Cut out at start of Rhino Quadio playback

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SQLGuy

Hi folks,

I really like the set Rhino did for the Chicago quad releases, but on my system I always get about three cutouts at the start of playback... I suspect it is due to some HDMI negotiation between devices, but I have no idea which component is the culprit or how to fix it.

The system is an Oppo BDP-83SE with a Denon AV7005 connected by HDMI. I'm using HDMI because that's the only way I get full delay and bass management functionality. If I use the analog outputs of the Oppo the Denon just does pass-through, and the Oppo management is not as good as the Denon's (for example, I have a digital crossover and EQ for the front speakers... this results in a "distance" of 26 feet from the listening position, rather than the actual 12 feet or so... the difference is almost definitely due to the AD/DA processing latency, but the Oppo can't add that much delay to the side and rear channels to match).

I haven't tried 7.1 to see if the dropouts are there, too, though. I guess I should do that just to help narrow things down. Any ideas on how to have the system do it's negotiation before playback starts, or to preset it?

Thanks,
Paul

Hi folks,

I really like the set Rhino did for the Chicago quad releases, but on my system I always get about three cutouts at the start of playback... I suspect it is due to some HDMI negotiation between devices, but I have no idea which component is the culprit or how to fix it.

The system is an Oppo BDP-83SE with a Denon AV7005 connected by HDMI. I'm using HDMI because that's the only way I get full delay and bass management functionality. If I use the analog outputs of the Oppo the Denon just does pass-through, and the Oppo management is not as good as the Denon's (for example, I have a digital crossover and EQ for the front speakers... this results in a "distance" of 26 feet from the listening position, rather than the actual 12 feet or so... the difference is almost definitely due to the AD/DA processing latency, but the Oppo can't add that much delay to the side and rear channels to match).

I haven't tried 7.1 to see if the dropouts are there, too, though. I guess I should do that just to help narrow things down. Any ideas on how to have the system do it's negotiation before playback starts, or to preset it?

Thanks,
Paul

I'm utilizing an OPPO BDP 93 in my secondary system, ANALOGUE out into an ALL analogue Parasound P7 Pre~amp and I experience the same 'cut out' at the beginning. I just press the reverse button on the OPPO and start over and there's NO momentary pause in playback. It's NOT an HDMI 'handshake' issue.

BTW, it ONLY cuts out when I play SACDs ..... and not Blu Ray Audio discs.......

Wonder if it's a 'firmware' issue?

Last edited:
I don't think I've had any cutout on SACDs... and I have a fair number of them. I'll double check, though. I have one or two other BRA discs as well. I'll see if I can narrow it down.

FWIW, firmware on both the Denon and the Oppo are latest.

I had the same problem when I had an HDMI connection to my AVR, an Onkyo. It was indeed a handshake issue, and it didn't make any difference what format was being played. When I removed the AVR from my system and utilized the analog outs from my Oppo to my power amps, the issue went away entirely.

4-earredwonder, do you have your Oppo connected via HDMI to any other component in your system? My understanding from reading up on this is that the "handshake delay" happens if there is ANY HDMI connection, even if it's just to a video display.

I had the same problem when I had an HDMI connection to my AVR, an Onkyo. It was indeed a handshake issue, and it didn't make any difference what format was being played. When I removed the AVR from my system and utilized the analog outs from my Oppo to my power amps, the issue went away entirely.

4-earredwonder, do you have your Oppo connected via HDMI to any other component in your system? My understanding from reading up on this is that the "handshake delay" happens if there is ANY HDMI connection, even if it's just to a video display.

I do have an HDMI cable on the BDP~93 hooked up to a small TV monitor for BD~A/DVD~A set up. Maybe, that's the issue. Really doesn't bother me though.

I get a drop out if I switch my TV on or off/standby as that's connected to the AVR. Otherwise I occasionally get handshake issues, but switching things off and then back on again in possibly a specific order sets that straight, but the handshaking other than the TV related drop outs is complete blackout not temporary drops. I sometimes lose a very small part of the beginning of the very first track but skipping back to the beginning of the track seems to sort it out.

Handshake "anomalies" go back to the first version of HDMI. My circa 2006 Marantz player still winks out for a second if I turn off the TV, but not until a good 10 to 15 seconds later. I also have issues sometimes with my receiver recognizing the digital output from my Oppo 205 via coax; but they do eventually make contact. So you are not alone SQLGuy in dealing with the quirks of modern technology.

Another reason to convert to FLAC me thinks :). No HDMI dropouts and/or waiting for the DTS Decoder to kick in which happens too from my fading memory of playing discs back a few years ago now.

It gets weirder...Yep it takes a bit of time for the DTS decoder in my receiver to kick in using coax, but I am playing FLAC files via USB on the Oppo. And I'm talking about MLP 96/24 extracted to FLAC from DVD-A using DVDAE. Perhaps there is a DTS stream still embedded in the FLAC file or maybe the receiver sees a digital signal and just interprets it as DTS on the display even if it is not. And sometimes the receiver shows a 96kHz sampling rate on the display. And more often than not, my Oppo won't fast forward FLAC. Weird.

It's not a major issue because I play FLAC files via the Oppo DAC's 99% of the time. I just like to compare the sound of the receiver DACs to the Oppo from time to time.

Another reason to convert to FLAC me thinks :). No HDMI dropouts and/or waiting for the DTS Decoder to kick in which happens too from my fading memory of playing discs back a few years ago now.
Playing FLAC files with Kodi through my Emotiva pre/pro will drop the first second or so off the first song. Its definitely a handshake issue. The prepro needs that second to switch between the default mode it is in to the mode needed to play the file. It can be avoided by setting Kodi to only output 5.1 24/96 (or whatever you want the default mode to be), instead of the "Closest Match" (or the other option that I cant remember). This effectively locks the pre/pro onto the 5.1 24/96 signal and it never switches out unless I change the source, so there is never a delay. Of course the result is the pre/pro processes 4 channels of zeros through the system when playing a stereo source, in addition to upsampling something like 16/44.1 tracks to 24/96. And if you want to automatically play stereo tracks using a faux multi channel mode, this wont work either since the pre/pro never sees a stereo signal. I've just come to accept the short drop.

FWIW, I always thought my DTS copy of Band on the Run was one of those early releases that had the first few notes edited from the disk. I only realized after ripping it that it was indeed the unmolested version. It just never played those first few notes due to the handshake issue.

Last edited:
Just tried switching to 7.1 analog inputs on the Marantz (mistakenly said Denon before - same company, but...) and no dropout on start. Then I switched back to HDMI and still no dropout. Ejected and reloaded the disk and switched to Auto... still no dropout. OK. I guess I should be happy it's working... but it was doing it every time before!

Just tried switching to 7.1 analog inputs on the Marantz (mistakenly said Denon before - same company, but...) and no dropout on start. Then I switched back to HDMI and still no dropout. Ejected and reloaded the disk and switched to Auto... still no dropout. OK. I guess I should be happy it's working... but it was doing it every time before!

Don't worry, I'm sure it will happen again when you least expect it! LOL

Back