Doobie Bros. Takin' it to the Streets 40th Anniversary and ....

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Doobies were the Quads (+Hissing Of Summer Lawns) I really wanted as a student, but the cost of the CD-4 demod was too much (I'd bought the Shure cartridge - which I still have somewhere!), so I never bought any :( Just the few SQ LPs I could find. I saw The Doobies over 15 years ago supporting Foreigner, they were incredible and musically blew Foreigner clean off stage, who were way louder - and I really like Foreigner.

Two things gave me More Than a Feeling that Quad was dead or dying:
1- Quadradisc stickers on Hissing of Summer Lawns and One of These Nights instead of dedicated Quad jackets
2- No Quad release for Boston

I loved the Doobies from the first time I heard Listen to the Music. I've seen/heard them live several times. I'm complete on them, including Kwads, SACD's and Blu-Rays. IMHO, Takin' it to the Streets is their best album.

Perhaps the Quads will get a digital re-release when MoFi's licensing agreement is over. Jewel Boxes would be nice, too, rather than sleazy cardboard sleeves. Jim at MoFi likes to do it "on the cheap" and hates surround.

I recently watched the Doobies documentary on Blu-Ray. It's excellent and has some great bonus live performances. My only two bitches are small ones:
1- No mention was made of Moby Grape's Skip Spence, who was instrumental in the Doobies early story
2- Also no mention of them going by the name Pud early on

Mention was made of that "Moby Grape sound" when they added a third guitar by adding the odiferous Mr. Baxter. BTW: Moby Grape is my all-time favorite band.

Maybe, but I think "all is not lost" as we did get ROXY AND ELSEWHERE albeit not the quad disc, but a 5.1 mix by the legend of surround/quad in the form of Bruce Botnick, no less.

Roxy has no real surround mix. The crappy DD mix literally has next to nothing in rears.

Roxy has no real surround mix. The crappy DD mix literally has next to nothing in rears.

Hit and a miss I think.Some tracks are limited others not so.I thought I read (liner notes ?) that the tapes were damaged, or missing for some tracks and the surround release was in serious jeopardy.
Never the less, I'm happy to have it.

Now back to Doobies;

Those mixes were very well done, supported by the artist, and I hope that A.F. can come through with some of these and Takin It To The Streets, should the quad be available.

That Doobies Bros. possible quad mix could indeed exsist for another reason, as the artists were probably in favour of quad having released four already, not in quick concession.
I btw think their quad mixes were out standing. Very much welcome by quadraphiles and perhaps now, A.F. ?

Black Water is a favorite quad mix for me. AF should include this on their upcoming WB quad sampler, as soon as one is upcoming.

Black Water is a favorite quad mix for me. AF should include this on their upcoming WB quad sampler, as soon as one is upcoming.

Yes agreed ,that song is spectacular in QUAD !! I think "Vices" is a better disc than "Captain", and hope A.F.goes 4it soon."Toulouse"would be welcome as well but "Vices" is tops for my money.(y)(y)

Back