Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Sux

• Total voters

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Warner Bros. BS4 2607/Purple Q4TPSA 7504.

Side 1:

Highway Star
Maybe I'm a Leo
Pictures of Home
Never Before

Side 2:

Smoke on the Water
Lazy
Space Truckin'

ED :)

Quad Linda

Staff member
10. Music is superb! Mix is an 8 or 9. I prefer the DVD-A mix, and I've heard them all. I have a UK SQ LP, UK SQ CD, DVD-A, UK DVD-V and CD-4 of this, not to mention 4 2ch mixes. BTW: Funky Claude (Nobs) passed on last week.

She's got everything!
Deep-Purple-Machine-HeadQuad-67803.jpg
4852623430.jpg

Q-Eight

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
I'll admit, you have to hear this one come from the Q4 reel. The 8-track does not do this album justice. The Quad mix is great on the reel because you can hear all the subtle placements of the drum kit. Good static mix, but then again, this kind of music doesn't lend itself to gimmicks, so it works.

Reactions: GOS

LizardKing

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Dumb question - I presume this is the same mix as the UK EMI SACD?

jimfisheye

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Great use of the format for this album. Loud powerful Deep Purple music spread out into 4 speakers instead of just 2. Simple as that. No fancy movement but good use of placement to capture the depth of the sound without the compression needed for stereo to work.

The QR copy is the one you want.

I haven't heard that SACD (still not convinced this Foobar DSD > PCM conversion works either). I have heard a 5.1 remix (I don't think it was a bootleg - could have been) that sounded like one of those circa 2000 DVDA bonus track 5.1 remixes. Just amateur hour awfulness (mostly stereo in front, awkward reverb in back and a couple surround pans). Oh, and the fronts were brick-walled to the extreme (like what you need to do for program intended to be reduced to 16 bit). On second thought, almost certainly a bootleg.

winopener

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Dumb question - I presume this is the same mix as the UK EMI SACD?
No: it is a different mix and - sorry for Our Kwad Lady - but imho this is the best surround mix of the three (UK sq/q8/sacd OR USA dvd-a/Jap SACD).

LizardKing

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
No: it is a different mix and - sorry for Our Kwad Lady - but imho this is the best surround mix of the three (UK sq/q8/sacd OR USA dvd-a/Jap SACD).
Thanks! Another one to track down.....:)

Q8

This is one that I give 10 to, that I would give 11 if I could. The mix is just perfect for this material. I would say this one has worked up to one of my top fvorite quads. I have the CD-4.

MIDIQ

600 Club - QQ All-Star
Since 2002/2003
A definate 10. One of top 10 favorite quads.

quicksrt

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
I did a needle drop from a NM copy of the US CD-4 LP at 24/96kHz.

It's my favorite listening for a program of the album in stereo. More air, nicer high end, tight bass. More of an audiophile experience than the standard sludgy stereo mix. Being a hard rock metal type album the murky mess of the stereo mix seems intentional.

And I have a DVD-A of the Q4 conversion which is of course great.

jimfisheye

I had only heard the US quad mix and the 5.1 remix when I last posted.
The 5.1 remix is what I already said. An unambitious remix that sounded quickly knocked out (like most of the circa 2000's DVDA surround remixes). Mostly stereo with a couple pans and ambience in the back.

I've since heard the UK quad mix...

The US quad mix wins hands down! The UK mix is more primitive. It has that cookie cutter quad mix style with the guitar and keys pulled out into the rears. Same edit in Lazy (I think was the song) as the stereo mix. The extended extra guitar solo is unique to the US quad mix. The US quad mix is a much more realized mix. Drum spot mics to the front and room mics in the back. Instruments and voices all around throughout. Best fidelity of all 3 mixes by far as well. (Note, you need to find an unmolested analog copy! This one has never had an official digital release. There's a shared fan made DVDA of the Q4 US quad making the rounds that has channel balance and fidelity issues but still cleans up pretty well.)

Marcsten

500 Club - QQ All-Star
Since 2002/2003
Right you are. I had the Q8 for a long time and of course every song is a classic. It lived in my Datsun with its Craig four channel tape deck until it dissolved. A few years later, a friend who was not into quad came in my college dorm room with the German SQ and asked if I wan ted it. Hell yes!! About a year later I spend all my tuition on my Audionics S & IC and this one is one that has always decoded really well. BUT. Its a very different mix than that USA Q8 form high school. And I agree the German SQ is way better.