Borders Begins Liquidation Sale Today

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Since more and more brick-and-mortar stores are starting to go online-only - and so many people think they are pining away for the culture of their youth when they really have no idea how ir if that would fit in with their modern life, I offer the following scenario:

I used to be an event technician who used to work at some of these resorts that attract all kinds of retired guys who live in places like Miami or Tucson who say they're pining for the Middle America of their youth - which they subsequently discover has been viewed the last 40 or 50 years through VERY warped Red, Green or Gold Colored Glasses:

These people pay huge sums of money to go spend the WEEKEND having theatrical technicians such as myself recreating it for themselves and a half-dozen of their friends at Thanksgiving or Christmas - complete with imported fake snow and synthetic icicles and ``real'' (non-LED) Christmas lights and a real Yule log in a real fireplace (instead of a video on TV) and etc etc etc. and say how much of a great time they're having.

Til they start choking from the fumes of the Yule log because they forgot they were allergic and start coughing and sneezing from the cold sliding down a hill in a saucer with no coat on and catching diseases from all the chemicals in the fake snow and fake icicles and start experiencing mall withdrawal and etc etc etc.

Invariably, even after being told what the real scenario consists of by people who have done it in previous years - not even twelve hours into their 72 hour recreated ``paradise'' these people are looking to click their heels and have Dorothy's Tornado take them back to their Yule log and Christmas lights and etc videos on TV in their modern suburban senior-citizen-adapted life back in their condos in Miami or senior centers in Tucson - and then chuckle to themselves the next year when the next group of hardheaded greenhorns does the same thing - with the same results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back