Quad LP/Tape Poll Carlos, Walter: Switched-On Bach [SQ/Q8]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate "Switched-on Bach"

• Total voters
To get back to the earlier discussion I received SOB2000 and played on the SM involve setting the Invention in F major does bounce around the speakers.
But after listening to the SQ album I am finding the CD to be metallic sounding. Yes I prefer the sound of the album over this new version. Did the original ever make it to CD?
My phono stage on my Marantz is acting up so I can't fairly judge the SQ decode of the SM of the record due to left speaker extreme low volume
I think if you are a fan of this music you want both versions.

I must note that playing a Dolby surround encoded CD on the SM in involve setting instead of getting a mono rear it sure sounds like different sounds coming out of left and right rear.
That's because you ARE getting different sounds from the left and right rear speakers. I didn't notice a "metallic" sound from SOB2000. In fact, I was impressed with how Telarc did with it. It had fewer of the artifacts Wendy complained about with the SQ version.

I must note that playing a Dolby surround encoded CD on the SM in involve setting instead of getting a mono rear it sure sounds like different sounds coming out of left and right rear.

Stop thinking in discrete.

With regular matrix, the position of the decoded speaker and the position of the sound in the recording are independent.

When encoding in regular matrix (including Dolby Stereo), think of a circle of sound surrounding the audience. I can pan any sound to any point on this circle. Excepting the side-imaging problem, the sound should appear to come from the point I panned it.

Draw a circle, put a dot on its circumference where the sound was panned, and proper decoding should place that sound where the dot is on a circle around your listening area.

How the speakers are decoded also depends on where on the circle their decode points are.

Original Dolby Stereo/Dolby Surround decoded the mono rear with a dot at the center back position on the circle.

QS puts dots for decoding at the 45 deg point (RF), the 135 deg point (RB), the -45 deg point (LF) and the -135 deg point (LB). So the decodings will be different than the decoding for Dolby Surround. Dolby PL-II and Involve also have the same decode points for back sounds.

In the movie "Raiders of the Lost Ark", there is a point where someone doing metal work can be heard to the left back. The sound image is always there whether played in original Dolby Surround, in QS, or in Pro Logic II.

Hey JB and MM thanks for the above information.

Would either of you know if the original LP or the CD reissue of Sonic Seasonings is matrix encoded? I had read that there was a 4 channel master of it.

There might have been, but I haven't heard of one. Wendy Carlos wasn't going to let Columbia get their mitts on it to SQ-encode it after the S-OB debacle. If there was some type of matrix-encoded release of it, I'm not aware of it. Maybe the answer would be on Wendy's website.

If anyone knows how to, i believe it would be good to change the title to her proper name. Though unintentional I'm sure, i feel the current title is disrespectful.

If anyone knows how to, i believe it would be good to change the title to her proper name. Though unintentional I'm sure, i feel the current title is disrespectful.
I would agree it is disrespectful today, but when she recorded it, she was still "Walter." I believe her re-recording of the album, Switched on Bach 2000, was under the name "Wendy." Confusing times for sure, but the album out there is listed under Walter.

BTW, have you read her story? Absolutely fascinating. So much talent!

What's with the obsession/pretend concern with altering history these days. The album was recorded as titled and attributed to the artist as named and should remain so.

I bet it doesn't bother Carlos that much. She has never made a big deal about her personal decisions.

Doug

What's with the obsession/pretend concern with altering history these days. The album was recorded as titled and attributed to the artist as named and should remain so.

I bet it doesn't bother Carlos that much. She has never made a big deal about her personal decisions.

Doug

History doesn't get altered. It gets constantly recontextualized in light of new information, reflection, and a developing culture.

This is a good and natural process that is as old as history itself - it would be unhealthy if it did not happen.

History doesn't get altered. It gets constantly recontextualized in light of new information, reflection, and a developing culture.

This is a good and natural process that is as old as history itself - it would be unhealthy if it did not happen.

It is carried to silly extremes.

Doug

I would agree it is disrespectful today, but when she recorded it, she was still "Walter." I believe her re-recording of the album, Switched on Bach 2000, was under the name "Wendy." Confusing times for sure, but the album out there is listed under Walter.

BTW, have you read her story? Absolutely fascinating. So much talent!
After her transition, the original S-OB was corrected to read Wendy on subsequent pressings.

Mistee,
I think you raise a valid point. As much as it doesn't seem like a big deal to many of us older folks, I have had some conversations with my 20 year old daughters about this. It is a VERY big deal to them. This practice of referring to someone who has transitioned by their old name is called "dead naming". While I'm sure that none of us mean any disrespect to Wendy or any other folks in the trans community, by todays standards we are unknowingly "stepping in it" at times. I am regularly talking with my daughters about this ( one has TWO trans roommates), as perceptions and accepted terminology are changing very rapidly. I hate the idea of offending people, but it does happen by accident from time to time. I have no idea what Wendy would have to say about it, as from what I understand she values her privacy and doesn't seem to comment on these things much.
So anyway, not wanting to be any kind of snooty intellectual or know it all, but wanted to pass along what I have been hearing from my kids. I personally, have no clue on these things and need my daughters to keep me informed. Peace on earth, and good will to all folks.

It seems rather simple to observe that re-releases have been released as Wendy, and she rather dislikes attention focused on that past. I equate the continued use of that name when one knows better as an intentional focusing on that past. The insistence on referencing a name, and dismissing efforts to list things under the correct name, is rather dismissive of her identity and wishes. But that's just my 2 cents. I rarely chime in on these things, because I feel like I'm only contributing to attention on this past which goes against her wishes. We should really be focusing on the music of Wendy. But I think it's a simple case of manners that we ought to refer to someone by their correct name.

Mistee,
I think you raise a valid point. As much as it doesn't seem like a big deal to many of us older folks, I have had some conversations with my 20 year old daughters about this. It is a VERY big deal to them. This practice of referring to someone who has transitioned by their old name is called "dead naming". While I'm sure that none of us mean any disrespect to Wendy or any other folks in the trans community, by todays standards we are unknowingly "stepping in it" at times. I am regularly talking with my daughters about this ( one has TWO trans roommates), as perceptions and accepted terminology are changing very rapidly. I hate the idea of offending people, but it does happen by accident from time to time. I have no idea what Wendy would have to say about it, as from what I understand she values her privacy and doesn't seem to comment on these things much.
So anyway, not wanting to be any kind of snooty intellectual or know it all, but wanted to pass along what I have been hearing from my kids. I personally, have no clue on these things and need my daughters to keep me informed. Peace on earth, and good will to all folks.

Thank you for those words. I wasn't wanting to go into as much detail as you have, but as someone who has worked in the area for many years, supporting transchildren in schools, i agree with them wholeheartedly. Incalculable good can came from demonstrating respect in the simplest of ways.

So while I wasn't wanting to make big deal out of it, as I have found the participants on this forum to be highly respectful to others, i felt pointing out a suggested change of the title in keeping with how we are in this forum. Thanks for considering either way. I won't comment again.

Thank you for those words. I wasn't wanting to go into as much detail as you have, but as someone who has worked in the area for many years, supporting transchildren in schools, i agree with them wholeheartedly. Incalculable good can came from demonstrating respect in the simplest of ways.

So while I wasn't wanting to make big deal out of it, as I have found the participants on this forum to be highly respectful to others, i felt pointing out a suggested change of the title in keeping with how we are in this forum. Thanks for considering either way. I won't comment again.
Incalculable good seems like a worthy goal.

I believe more respect would have been shown Carlos had you not broached the subject because it comes off more as an effort to further a modern day agenda than any real compassion or concern for the artist of these wonderful recordings. If you want to refer to Carlos as Wendy, that's fine but certain things are set into history and there is absolutely NO reason to cancel them or modify them.

Doug

Last edited:
Back