Camel – Air Born: The MCA & Decca Years 1973-1984 (box set with 5 albums in 5.1 on blu-ray)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was only familiar with Mirage, so I have started my listening with it. Wow! Stephen knocked it out of the park! I had some reservations about his Van der Graaf Generator mixes not being 'wild' enough to match the quirkiness of the band (more of a personal preference than an objective critique) but Mirage is a 11/10 experience for me. I can only assume that the rest will be of a similar standard.

I almost skipped the release as I try to limit buying box sets to send the message that I do expect standalone Blu-rays. Still, it works out at ~£30 per each surround album, making it a reasonable proposition. No point in lugging around the book and 20+ CDs all the way from the Czech Republic (where the box set has been manufactured) as far as I'm concerned though.

Anyone who ordered from Amazon Germany has his or hers already shipped? Mine has been "preparing for shipment" for 4 days. Delivery date is 28th November-4th December.

I was only familiar with Mirage, so I have started my listening with it. Wow! Stephen knocked it out of the park! I had some reservations about his Van der Graaf Generator mixes not being 'wild' enough to match the quirkiness of the band (more of a personal preference than an objective critique) but Mirage is a 11/10 experience for me. I can only assume that the rest will be of a similar standard.

I almost skipped the release as I try to limit buying box sets to send the message that I do expect standalone Blu-rays. Still, it works out at ~£30 per each surround album, making it a reasonable proposition. No point in lugging around the book and 20+ CDs all the way from the Czech Republic (where the box set has been manufactured) as far as I'm concerned though.
All 5 surround albums are brilliant mixes, my faves being “Moonmadness” and “Nude”

Ripping Notes CD's 13-27:
Quite a shit show, but at least for me all the CD's are ripped.
Now to go back and tag/edit all the titles.
There where more album artworks on this batch by a couple.
One disc did not tag track titles, so that will have to be done manually, 1 of 27, not a problem.
I think I will clean up all these CD's first before going to Blu Rays.

There is a little Hi Res artwork available at Discogs, I am sure much more will be released by some OCD person as myself later?
https://www.discogs.com/release/29050999-Camel-Air-Born-The-MCA-Decca-Years-1973-1984https://www.discogs.com/release/29057092-Camel-Air-Born-The-MCA-Decca-Years-1973-1984

Ripping Notes:
Now CD's are all done, pefect.
On to the Blu Rays, a little confusing, but think I got it now. Usually I just go right to the rip, but got confused on so many choices. Put the hard disc in the player and studied the layout, ripped the whole BD-1 and after the initial MKV rip, selected the files for a little video look on my PC, made notes, and now onto MMH and I will know how to tag via my notes.
BTW, listening to the 5.1 of Camel-Mirage now, very excellent surround mix and artistry with songs.
Example of BD-1 after MKV rip.
t02-Camel-Mirage-new stereo and 5.1
t03-Camel-Camel-original stereo
t04-Camel-Camel-new stereo and 5.1
t06-Camel-Mirage-orginal stereo

Screenshot (102).png

Ripping Notes:
Now CD's are all done, pefect.
On to the Blu Rays, a little confusing, but think I got it now. Usually I just go right to the rip, but got confused on so many choices. Put the hard disc in the player and studied the layout, ripped the whole BD-1 and after the initial MKV rip, selected the files for a little video look on my PC, made notes, and now onto MMH and I will know how to tag via my notes.
BTW, listening to the 5.1 of Camel-Mirage now, very excellent surround mix and artistry with songs.
Example of BD-1 after MKV rip.
t02-Camel-Mirage-new stereo and 5.1
t03-Camel-Camel-original stereo
t04-Camel-Camel-new stereo and 5.1
t06-Camel-Mirage-orginal stereo

View attachment 98844
I bet. Two albums in 5.1 on two BD's. I mean if you break each album out separately ya have to pay attention to how many tracks on each one. Then if you break it down to individual files there's always one extra "throwaway" track for each set.
But you know all this stuff, just sayin'. :)

I bet. Two albums in 5.1 on two BD's. I mean if you break each album out separately ya have to pay attention to how many tracks on each one. Then if you break it down to individual files there's always one extra "throwaway" track for each set.
But you know all this stuff, just sayin'. :)
Yeah, for sure.
Ripping Notes:
Well I am all done, tagged and pretty as far as files go.
I think the 27 CD's will only be put on a thumb drive and only listened to in the car, no way am I going to sit at home and listen to all those.
The 5 Blu Rays, will put all those folders/files on the NAS.
Blu Ray's 1, 2, 3 is the meat. 2023 5.1, Stereo, and Original 24/96 stereo's of:
Camel
Mirage
Music Inspired By "The Snow Goose"
Moonmadness
Nude
Blu Ray 4 The Video Vaults, stereo videos, 23 songs from 5 live recordings, probably put in NAS, but likely will be a one time watch/listen.
Blu Ray 5 Pressure Points Stereo 24/48, 15 tracks recorded Hammersmith Odeon 5/11/1984. This will go into NAS.
All rips, regardless, go into a safety back up external Hard Drive.

Need Hi Res art work which hopefully won't take to long to pop up on Discogs, at least the front of album is up.

Whew, that was a haul man, 3-4 days, a little at morning and a little at night, now to just sit back read and listen.

Last edited:
I used the DHL tracking number with DHL eCommerce Tracking. The number definitely works, but unfortunately the delivery estimate is still 10-14 days out even though its been sitting at the LA airport since Nov. 27. 😧

Back