Chicago 4 (live): decodes?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winopener

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
We all quadnuts knows that Chicago released all their album from I to XI in quad (sq/q8) but one: Chicago 4 live. It's no wonder, since a 4-lp release was incredible (and unsurpassed up to Springsteen 5-lp box set) and a four-cart box set was out of the question, but... how does it decodes with a SQ processing? Anyone has tried that?

Hello there,

I have done a DTS conversion using a QS method. It decodes well using QS Matrix. I have now also tried it through my sony SQ receiver on RM setting and SQ and any way you slice it, it sounds great! As yu might no, or noticed, the difference anyways was placement. QS puts Terry's guitar back right, horns front, lead vocals front and center. Backing in back 2 channels. Its to be heard to be believed!(y)

Hello there,

I have done a DTS conversion using a QS method. It decodes well using QS Matrix. I have now also tried it through my sony SQ receiver on RM setting and SQ and any way you slice it, it sounds great! As yu might no, or noticed, the difference anyways was placement. QS puts Terry's guitar back right, horns front, lead vocals front and center. Backing in back 2 channels. Its to be heard to be believed!(y)

Hi All,
I have an orginally vinyl of the Chicago live as you guys call it. Ok you talk me in to pulling it out of storage and given it listen. I will let you all know how it sounds. By the way, my copy is pretty mint condition!!!!!!! with all of the orginal posters etc. :banana:

It 12:33 Just started to play it. Actrully I think I perfer the Marantz's Varimatrix decoder instead of the SQ. I am playing though the DBX SNR-1 before decoding. I'm surrounded by the brass section. Got different brass instruments coming from drifferent directions!!!!

Last edited:
I wonder why this was never an SQ release. It showed up in many a Schwann catalog as being available in quad, but we all know it was not.

A shame, realy. (Consequently, I never bought it - in any format)

We all quadnuts knows that Chicago released all their album from I to XI in quad (sq/q8) but one: Chicago 4 live. It's no wonder, since a 4-lp release was incredible (and unsurpassed up to Springsteen 5-lp box set) and a four-cart box set was out of the question, but... how does it decodes with a SQ processing? Anyone has tried that?

Chicago XI in quad ?...........Baby that's a big surprise !!

Back