HiRez Poll Dire Straits - BROTHERS IN ARMS [SACD/DVD-A DualDisc]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD/DVD-A of Dire Straits - BROTHERS IN ARMS

• Total voters
A few things musically grabbed me when I played it front to back today. Loved "So Far From Me", "Ride Across the River", "Man's Too Strong"; all were top-shelf for me.

You didn't mention Walk of Life. Unfortunately, I can no longer hear to that song without the Farxiga commercial popping into my head. (Oh boy, now I am sure to have a Walk of Life earworm for the remainder of the day. :eek:)

You didn't mention Walk of Life. Unfortunately, I can no longer hear to that song without the Farxiga commercial popping into my head. (Oh boy, now I am sure to have a Walk of Life earworm for the remainder of the day. :eek:)
Had to Google that beastie...But, wished I hadn't (haha). Been out of the US for 20 years so there's a load of "culture" I have missed out on.

I worked at Target in my university days, and Money For Nothing was in heavy rotation on Bloomington's top 10 radio station during the closing clean up. I still cringe when I hear it today (Ps...Sorry to those who really dig this track).

I went back to school for A full time DC electronics course in '78 and the song always on the radio was by this great band called Dire Straits as the backdrop to studying alongside next to high school kids that just absorbed so easily what I worked semi hard to understand. To the sound of "Sultans of Swing" echoing throughout the lab, I built my final test, a working FM radio that could tune at least one station in.
why worry? So far away makes this...
....a soldier of fortune, I'm a dog of war....

After 15 years of having the SACD I am rating this a 10. Not because anything is truly outstanding but because everything blends so well that the sum of the parts exceed the overall. It took me quite a few years, I bought it in 2005, before I really appreciated it and currently I probably listen to Brother In Arms several times a month. Favorite tracks easily are The Man Is Too Strong and Brother In Arms.

After 15 years of having the SACD I am rating this a 10. Not because anything is truly outstanding but because everything blends so well that the sum of the parts exceed the overall. It took me quite a few years, I bought it in 2005, before I really appreciated it and currently I probably listen to Brother In Arms several times a month. Favorite tracks easily are The Man Is Too Strong and Brother In Arms.
The “Brothers in Arms” Track is good enough to being me to tears. Pure musical genius, expressed with a combination of power and restraint. In my top 5 songs.

I voted 10 on this when it first came out, but didn't comment... until now. I have both the SACD and dual disc versions, and to be honest, there ain't much difference between the two. They both sound amazing. Knopfler has done a few other albums that were released in surround; I recommend "Sailing to Philadelphia" as another top-notch mix. "Shangri-La" is also very good. If you haven't already, check them out.

From time to time I’ll get a new multichannel disc, pop it in, and it’s like hearing every song for the first time.

This was one of those experiences. The soundstage is incredibly large, the vocals are crystal clear and up front, and the surround mix is impeccable.

”Walk of Life” was never one of my favorite tracks, but I heard Mark’s guitar in an entirely different way on this disc. The rhythm reminds me of a locomotive moving steadily down the track, and made me think of some of Johnny Cash‘s great guitar songs. I love every song on here now, but my favorite track is probably “Your Latest Trick.” Wow. IMO it’s a damn near perfect surround mix and reminds me why I decided to take the plunge into high resolution audio in the first place.

Amazingly, this disc is still affordable. If you don’t own it, get it.

Back