they're getting premium prices for it.

Neither of the Tower location in NYC are music stores. One became a Toys R Us pop-up before sitting empty (to this day, while Other Music, one of the best indies on earth, thrives directly across the street), while the other became a furniture store. Of the two Virgin Megastores, one was split up into a Citibank, Nordstrom Rack, and pharmacy, while the other became a Forever 21. If I can remember that far back, the Herald Square HMV became a Victoria's Secret.

None of the four former Tower locations in Chicago are record stores, nor is the former Virgin Megastore or either former Crow's Nest location. The Crow's Nest on State St. became a Barnes & Noble with books only. There are a handful of worthwhile CD stores in the metro area: Rolling Stones, Chicago Digital, Jazz Record Mart, Remember When, Reckless, Dusty Groove, and Music Masters. All niche stores. There are no stores that have a decent SACD selection. The place in Chicago for SACD is Music Direct, which is a warehouse, not a store. Full line CD stores are a thing of the past here.

Other Music is a good niche store, but far from one of the best indies on earth. I found several Michael Rother (for you electronic/techno fans) titles on German import CD's on my first visit there in '98. I've bought 1 CD in the rest of my trips to Other Music. 6 of 7 Chicago indies listed above have a better selection of imports and eclectic. Jazz Record Mart is limited to Jazz & Blues. I prefer both Exclusive Company (Say it with me! - their buzz phrase) locations in Milwaukee and the B Side in Madison, WI to Other Music. Sorry, just being honest.

If Dimple or other indies need to sell boots on CD-R's in order to be profitable, so be it. I much prefer buying officially released product, especially surround titles. Yet, I dare you to find an official release of the Beach Boys' Landlocked.

Regarding Borders, which is where this thread started, I found a few nice music books there last week for cheap. It appears that their on-line business is ending, too. They cancelled my Deluxe McCartney II, which was on backorder.

Linda

Neither of the Tower location in NYC are music stores. One became a Toys R Us pop-up before sitting empty (to this day, while Other Music, one of the best indies on earth, thrives directly across the street), while the other became a furniture store. Of the two Virgin Megastores, one was split up into a Citibank, Nordstrom Rack, and pharmacy, while the other became a Forever 21. If I can remember that far back, the Herald Square HMV became a Victoria's Secret.

The Borders that used to be close to me has now turned into a Total Wine shop - it opened a couple months ago and already I've been in and spent more than I ever did at Borders!

People want the commodity of what you described. they also, just as much, DON'T want it.
Riiiight. Just like New Yorkers don't got more money than sense to pay a independent delivery service $100 to deliver a SINGLE trendy pastry that's half donut and half croissant which costs $5 apiece in the bakery that creates them.

I loved Borders. Certainly they didn't have everything. Their discount coupons and Borders bucks were perfect for new release buying. I got the Complete Miles Davis Columbia box for $189 w/my offs. Dylan's mono CD box was $45 w/my offs and Bucks. I dare you to find them new anywhere at that price.

I just moved 10 miles further out. There were three Borders within 10 miles of here. In the same area, there is one used store and one B&N left, along with the usual big box stores with their selection of greatest hits. When I lived out here 40 years ago, there were 1/5 as many people, and 15 stores that had a nice LP & tape selection.

I miss Borders.

Where Have All the Good Times Gone? - Elton John

I miss Borders.

Where Have All the Good Times Gone? - Elton John

Music makes people happy. Brainwaves relax.
We are living in the world of WAR!!!!(on terr*rism, drugs..whatever)
TPTB do not want that.
They want FEAR, which is the only way to keep the populace under control.

Sorry..did you and Elton want and answer to that?

"Gone, they've gone away..." "Say, do you remember those good old Four Tops songs?" - Elton

Music makes people happy. Brainwaves relax.
We are living in the world of WAR!!!!(on terr*rism, drugs..whatever)
TPTB do not want that.
They want FEAR, which is the only way to keep the populace under control.

Sorry..did you and Elton want and answer to that?

"Gone, they've gone away..." "Say, do you remember those good old Four Tops songs?" - Elton

"..stolen moments in smokey rooms..
Monday mornings that would come too soon..
"

Trivia Time! What's so "unusual" about that Elton song!?

its the one and only time Elton wrote the entire tune first and Bernie set words to it! (total opposite of how they worked before/since!) :mad:@:

another cool little tidbit.. the song was initially going to take a different, rockier musical direction, have a listen to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG0X6NQfB6k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back