Dual Disc DualDiscs Ahoy!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelydave

Super Moderator
Staff member
Since 2002/2003
J&R Music World has these discs available for pre-order. Looks like about 2 Sonys, 4 Warners, and a whole load of Silverline..

Dave.

Boy,

Those are titles that will have the line at Best Buy forming at 6am!

UGH!

:-jon

JonUrban said:
Boy,

UGH!

Great titles to launch a new format. :mad:@:
Where do these companies get their marketing people?

The Trapt disc looks good, the notes say that it contains a 5.1 version of the album, as well as 7 music videos. This is a great up and coming band.

The top 3 are all Sony, didn't check the rest yet.
I wonder what type of DVD we are talking about here, especially with the Sony ones.
DVD-V layers are a waste of time, as you will only get lossy multichannel on them.
Using DVD-A, it is possible to have lossless multichannel along with lossy multichannel in a video_TS folder. This would truly be the way forward.
Otherwise, it is a missed opportunity - and I cannot see Sony using a DVD-A layer.

I mean, what is the point of using a DVD-V layer - none!
None at all.
But somehow I don't hold out much hope.

neil wilkes said:
I mean, what is the point of using a DVD-V layer - none!
None at all.
How about the ability to store 24 bit/96 khz stereo PCM tracks? That's pretty big to me, especially for an album like Kind Of Blue!

Not sure if that's what they'll have, but not all of us consider M/C sound the only reason to use one of the new formats. An audiophile will always appreciate an upgrade in sound quality on their favorite music.

Scott

JonUrban said:
Boy,

UGH!

Well there is one disc worth checking out at least, a Robert Cray title. Even though Cray has become a bit predictable, he is still an amazing player. If you have never seen him in concert, it is always a wonderful gig. This is a studio title and a decent one.

Universal already has some announced as does EMI. Some nice titles are Nine Inch Nails, Norah Jones, and Seal's Greatest Hits. Neil Young, The Grateful Dead and some more have also been announced. I am sure we'll see more to come soon.

sbernstein said:
How about the ability to store 24 bit/96 khz stereo PCM tracks? That's pretty big to me, especially for an album like Kind Of Blue!

Not sure if that's what they'll have, but not all of us consider M/C sound the only reason to use one of the new formats. An audiophile will always appreciate an upgrade in sound quality on their favorite music.

Scott
I hear you - but this can be done in a DVD-A/V layer just as easily.
Bet Sony don't do 24/96 stereo.
A DVD-V layer will probably be 16/48 with video content.
But we will see.
I cannot see Sony doing anything that might conflict with SACD.

keenan said:
When is this one due out?

Jim

Nov 23. It will be available in both DualDisc and SA-CD. Trent did all of the multi-channel mixes himself for The Downward Spiral.

What I find amazing is.. this is supposed to be the BIG rollout of DualDisc and the DualDisc homepage still says COMING SOON!! It's supposed to be next Tuesday... how much sooner can it be??

Kris Deering said:
Nov 23. It will be available in both DualDisc and SA-CD. Trent did all of the multi-channel mixes himself for The Downward Spiral.
Thank God. He probably "gets it", as some of us like to say. Nothing worse that someone not taking advantage of the 5.1 channels (are you listening Nick Didia!)

daved64 said:
Thank God. He probably "gets it", as some of us like to say. Nothing worse that someone not taking advantage of the 5.1 channels (are you listening Nick Didia!)

I think a lot of them "get it", I think it's more a matter of whether there is enough of a market for 'it".

Jim :)

There are a couple decent titles here, but overall I think these are really, really poor choices for a new format. (How about the new U2?) I'm curious about DD, but I have to pass on these. They're pretty underwhelming.

BOSSMAN said:
There are a couple decent titles here, but overall I think these are really, really poor choices for a new format. (How about the new U2?) I'm curious about DD, but I have to pass on these. They're pretty underwhelming.

Not only that, there are more than a couple that have already been released in surround sound on DVD-A or SACD. I already own 3 {Silverline, a couple of their few good ones} and have bought 2 more and sold them {Silverline} because they weren't very good. There are a couple that sound like they might be interesting, but certainly nothing that will make me run out to the store to get them. Hopefully the next batch will be better, and soon.

BOSSMAN said:
U2's new album would have been a great choice to open the door for Hi-rez 5:1....I wonder if they(U2) were ever approched on having the new or even past albums put out in surround??

Strangely enough I was talking to some people about this at the weekend. Attempts have been made to get them on board with multi-channel, but nothing has come to fruition yet...

Bob Romano said:
What I find amazing is.. this is supposed to be the BIG rollout of DualDisc and the DualDisc homepage still says COMING SOON!! It's supposed to be next Tuesday... how much sooner can it be??
Well I notice they have updated the site now, but only to enlighten those that do not know what a dualdisc might be all about. Other than a reference to Five for Fighting's "The Battle for Everything" no release information can be found. It says to check back soon for more information.

Back