DBX 200 Users - Need Assistance

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr8track

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Since 2002/2003
I was wondering if someone who is using a pair of DBX 200 routing switchers in their quad system might talk me through how to hook up and play back a quad component. I have attempted to hook up my Akai 1730 SS and play back through my Pioneer QX 949. I can't get any sound. I'm guessing it may be an issue with having one of the selector buttons in the wrong position, but I've tried every thing I can think of and nothing seems to result in producing sound. I'm feeding the LINE IN and OUT of the DBX 200's to the 4 CH Tape 1 inputs and outputs. I've connected the AKAI 1730 to the TAPE 1 inputs and outputs on the DBX 200's (using one for front channel hookup and one for rear.) Not sure what I'm doing wrong, but if someone who uses these could talk me through the proper hookup of a quad reel into a quad receiver I can hopefully figure out what my problem is.
Thanks in advance for the assistance.

Hey George,

The first thing to check is whether your pair of 200's has the original metal "U" jumpers in the Noise Reduction: Encoder/Decoder jacks. They need to be jumpered across.......Encode out to Encode in, and Decode out to Decode in. If the jumpers are missing, you can just use RCA connectors to connect them.

Next thing is make sure that all the Sound Processor switches are in the "out" position (unless you have something connected there that you want in the circuit).

Next push in the Tape switch, then rotate the "monitor" switch to Tape 1 (if that is where the Akai is connected).

That should do it...........you should have sound. If doing all the above results in still no sound............then you need to re-check your connections to the Line in/out and/or the Tape1 in/out.

Let me know how it goes!

Bob,
The metal U jumpers are definitely missing. Would that in itself stop it from feeding sound? Anyway, I'll follow your directions and see what happens. One thing that has always been confusing about the Pioneer is that it's input and outputs are labeled "MONITOR" and "RECORD" rather than "IN" and "OUT." So, it's always a brain teaser for me to think it through and be sure I'm connecting it correctly.
I'll report back with my findings.
Thanks!

The metal U jumpers are definitely missing. Would that in itself stop it from feeding sound?

That will kill it dead in the water. The Encode/decode jacks set in between the line in and out. So, if it is NOT jumpered or a unit plugged in there.......you'll have absolutely no output.

Jump them across using RCA interconnects as I mentioned above, then let me know what you get.

Bob,
I hooked it up per your instructions and it did the trick, with one minor exception. The Right channel of the unit I'm using for the rear channels cuts in and out. I changed out the RCA cable just to be certain it wasn't a bad cable. Same problem. I'm suspecting it might be a problem with dirty contacts on the monitor switch or the Tape/Line button? Does that sound like a possibility? When it plays it plays fine, but then it eventually cuts out. Any thoughts?

Hey George,

The Tape/Mon switch as well as the Processor and pre/post switches are now becoming problematic on these. Haven't seen any problem with the rotary switches yet. You can try just working it in and out (alot) to clean it off a little............because they're minature pcb mounted switches, its next to impossible to get inside them to clean them. But, you're on the right track! Good luck,

Thanks Bob,
I'll give my button pushing finger a work out tonight when I get home.

Back