Deep Purple "Machine Head 50 (Deluxe)" 3CD+LP+BD-A w/ Atmos, US quad and 5.1 bonus (3/29/2024 -Universal)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Even in the video thumbnail shot, the booklet looks thin and cheap. And I don't think it is cheap. They just didn't go the extra mile (hardbound) on a 50th set which is when you are supposed to go all out right?
I would have been content with a cheap, mimeograph-produced booklet if the Atmos had been top-notch. Based on the streaming Smoke on the Water, I have a passionate dislike for what Dweezil has done.

To me, this was an album that deserved better than Dweezil’s mix. It’s only one song and maybe I’ll like the rest of his mixes. If not (and my expectations now aren’t high), I’ll be happy to have the quad version.

But I digress... yes, hardbound would have been a nice touch putting aside whatever extra it would have added to the price... which I would have paid because it’s such a great album by one of my favorite bands.

It's not uncommon for folks to buy a set like this and sell off the CDs and LP and keep the BR for the collection. That can bring the cost down to a reasonable dollar amount for just what one wants out of the deal.

At last the Atmos mix is available on AM in Spain. Just one listen and the mix is kind of ok. Nothing too adventurous, nothing wrong.
I don't know if it's the compression or the mastering or what, but everything sounds as if under a blanket, no highs or lows, all muffled.
I switched to Elbow's last record also on AM and the "colour" in the music returned.
Very strange feeling about Deep Purple, it was like listening to the record under the water.
Does anyone feel the same?
Edit: Just played Japanese SACD and the difference is night and day!

Last edited:
Trigger alert for those planning to watch the video above, who (like me), love to retain their hype stickers 😱
Actually, I try my best to retain the cellophane on the cover as well. I slice it open at the seam and slide all the stuff out and carefully but it back. He tore into it like a little kid opening a present at Christmas 😂

Actually, I try my best to retain the cellophane on the cover as well. I slice it open at the seam and slide all the stuff out and carefully but it back. He tore into it like a little kid opening a present at Christmas 😂
I keep the cellophane only if its the sort of box that the contents simply slide out on one side. It it's a box that opens like a clam, then I save the hype sticker and tape it on both sides with clear heavy shipping tape, then trim to size.

I keep the cellophane only if its the sort of box that the contents simply slide out on one side. It it's a box that opens like a clam, then I save the hype sticker and tape it on both sides with clear heavy shipping tape, then trim to size.
Retaining the cellophane on the clamshells are tough. Even though it's not a clamshell I was able to keep the cellophane on the 50th overnite sensation set. Nice idea with the heavy shipping tape with the hype sticker. Another reason why I like physical media, apple tv doesn't give you hype stickers 😂 or the fun challenge of keeping the cellophane intact.

I've noticed that they are unexpectedly easy to peel from the cellophane. I then stick them to the inside sleeve if it is non printed. A lot of times I replace that sleeve with a Mofi sleeve then stick it on.

Very Fuzzy on how much of the album is included in Quad!
"Blu Ray Audio will hold rare 1974 U.S. Quad mixes and three tracks in 5.1 audio from 2012, but also a brand new Atmos mix of the full album"

Then again, I'll likely prefer the Atmos mix anyway...
"three tracks in 5.1 audio from 2012"

these are just three tracks from the original 5.1 DVD-A from 2001, which were included in a 2012 set as well. It's lazy crediting.

Back