Deep Purple "Machine Head 50 (Deluxe)" 3CD+LP+BD-A w/ Atmos, US quad and 5.1 bonus (3/29/2024 -Universal)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my importCD order says next Tuesday for delivery. Now, I Just glance at Amazon and they tempt me, yes they tempt me.... somebody stop me...I could order it now and get it this afternoon? Ughhhhhh

View attachment 103968
It's great to know of your options, but this set is not worth $80.00 that's the problem. Had they loaded up that BR disc with stereo mixes, UK quad, In Concert in surround, and maybe pressed up the live disc on vinyl we'd be talking. But they came up really short on this set, could not even slip a real book into the package. So no, you need not spend one more dime on this. You'll enjoy your surround disc, and flip through the booklet once, and then move on to the next big thing.

But it's a lovely thought, and we'd all like to have this "Quadio" set be a "big major event" and have it today.

It's great to know of your options, but this set is not worth $80.00 that's the problem. Had they loaded up that BR disc with stereo mixes, UK quad, In Concert in surround, and maybe pressed up the live disc on vinyl we'd be talking. But they came up really short on this set, could not even slip a real book into the package. So no, you need not spend one more dime on this. You'll enjoy your surround disc, and flip through the booklet once, and then move on to the next big thing.

But it's a lovely thought, and we'd all like to have this "Quadio" set be a "big major event" and have it today.
Sounds pretty good to me streaming in Atmos on Apple as I wait for the box set.

I know you're excited for the quad version, and have been passing little remarks about poor opinions of the Atmos, but Dweezil's mix is certainly worth a listen and a fair shake.

Different strokes, and so on, and shoobeedoobee doobie. ☮️

my importCD order says next Tuesday for delivery. Now, I Just glance at Amazon and they tempt me, yes they tempt me.... somebody stop me...I could order it now and get it this afternoon? Ughhhhhh

View attachment 103968
If you had it might be in your hand. Mine arrived last night around 8PM.

I listened to the Quad version, it's awesome (as I expected) and I'm glad to have it.

I listened to some of the Montreux '71 show. Terrible sound - Paice & Glover (drums & bass) are nowhere to be heard and vocals are distant & echo drenched. They did warn that it is an audience recording so wasn't expecting much. For me it is for historical purposes only because of the time and place, but doubt I will waste any time listening to it again.

Update: I have reside my opinion of the '71 show now that I actually have the box set and have listened on my main system. It is still not a great recording and the drums are barely heard (mainly guitar and organ), but it sounds better than my initial impression.

Last edited:

I know you're excited for the quad version, and have been passing little remarks about poor opinions of the Atmos, but Dweezil's mix is certainly worth a listen and a fair shake.

I agree on the streaming Atmos version. Sounds really good to me, pleasantly surprised as I wasn’t expecting much. A pretty wild ride, lots of panning and swirling of instruments including the overheads, especially the keyboards, if that’s your thing. You really have to crank the volume to get the juices flowing, it was mixed at a relatively low overall level.

Last edited:
Listening to the stereo remix, it’s so different. Definitely not the Wilson approach of retaining and respecting the original sonic feel of the album. Lots of panning, more reverb. It borders on being a mashup type remix because he’s adding parts that were not even there on the original (the end of Highway Star for example). I find the EQ to be really strange but overall it’s an interesting listen. I still prefer the original mix or even Roger Glover’s 1997 remixes.

Edit: The EQ choices have totally neutered the ballsy drums on Space Truckin’. So weak!

steaming Atmos version
Now my brain is trying to connect "Smoke on the Water" to boiling water 🤪
I listened to some of the Montreux '71 show. Terrible sound - Paice & Glover (drums & bass) are nowhere to be heard and vocals are distant & echo drenched. They did warn that it is an audience recording so wasn't expecting much. For me it is for historical purposes only because of the time and place, but doubt I will waste any time listening to it again.
If "Into the Fire", which was released as a teaser, is any indication, it's one of the better audience recordings of a rock concert from the early 1970s I've heard. Much more distinct than, say, a lot of the stuff Universal put on the Status Quo deluxe editions.

If "Into the Fire", which was released as a teaser, is any indication, it's one of the better audience recordings of a rock concert from the early 1970s I've heard. Much more distinct than, say, a lot of the stuff Universal put on the Status Quo deluxe editions.
I guess I would rather hear the whole band.

Update: I revised my opinion (a bit). See post #285.

Last edited:

I’ve stated only once that reviews of the Atmos mix have not been glowing. I’ve not been passing little comments. But I am excited about getting some real rock and roll in quad. And it sounds like it’s a nice transfer on this blu-ray too.

Great news folks are finally getting their sets. And paying $60 for this can work for plenty of us. Wouldn’t you agree that the discounted price is pretty decent in times of runaway inflation.

Here in Norway the price is about $120, and that's with discount. :rolleyes: As I'm only interested in the Atmos mix, I'll enjoy that on AM and let the rest be.:)

I did get my set, and here are some of my thoughts.

First of all, as others have mentioned, it is quite expensive for what you get, but for me, it was overall still o.k.

I have read some comments regarding that many people didn't like the mix of digital media with vinyl, and I can totally understand that (I was the exact same before I went back into vinyl). But since I got back into vinyl about 10 years ago, now I really don't mind it if they combine the different formats in that way.

The main thing that I really wanted was the US Quad mix on a physical disc, and I think the transfer is nicely done, and I am really happy that I finally own this mix on a physical disc.

I was also interested in hearing the new surround mix, and I think it is not bad, but also certainly not as good as the Quad mix. It does offer a few interesting things, and the new surround mix is at least also retaining good dynamics. Perhaps I will attempt to make a stereo downmix.

The other thing I was quite interested in is the live recording from 1971. It is not too often that we get an unreleased concert recording from the classic line-up. And despite some comments here, I actually think the sound quality is quite good. There is a bit of a sound problem shortly after "Speed King" started, but it gets fixed quicky, and then it sounds actually good to me.

It doesn't sound like an audience recording to me. way to defined and too much clarity, but I could be wrong. It sounds almost like a mono mix from the soundboard, or perhaps some kind of combination, I really don't know, perhaps it is an audience recording, and it was EQ'd accordingly to make it sound better. It sounds warm, full and clear to me. And most importantly, the dynamics are still there, it was not dynamically compressed very much (unlike the '72 live recording in the set). So that CD (Montreux '71) represents some real value for me also. I also like that Ritchie's guitar sound during that time is less distorted, compared to - for example - "Made in Japan", so you can hear some nice Fender Strat sounds reminicent of the tone Jimi Hendrix sometime had, for example during "The Wind Cries Mary".

The other CD's are not that great, mastered quite loud. The concert from '72 I already have in better sound quality, as well as the original mix. Too bad that the new stereo mix is mastered quite loud on the CD, and it is not on the Blu-ray (a little bit disappointing), but here comes the vinyl, that will be my "high-res" version of the new stereo mix. The vinyl pressing is of good quality, flat, well-centered, and no playback issues or pressing defects (such as non-fill etc.). And the purple-smoke-colored vinyl looks actually really nice. And I really like having "When a Blind Man Cries" on there before "Space Truckin'", I love that song, and the new mix is really good for that song, I think.

I also think the booklet is quite nice, with some pictures I haven't seen before (not sure what people were referring to when they said there is no real booklet with the release). And the cardboard slipcase is also sturdy, and I don't mind this type of packaging, it doesn't take away too much space on the shelf.

So, all in all, a bit on the pricey side (maybe around 60-70 Euros would have been more appropriate), but also not totally overpriced either.

If this is an important album to you, then it is a nice release.

Last edited:
I did get my set, and here are some of my thoughts.

I also think the booklet is quite nice, with some pictures I haven't seen before (not sure what people were referring to when they said there is no real booklet with the release). And the cardboard slipcase is also sturdy, and I don't mind this type of packaging, it doesn't take away too much space on the shelf.

So, all in all, a bit on the pricey side (maybe around 60-70 Euros would have been more appropriate), but also not totally overpriced either.

If this is an important album to you, then it is a nice release.
I'm the one that said not a real "book" included with the set, only "booklet." This is only because a bunch of nice recent box sets have included a hardbound book, a beautiful touch and show of class when you hold it and flip through the pages.

Glad you like the set. It does appear to be one of the more controversial box set reissues in recent memory.

INTERVIEW 29 MAR 2024

Ian Gillan on Deep Purple’s Machine Head​

The SDE interview​

https://superdeluxeedition.com/interview/ian-gillan-on-deep-purples-machine-head/

Ian Gillan: It’s really weird, because we still play these songs every night – not all of them obviously, as there are new songs involved, but ‘Smoke on the Water’, ‘Highway Star’, ‘Pictures of Home’ and ‘Lazy’ are still in the act. It feels like yesterday.

Have you been closely involved with the reissue and the remastering?

No – alongside it, we’ve been making a new Deep Purple record, so we were fairly remote. I think that’s a good thing because when we heard the first Dweezil Zappa mix, Roger and I were in Portugal at my studio – we were working on something else – and we went ‘What?’ And then we thought, ‘Hold on a moment – don’t compare it with the original…’

It is what it is, and we’ve got to listen to it for what it is and not compare it – it’s all different. I’ve seen the [new] video for ‘Smoke On The Water’, and it’s pretty good, so I’m looking at it from a fan’s point of view, rather than being in the band.

INTERVIEW 29 MAR 2024

Ian Gillan on Deep Purple’s Machine Head​

The SDE interview​

https://superdeluxeedition.com/interview/ian-gillan-on-deep-purples-machine-head/

Ian Gillan: It’s really weird, because we still play these songs every night – not all of them obviously, as there are new songs involved, but ‘Smoke on the Water’, ‘Highway Star’, ‘Pictures of Home’ and ‘Lazy’ are still in the act. It feels like yesterday.

Have you been closely involved with the reissue and the remastering?

No – alongside it, we’ve been making a new Deep Purple record, so we were fairly remote. I think that’s a good thing because when we heard the first Dweezil Zappa mix, Roger and I were in Portugal at my studio – we were working on something else – and we went ‘What?’ And then we thought, ‘Hold on a moment – don’t compare it with the original…’

It is what it is, and we’ve got to listen to it for what it is and not compare it – it’s all different. I’ve seen the [new] video for ‘Smoke On The Water’, and it’s pretty good, so I’m looking at it from a fan’s point of view, rather than being in the band.
I guess that stunning video for SMOKE ON THE WATER won't be included on the BD~A....correct?

I'm the one that said not a real "book" included with the set, only "booklet." This is only because a bunch of nice recent box sets have included a hardbound book, a beautiful touch and show of class when you hold it and flip through the pages.

Glad you like the set. It does appear to be one of the more controversial box set reissues in recent memory.
Hardbound books included in music boxsets are great, but I buy these for the music. So, if I can pay less for a set with a booklet so be it. Just my opinion.

Back