DAC or PC issue? Ticking when changing formats

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

audioguy

Hi folks! Like many here, I have my music on a file server. Hardware consists of a Windows 8 computer connected to an Oppo 105 via HDMI. Analog output of Oppo goes directly to multichannel amp. I use Foobar to play back various types of files, most of which consist of SACD ISO, FLAC, and a few MP3 files. The SACD ISO and FLAC are both in stereo and multichannel. DSD files are converted to PCM in Foobar.

My playlists in Foobar consist of different tracks from ISO's and FLACs. Every once in a while, I get digitized ticks when a new track starts. This only happens when I go from playing one format to another. Actually, this only happens very little. Most of time, transitions are perfect from one track to the next, even with format changes. To fix it, I have to skip a couple of tracks and then go back. Or shut down Foobar and restart...or turn Oppo off/on.

Not sure if it's my computer or my DAC (Oppo) that's at fault. Maybe it's the HDMI handshake? Anyone else have this issue? Any fixes? Thanks!

So this method is basically a solution to folks who want to use HDMI out of their music server, but do not have an amp with HDMI input (only tv)?

What about video out of computer HDMI, the Oppo is just a pass through to TV for this mode?

I'm using JRiver, btw, but same thing applies. I like this thanks.

So this method is basically a solution to folks who want to use HDMI out of their music server, but do not have an amp with HDMI input (only tv)?

What about video out of computer HDMI, the Oppo is just a pass through to TV for this mode?

I'm using JRiver, btw, but same thing applies. I like this thanks.

I'm using my Oppo as a DAC. Some people have a Receiver (amplifier, pre-amp, and DAC are built into one unit). My computer's HDMI output goes to the Oppo's HDMI input. Then the HDMI output of the Oppo goes to the TV while the Oppo's analog (audio) outputs go directly to a multichannel amp. There are different versions of HDMI and one huge issue with HDMI is the handshake. Sometimes things don't go so well and it's not a friendly handshake. I'm suspecting that's my issue, but not sure. Wondering if others have similar experiences.

I'm using my Oppo as a DAC. Some people have a Receiver (amplifier, pre-amp, and DAC are built into one unit). My computer's HDMI output goes to the Oppo's HDMI input. Then the HDMI output of the Oppo goes to the TV while the Oppo's analog (audio) outputs go directly to a multichannel amp. There are different versions of HDMI and one huge issue with HDMI is the handshake. Sometimes things don't go so well and it's not a friendly handshake. I'm suspecting that's my issue, but not sure. Wondering if others have similar experiences.
Yes I have a receiver with built in DAC 6-chan, but it does not have HDMI in, I am using Tos/link optical in which is fine for stereo and DTS but not any other surround flavor.

So is your only issue (with the handshake) the ticks when changing formats and the restart? No other issues, none of the formats are refusing to play through the Oppo's DAC?

Last edited:
...Not sure if it's my computer or my DAC (Oppo) that's at fault. Maybe it's the HDMI handshake? Anyone else have this issue? Any fixes? Thanks!

I have almost exactly the same symptoms, with roughly the same frequency (i.e. rarely), and my setup is similar: Win7, Foobar, HDMI into AV receivers. I also solve it using the same methods you described. In other words, I'm no help at all! :upthumb

If it happened a little more often, I might be motivated to do some troubleshooting. As it stands, I'm not even sure where to begin. I'll report back if I get any brilliant ideas (don't wait up, heh).

-- Jim

Yes I have a receiver with built in DAC 6-chan, but it does not have HDMI in, I am using Tos/link optical in which is fine for stereo and DTS but not any other surround flavor.

So is your only issue (with the handshake) the ticks when changing formats and the restart? No other issues, none of the formats are refusing to play through the Oppo's DAC?

As you stated, the limitation to optical is 2-channel only. A lot of my files are multichannel DVD-Audio and SACD multichannel. So I have to stick with HDMI. I would really like to use USB, but the only quality USB units that can handle high resolution multichannel files are way too expensive (e.g. Exsasound E28 at $3,200+).

I have almost exactly the same symptoms, with roughly the same frequency (i.e. rarely), and my setup is similar: Win7, Foobar, HDMI into AV receivers. I also solve it using the same methods you described. In other words, I'm no help at all! :upthumb

If it happened a little more often, I might be motivated to do some troubleshooting. As it stands, I'm not even sure where to begin. I'll report back if I get any brilliant ideas (don't wait up, heh).

-- Jim

Jim, I really appreciate the feedback. It's always good to know I'm not alone! It's not a big issue as it doesn't happen often. But when it does, it's a pain in the you know where.

As you stated, the limitation to optical is 2-channel only. A lot of my files are multichannel DVD-Audio and SACD multichannel. So I have to stick with HDMI. I would really like to use USB, but the only quality USB units that can handle high resolution multichannel files are way too expensive (e.g. Exsasound E28 at $3,200+).
Take a look at the miniDSP UDAC8. With some tweaking, it is very capable.

Take a look at the miniDSP UDAC8. With some tweaking, it is very capable.

Hi Kal, I've seen the UDAC8 and had a couple of concerns. First, it lacks volume control. Was hoping I wouldn't have to add a multichannel pre-amp. And I just don't like the idea of having to use the computer for volume control. My 2nd concern is the quality of the DAC. I'm looking for something equivalent to the Oppo 105 (ESS Saber).

Hi Kal, I've seen the UDAC8 and had a couple of concerns. First, it lacks volume control. Was hoping I wouldn't have to add a multichannel pre-amp. And I just don't like the idea of having to use the computer for volume control. My 2nd concern is the quality of the DAC. I'm looking for something equivalent to the Oppo 105 (ESS Saber).

Well, there's nothing between this and the exaSound except the Oppo.

Back