Chris Squire "Fish Out Of Water" 5.1 mix (Blu-Ray Edition out in October!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Remind me, does the BluRay include 2.0 "Run With the Fox/Return of the Fox" single , and the FooW single mixes, as the big box did?

Not that I see ssully

Im happy to report my copy arrived yesterday from Cherrry Red and it plays in my Oppo
Yes would have been nice to get the single mixes included. Somewhere I have one of the 45s from this album.

Not that I see ssully

Im happy to report my copy arrived yesterday from Cherrry Red and it plays in my Oppo
Yes would have been nice to get the single mixes included. Somewhere I have one of the 45s from this album.
I've not even gotten a shipping notice from Cherry Red yet I ordered on Aug 20, sent them an email early this morning still have heard nothing.....NOT VERY HAPPY!!!:mad:

Not that I see ssully

Eh, the FooW singles don't matter much to me except as peculiarities to be played once...but it was nice to get the Squire/White Fox '45 in digital form in the boxed set. The instrumental B side had never been digitally released before, and it's the better of the two sides.

I wonder why none of this stuff is on the BluRay.

I'm almost embarrassed to admit I had never heard this album before buying this version of it. The only Yes album I listened to as a kid was Fragile, but I was extremely fond of it. I've since bought the 5.1 versions of all their albums and grown to appreciate their music more. This album is a revelation to me. It's very unique and well, uplifting. I hear echoes of Yes, obviously, but also some Gentle Giant, another band I never really heard back in the day. I can see myself returning to this album when I need some inspiration or virtuosity.

Has anyone had issues with this disc? I have the bluray and tried playing it on my Seiki BD-660 and it won't make it past the Esoteric Recordings screen.

Has anyone had issues with this disc? I have the bluray and tried playing it on my Seiki BD-660 and it won't make it past the Esoteric Recordings screen.
Yes those of us with Oppo BDP-83s. About the same age player too.
So that's TWO players that won't play this disc.

Yes those of us with Oppo BDP-83s. About the same age player too.
So that's TWO players that won't play this disc.
Hearing that the Oppo players wouldn't do it utterly shocked me. The Seiki was this $100 player sold region-free-modded by Walmart in Canada and its last firmware update was in like, 2011. Did you or your Oppo friends ever find a solution for it?

The Seiki was this $100 player sold region-free-modded by Walmart in Canada and its last firmware update was in like, 2011. Did you or your Oppo friends ever find a solution for it?
I found that player of yours on Amazon, first sold there in 2011. None now.

Solution? Buy a different player, or Esoteric remasters the disc and sends everyone that asks a free replacement.;)

I found that player of yours on Amazon, first sold there in 2011. None now.

Solution? Buy a different player, or Esoteric remasters the disc and sends everyone that asks a free replacement.;)
Thankfully there is a PS3 in the same room allowing me to play it(in addition to a Sony BDP-S350 upstairs and an LG BP350 in the closet) but it's kind of a shame. Imagine if you put a DVD in a drive and it didn't play!

So I really like this release from a surround perspective, but one thing that's becoming a sore point on repeat listens is the loud and harsh cymbal sound. The choruses in "Safe" border on excruciating at high volume on my system, with the cymbals primarily in the center channel verging on drowning out the vocals. Does anyone else feel this way? I also wish the front soundstage wasn't so center-channel heavy, but I guess that's just a matter of taste.

My copy will not play either (Oppo 83)

I have emailed Cherry Red to ask what they want plan to do - offer refunds or replace discs.

If anyone else has issues I would encourage them to speak to Cherry Red so they know the extent of the problem.

My copy will not play either (Oppo 83)

I have emailed Cherry Red to ask what they want plan to do - offer refunds or replace discs.

If anyone else has issues I would encourage them to speak to Cherry Red so they know the extent of the problem.
I bought my disc from a rando on ebay, couldn't find many places to preorder in Canada...

Mainly piano, orchestra and bgv's in the surrounds. Place some surround soundstage type of placement.
Works for me! Not crazy about the music, but it is "interesting". I like hearing Squire's vocal on it's own, as opposed to harmonizing with Jon Anderson.
Helps me identify Squire better on Yes recordings. He has a pretty good voice, but I can see why Anderson became the lead singer for Yes!
Not sure about a rating yet. I want another, deeper listen.

Mainly piano, orchestra and bgv's in the surrounds. Place some surround soundstage type of placement.
Works for me! Not crazy about the music, but it is "interesting". I like hearing Squire's vocal on it's own, as opposed to harmonizing with Jon Anderson.
Helps me identify Squire better on Yes recordings. He has a pretty good voice, but I can see why Anderson became the lead singer for Yes!
Not sure about a rating yet. I want another, deeper listen.
I'm also unsure how I rate this album. I got a first press Japanese CD of this title when it was rare and very desirable. But it sounded dull to me like 3rd gen tapes used, and I could never be satisfied with it. I never found a good used clean vinyl copy without ring wear and that was priced right (but they are out there). So I really looked forward to the 5.1 and I sprang for the big $80+ box just to hear it.

I was not blown away musically. I wanted parts of it it to reach the level of CTTE or Relayer, or even get close to that in certain passages, and I have not heard any that do. I was also disappointed that the vinyl LP included in the big box was not the newer remixed 2-chan version. They could have had the more rare (and exclusive) mix on vinyl and created a really special package there. I'll revisit the 5.1 again soon., see if I change my mind some.

Have to agree with the above two reviews. I've had this on vinyl and now have the
stand alone bluray.
If this was the Olias album in mc I would be ecstatic This is good but not great music. From the viewpoint of listening to a phenomenal bass player you don't get what you would expect as a fan.
But anyways I will listen more.
Listen I remember getting Steve Howes first solo album and being excited to hear it then being disappointed. Got rid of it pretty quick.
Its certainly great to have choices.

Back