Deep Purple "Machine Head 50 (Deluxe)" 3CD+LP+BD-A w/ Atmos, US quad and 5.1 bonus (3/29/2024 -Universal)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Curious Canadians (or just "the curious", like @GOS) may wanna look at ImportCDs at CAN$109.64 (total). This is the cheapest I've found to Alberta having looked at other sites when they include shipping (i.e. Rhino, jpc.de, Amazon.fr, Burning Shed, and now Amazon.ca (which has it at $159.84 :eek:)).

I dunno what/if any duties/taxes may apply for importing it, but Shirley they can't be about $50 more than what Amazon.ca is asking.

Curious Canadians (or just "the curious", like @GOS) may wanna look at ImportCDs at CAN$109.64 (total). This is the cheapest I've found to Alberta having looked at other sites when they include shipping (i.e. Rhino, jpc.de, Amazon.fr, Burning Shed, and now Amazon.ca (which has it at $159.84 :eek:)).

I dunno what/if any duties/taxes may apply for importing it, but Shirley they can't be about $50 more than what Amazon.ca is asking.
And @GOS says "Don't call me Shirley". lol. :)

Pink Floyd also didn't create surround mixes of Wembley 1974 for either the 2011 Immersion sets or the DSOTM 50. It seems to be a specialty of the Jethro Tull sets to also offer 5.1 live audio.
The Pink Floyd sets were over-flowing with extras like outtakes, quad and 5.1 plus concert screen films. The Immersion sets were head and shoulders above the average box set. They were not short on fresh material to include like the new DP set is.
The soundcheck was already on the standalone CD that followed the older box set. I have that CD.
Oh, I didn't look to compare.

I'm still waiting to see if it shows up on Amazon. This reminds me of "The Yes Album" deluxe release a few months ago.

If it doesn't show up on Amazon in the next week I will just go for Rhino unless someone is selling a lot cheaper.
It's odd, Amazon still shows the set, but no price info. Slackers....

I was in the record store buying "Love it to Death" and the Machine Head album was playing on the store system. It was a moment when I realized I had crossed over to hard rock. The loud noisiness sounded suddenly very appealing. I didn't get the album right away. Shortly after that I was in the same store and they had in the bins front and center by the entrance this new double import album MADE IN JAPAN in very loose shrink wrap (glossy laminated UK jacket) and a big round gold foil price sticker that was slightly high even for a double album. I knew right then and there that Deep Purple were an important band and I needed the MIJ album even worse than Machine Head. I was 12 years old going on 13. I would get that UK import a short while later.

Last edited:
I would expect a US offered release, or copies sold in the US from Warners, not needing to have one imported. I think that is the plan, a worldwide release of a set pressed up in Europe. Am I missing something here.
the price disparity from various Euro Amazon shops is interesting. France the cheapest at $80.73 to UK the priciest at $121.39, and still no Amazon USA offering. Maddening.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-09 at 8.03.31 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-09 at 8.03.31 AM.png
    180.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
The remix of "Smoke on the Water" also doesn't seem to be available for listening outside the US yet...
It’s available on Apple Music here in the UK today.

I’m pretty disappointed to be honest. I’ve always loved the room tones of this record and they seemed to be wiped away. There’s a weird lifeless quality in this new mix that doesn’t feel right at all.

I’m pretty disappointed to be honest. I’ve always loved the room tones of this record and they seemed to be wiped away. There’s a weird lifeless quality in this new mix that doesn’t feel right at all.
I agree, at least in the stereo remix, the original mix’s snare always had a nice snappiness to it, but it sounds like there’s a blanket on the snare now.

Oh I get it. Some folks feel that they must support this totally out of control beast. I have stuff coming from them nearly every month as well.
Free shipping and tax exempt, kept me loyal. Plus all my credit cards are stored, shipping addresses, preferences... and I get points through Amex with them. It's frustrating to see a listing of Europe and/or Asian Amazon shops when the US is by far the largest market and will have the listing eventually... so why not up front?

The latest The Yes Album deluxe package is a good example. Overpaid for it through anther shop when it was released, as Amazon US did not have it. Until they did, and for less.

That's the degraded sound of streaming surround music at present. It's just shockingly lo-fi. High end truncated and everything. Troubled decodes of encoded quad vinyl sound more hi-fi. There IS a level of discrete that remains in the streaming audio that's not just nothing but the extreme lo-fi makes it just novelty. 24 bit lossless streaming is still stereo only. The movie watchers with their soundbars are covered but not surround music yet. Getting closer though and we DO have stereo now!

Back