HiRez Poll Dire Straits - BROTHERS IN ARMS [SACD/DVD-A DualDisc]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD/DVD-A of Dire Straits - BROTHERS IN ARMS

• Total voters
I love this mix, it really takes the sound of this LP to the next level. I did, however, grow up listening to this album on LP rather than CD, so the CD-length tracks on side 1 sound a bit weird to me. I've just spent the best part of the afternoon editing side 1 of the SACD mix down to the LP length (save "Walk of Life" which is the same) and it just sounds "right" to me. Nice to have the extended versions, but this is the version of the album that I know.

I love this mix, it really takes the sound of this LP to the next level. I did, however, grow up listening to this album on LP rather than CD, so the CD-length tracks on side 1 sound a bit weird to me. I've just spent the best part of the afternoon editing side 1 of the SACD mix down to the LP length (save "Walk of Life" which is the same) and it just sounds "right" to me. Nice to have the extended versions, but this is the version of the album that I know.
Interesting take. I would not touch the SACD/DualDisc tracks myself, I think they are pretty much perfect. Go with what you know, I guess.
I just wish there was more surround from Knopfler/Dire Straits in toto. Some back catalog rework of Dire Straits into surround would be great.

I had no idea that the LP and CD had tracks of different lengths. Very interesting tidbit!

Amazing sound. Especially the non-so-popular (relatively speaking) ones sound even better. The vocals are crystal clear. In fact i found the vocals best among all the mixes including 2013 MFSL stereo SACD which is also highly rated.
I did find that "So far away" somewhat was a bit lacking in the surround ( felt it mostly focussed on center channel). I felt the MFSL stereo mix in 2013 sounded better for that track.
Would give 9.5 (taking away 0.5 for the above point) but rounding it up and gave it a 10 ( considering the clarity of vocals especially in the title song).

Last edited:
Been filling in some holes in my collection. Every time I found this available it was always a ridiculous price, so I just skipped it. $24.99 popped up on Amazon and that was a no-brainer.

I have always loved this record and the title track is a long time fave. My Dire Straits tastes lean more toward Telegraph Road flavor than the pop stuff like Money for Nothing & Walk of Life. So I was prepared to just be happy to have this one in the herd.

Then I played it and BAM! It was jumping out of all the speakers like it had a rocket boost. I'm not sure what they did in the mix but it is one of the most forward and engaging I've ever heard. Not overpowering or gimmicky just fully separated and projected out in a pleasing wave of sound.

If I remember right this was one of the first recordings to be all digital processing, record, mix and master DDD on the CD label. I don't know if that enabled them to start with a product very amenable to digital manipulation, but it certainly turned out that way. I assume there are other factors in play as I have plenty of other full digital surround pieces that aren't anywhere near this likely to be sitting in your lap.

It says Chuck Ainlay and Bob Ludwig did the mix and I guess I need to see if there is anything else they worked on that I don't own because I will buy it, damn the price.

Then I played it and BAM! It was jumping out of all the speakers like it had a rocket boost.

It says Chuck Ainlay and Bob Ludwig did the mix and I guess I need to see if there is anything else they worked on that I don't own because I will buy it, damn the price.

Fantastic review by the way! I happen to have that and yes, it sounds really nice from all speakers. I also happen to have a DVD Audio of Linkin Park Reanimation and the audio hits me in the same way you describe. According to a search it was "produced by Mike Shinoda and mixed by Mark "Spike" Stent..." but I don't know of that was just the stereo mix or if that was the person who did the 5.1 mix.

According to the linier notes, DVD-Audio mastered by Bob Ludwig
Produced by Don Gilmore, Mixed by Andy Wallace.

Oh wait, Bob Ludwig's name is on it! So maybe this one would be a good suggestion? Glad I looked into it!

I voted 9, it would have been a 10 but for “Walk of life” I absolutely hate, loathe and detest that song, it’s like something you would hear a band in a crappy club playing

I voted 9, it would have been a 10 but for “Walk of life” I absolutely hate, loathe and detest that song, it’s like something you would hear a band in a crappy club playing
I get it. I could live out the rest of my days happily without ever hearing that track again. Definitely my least favorite track on that album.

If I remember right this was one of the first recordings to be all digital processing, record, mix and master DDD on the CD label.
When I interviewed Chuck Ainlay last year, he told me that it was tracked digitally (on a Sony 3324 machine) and then mixed on an analog console. So I guess it's actually "DAD" rather than "DDD". The 5.1 version was also mixed analog.
Knopfler's Sailing To Philadelphia is also a great surround mix, though musically I don't rate it as high as this. If you're set up for streaming, the Atmos mix of Lyle Lovett's 12th Of June that he did recently is also pretty amazing.

I don't like it either. Bet you don't much like hearing Knopfler singing "twisting by the pool"? lol. I mean, I get the song. I just don't like it.

I don't like it either. Bet you don't much like hearing Knopfler singing "twisting by the pool"? lol. I mean, I get the song. I just don't like it.
Now that you mention it I don’t like that either, but since it’s not in surround I don’t feel the need to buy whatever album it’s on

Back