Dire Straits Alchemy - Blu-Ray coming in 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Check it out!! (Also on a DVD-V with DTS 5.1)

http://www.mark-knopfler.info/d2010.htm

Universal Music announced the details of Alchemy – Dire Straits Live re-release. The re-release will include 3 versions: DVD (cat. nbr.0602527336305), Blu-Ray (cat. nbr.0602527336312) and DVD + 2 CD deluxe edition (cat. nbr. 0602527336299). The release date: May 03 – 07, 2010.

Previously the Alchemy – Dire Straits Live album (recorded live at at Hammersmith Odeon in London) was released on LP and CD in 1983, and on VHS in 1984. Now, the picture and sound have been digitally remastered in high definition (DVD & Blu-Ray) and 5.1 surround sound (DTS & DTS HD Master). The original tapes was remixed by Mark’s co-pilot Chuck Ainlay.

1.Once Upon a Time in the West
2.Expresso Love
3.Romeo & Juliet
4.Private Investigations
5.Sultans of Swing
6.Two Young Lovers
7.Tunnel of Love
8.Telegraph Road
9.Solid Rock
10.Going Home - Theme from 'Local Hero'
Bonus (79 min) - Live TV Performances
•Tunnel Of Love [8:53] The Old Grey Whistle Test 29/11/1980
•Sultans of Swing [9:43] The Old Grey Whistle Test 16/05/1978
•Documentary BBC Arena: Dire Straits [58 mins] 22/12/1980

It's so weird that I was just listening to the album the other day and now this (cue the Twilight Zone Music.... now). Another definite buy for me!

Wonderful news ! Thanks for the tip Jon, hopefully I would have found it on my own before it went OOP :>)

Good early find Jon. Now this might be the product that gets me buying a Blu player. I used to have the twin cassette (?) and it is a good collection of their material and if I remember correctly it sounded pretty good for a live recording.

Great news on this.
Thanks for the heads up Jon, this will be a welcome addition.:smokin

Chuck Ainley did a bang up job on Brothers in Arms so that's a good sign and substantial bonus TV appearances makes for a sure thing.

The only site I have found so far is play.com UK. The usual outlets are blank?

I hope that the sound will be worthy, because the picture will NOT. Whatever software they use to enhance the original film, it won't change the fact that all that was captured that night was nothing but coloured shadow silhouettes moving in a permanent blur...

I am hoping for a good audio mix too. I watch the video of concerts on a discs first play. I can not think of a concert DVD in any format that I have watched over (2) times and I own more than a few, but I have had countless listening sessions. I have my hopes up for this one.

Here's what I found from my iinquiries:
WB is the representative for Mark Knopfler and Dire
Straits in U.S. But as far as I know, WB is not going to release
Alchemy. I have unconfirmed information that the Alchemy reissue (DVD
only, cat.nbr 06025 273 3630 5) will be released by Hip-O Records
under UM license, and it is very strange.

It looks like that Blu-Ray will be available for US buyers as an import
from Europe.

Thanks Kal for checking into that! Strange situation I would say. Looks like a trip to amazon.uk is in order.

I've been hunting around for this this morning. Amazon.uk doesn't list it, amazon japan doesn't list it, amazon.ca doesn't list it. Play.com lists it but doesn't ship outside of Europe. HMV Japan lists it for about $54 with shipping. I just checked amazon.com and they now have the DVD listed with a release date of May 18, 2010 on Hip-O Select\UMG for $10.49. I'm hoping the blu-ray will be listed by Amazon soon.
Anyone else find any alternatives that will ship to the US for a reasonable price?

Amazon UK has it listed for $22.80 US delivered. It is a Blu-Ray disc only with no CD or MP3 download. I already own the Red Book CD, so this works for me.

Amazon UK has it listed for $22.80 US delivered. It is a Blu-Ray disc only with no CD or MP3 download. I already own the Red Book CD, so this works for me.

OPPS, Amazon UK is Region 3, so to Amazon US I go. Great buy from the UK if you own a Region-Free player.

Back