Dream Theater Distance Over Time CD/5.1 BluRay

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very interested to hear people's thoughts.
I havent pre-ordered a copy so honest opinions welcome before i commit.
I read Rich Chyki needed the processing power below to sweeten James's voice:)
I wonder if they are taking it out on the road?

Very interested to hear people's thoughts.
I havent pre-ordered a copy so honest opinions welcome before i commit.
I read Rich Chyki needed the processing power below to sweeten James's voice:)
I wonder if they are taking it out on the road?
View attachment 38614
You’re saying Rich Chyki the dude who did the RUSH HEMISPHERE box set mixed this!!!! Oh ..... no!!!! I’m returning mine as soon as I get it!!!

Well,the mix is far from as good as the DVD-A mix,but the fidelity is good ,I like the music too.Mostly reverb and echo in the rears and some vocals and instruments now and then.Track 6 now,synth solo goes to the rearso_O More to follow...Edit ,track 7,isolated vocals in the rears.
Track 8 nice ballad with nice video.(All tracks have videos)Track 9 starts with sound effects in the rear,some space stuff.Track 10,a fresh rocker.
All and all,dissapointed by the mix but I like the music and the fidelity.!;)

Last edited:
Well,I played selected tracks a second time and now I think there is more and better rear activity:unsure: Only thing I did was I checked my levels and reduced center level by 1db.The other levels were spot on.The only other thing I did was pouring a Scotch on the rocks 🥃Maybe that did the trick? I'm confused......:rolleyes:

I'm referring to the Dream Theater self-titled album 5.1 mix,the only one on DVD-A.I thought this mix was by Chycki,but I checked now and it's
by a Peter van't Riet.Never heard of him.(where do they get these names from?:rolleyes:)
Chycki recorded all the vocals.

Last edited:
I‘m listenting to it right now and my advice:
Crank them rears up (here +5 db) and you will notice it is a discrete mix but the rears are not used as they could be.
I would love to see some waves from the mix.
Why do I have to push the rears?
What did they do in the studio?

So am I
Deff too quiet in the rears..and mine are already cranked up.
But, so far, I like the music
And not the dreaded double stereo either..phew

[/QUOTE
Still not good enough for me to order the Super Deluxe Box Set for resale unless there is a major price reduction!! I'd like to get a good deal on just the Deluxe Set with the 5.1 Disc JUST FOR MYSELF but still too expensive as I'm really not a BIG FAN of Dream Theater.....If anyone comes up with a GREAT price on either please let me know. Thanks

Last edited:
Back