Dolby Atmos® FAQ

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I actually have a 5.1.4 speaker system but only have 7.1 channel AVR so it's really a 5.1.2 Atmos system with front upward firing (Dolby Atmos). I thought given the futile nature of upward firing Atmos and given the steeper angle that it fires sound upwards, the sound reaches just behind the center of the room. And since my surround sound system is "couch against the wall" it occured to me, why don't I bring the upward firing speakers from front to the rears for the Atmos effect.

So all in all, for fronts it was four short wires right behind the console, but now I'll be routing 4 wires across the room.

Just a little experiment till I ultimately drill holes in the ceiling for actual Atmos.

Hello everyone,
I kept searching for a thread only related to the accessories part of an Atmos setup and without any luck I have chosen to post my question here.

I was wondering if there are 4 channel speaker wires allowing me to run two channels off a single speaker unit with upward firing Dolby Atmos speaker. I would run two speakers wires, but it occured to me that there has to be 4 channel speaker wires too. But my search on Amazon has been futile. The wires are either too thick (I can't conceal to some extent) and black or brown in color, however now that I type this I occurs to me that I could simply paint the section of the exposed wires my wall color to camaflouge them. Nonetheless such 4 channel wires are pretty pricey on Amazon and too thick and...way too much for the small space that I have.

250ft 16AWG 4 Conductors (16/4) CL2 Rated Speaker Cable True Spec & Gauge Low Voltage LED Copper Clad Aluminum Wire, Pull Box (for in-Wall Installation) (16AWG / 4 Conductors, 250ft) https://a.co/d/jdGvIur
I used this to wire 4 heights for Atmos:
https://www.amazon.com/GearIT-4-Con...refix=GearIT+14/4+,electronics,99&sr=1-3&th=1

Hello everyone,
I kept searching for a thread only related to the accessories part of an Atmos setup and without any luck I have chosen to post my question here.

I was wondering if there are 4 channel speaker wires allowing me to run two channels off a single speaker unit with upward firing Dolby Atmos speaker. I would run two speakers wires, but it occured to me that there has to be 4 channel speaker wires too. But my search on Amazon has been futile. The wires are either too thick (I can't conceal to some extent) and black or brown in color, however now that I type this I occurs to me that I could simply paint the section of the exposed wires my wall color to camaflouge them. Nonetheless such 4 channel wires are pretty pricey on Amazon and too thick and...way too much for the small space that I have.

250ft 16AWG 4 Conductors (16/4) CL2 Rated Speaker Cable True Spec & Gauge Low Voltage LED Copper Clad Aluminum Wire, Pull Box (for in-Wall Installation) (16AWG / 4 Conductors, 250ft) https://a.co/d/jdGvIur

Blue Jeans Cable sells Canare 4S11 Cable which is a 4 conductor 14 gauge cable suitable for bi-wiring, but it would also work for your use.

That's all fine but my real question for options for 2 channel speaker wires. 16 gauge. Or do I just use the 100 feet roll of 1 channel wire, glue it together into a single wire so I don't have two wires dangling from a single speaker. Again, this is upward firing Atmos speaker so it's handling 2 channels.
It looks to me like you’re trying to get the smallest wiring you can for a couple of bounce speakers. You can probably save a little by combining the black connections and using a three-wire cable. Most stereo amplifiers have a neutral terminal signified by a black binding post, although you should verify that before you try it.

Since it’s the atmos channels and probably won’t be handling large amounts of power, you could also use something like 18 or 20 guage wire, although I wouldn’t combine the neutral in that case.

Back