HiRez Poll Dire Straits - BROTHERS IN ARMS [SACD/DVD-A DualDisc]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD/DVD-A of Dire Straits - BROTHERS IN ARMS

• Total voters
I prefer listening to music with the center channel turned off. My receiver will split the center information between the left and right front speakers, which sounds better, to me at least, than isolating the vocals to the center speaker. I turn the center on for movies.

I prefer listening to music with the center channel turned off. My receiver will split the center information between the left and right front speakers, which sounds better, to me at least, than isolating the vocals to the center speaker. I turn the center on for movies.
At least you have a perfect match for tonality for the phantom center when you do that!

I agree with this if a screen is in the way and the center can't be optimally placed for music, I prefer phantom center. For movies, I like a center and subs regardless.

I agree with this if a screen is in the way and the center can't be optimally placed for music, I prefer phantom center. For movies, I like a center and subs regardless.
Phantom center is, essentially, the same thing I'm doing. When the center channel is turned off in the speaker menu on the receiver, the center information folds into the front speakers. This creates the phantom center effect. If the music, on a discrete source, has no center channel, in other words, 4.0 or 4.1, the center speaker is going to be silent anyway. Turning off the center channel speaker, as I'm doing, does the same thing.

Phantom center is, essentially, the same thing I'm doing. When the center channel is turned off in the speaker menu on the receiver, the center information folds into the front speakers. This creates the phantom center effect. If the music, on a discrete source, has no center channel, in other words, 4.0 or 4.1, the center speaker is going to be silent anyway. Turning off the center channel speaker, as I'm doing, does the same thing.
I do the same thing, except using software, rather than a receiver.

Back