Dutton Vocalion UK mining the Sony Music quad catalog for Multichannel SACD release!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stereo only bunnies Ralphie, they've not multiplied into Quad in typical wabbit fashion :eek:

Oops.....I saw the SACD logo and assumed.:yikes

Well anyway I was looking at the 11 solid 5* reviews over at AmazonUS as it garnered excellent reviews especially the track "Bright Eyes" as sung by Art Garfunkel. https://www.amazon.com/Watership-Do...s=watership+down+soundtrack+cd&tag=acleint-20

I'll probably add it to my shopping list at any rate considering the bargain price. AmazonUS is charging $25 for the RBCD!

I've always been a sucker for movie soundtracks and there are so few available on hi res physical disc.

I said a year ago that SACD two-fers were the way of the future for many artists and titles. It's now proven correct.

Dutton/Vocalion has been releasing two-fers for years. I think we're extremely fortunate (and also thankful) that they've chosen to keep that philosophy for most of their Multichannel SACDs.

Oops.....I saw the SACD logo and assumed.:yikes

Well anyway I was looking at the 11 5* reviews over at AmazonUS and it garnered excellent reviews especially the track "Bright Eyes" as sung by Art Garfunkel. https://www.amazon.com/Watership-Do...s=watership+down+soundtrack+cd&tag=acleint-20

I'll probably add it to my shopping list at any rate considering the bargain price. AmazonUS is charging $25 for the RBCD!

maybe bugs got multichannel myxomatosis and they had to put his watership down..

"how can the disc that shines so brightly only be stereo.. bright eyessssssss...!!!"

I'll probably get it too, I love that song and Gert FartUncle sings it so blummin' emotionally with such pathos, aramis and dogtanian .. that song alone could make a grown man break down and open his wallet, I don't care if it is in 2 channels count me in! :ugham:

Jesus these 20 hour days are gonna do me in. Goodnight Ralphie 4 ears! :upthumb

maybe bugs got multichannel myxomatosis and they had to put his watership down..

"how can the disc that shines so brightly only be stereo.. bright eyessssssss...!!!"

I'll probably get it too, I love that song and Gert FartUncle sings it so blummin' emotionally with such pathos, aramis and dogtanian .. that song alone could make a grown man break down and open his wallet, I don't care if it is in 2 channels count me in! :ugham:

Jesus these 20 hour days are gonna do me in. Goodnight Ralphie 4 ears! :upthumb

Yes, Goodnight sweetest of princes.

I just emailed D~V and am attempting to place Watership Down to my existing order for those 11 upcoming QUADDIES.

20 hour days....been there....done that....NEVER again!

Dutton/Vocalion has been releasing two-fers for years. I think we're extremely fortunate (and also thankful) that they've chosen to keep that philosophy for most of their Multichannel SACDs.

Well said! :upthumb

"There ain't nothin'... stoppin' them now..!!" :wave

oh hang on.. that's not a two fer.. D'OH..!! :yikes ;)

I meant surround multi-chan two-fers, but of course, and not just any old two-fers, as MCA did it as well as others decades ago.

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but Dutton has put up a nice blog about quad on their web site.

This is the thing I mentioned writing in my post about the new D-V releases. Michael Dutton asked me if I'd like to write something that was a brief history of quad along with a primer on SACD - the majority of D-V's customer base at the moment is still just for the CD portion and the idea was to intrigue them about the idea of quad/surround sound and show how easy it is to be SACD-capable if you already have a home cinema system.

Since it's geared toward the newcomer it's probably a lot of info that people here already know, but I hope if you read it, you find it interesting anyway. I really tried hard to hammer home a few points including the fact that quad may have been a commercial failure it's first time round, but it wasn't an artistic one, and that quad mixes are historically significant and of excellent quality which is something I don't think you hear often enough outside of places like QQ.

Hopefully it'll convert a few more people to our cause, at the very least.

http://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/blog/

This is the thing I mentioned writing in my post about the new D-V releases. Michael Dutton asked me if I'd like to write something that was a brief history of quad along with a primer on SACD - the majority of D-V's customer base at the moment is still just for the CD portion and the idea was to intrigue them about the idea of quad/surround sound and show how easy it is to be SACD-capable if you already have a home cinema system.

Since it's geared toward the newcomer it's probably a lot of info that people here already know, but I hope if you read it, you find it interesting anyway. I really tried hard to hammer home a few points including the fact that quad may have been a commercial failure it's first time round, but it wasn't an artistic one, and that quad mixes are historically significant and of excellent quality which is something I don't think you hear often enough outside of places like QQ.

Excellent article, David. You encapsulated the brief history of Quadraphonic recording quite succinctly. One area which you omitted for potential owners of 5.1 systems who might wonder why their center speaker is inactive is that QUAD actually creates a phantom center channel from the left and right front speakers [much like stereo] and that it's sometimes so convincing that owners with a center channel won't realize that it's actually not being utilized.

I think this distinction is vital for potential customers who might otherwise feel cheated by the omission of actual center info.

Otherwise, there are no other areas I can think of that you've overlooked.

And it's wonderful that you're a liaison between QQ and Dutton Vocalion because your input is, I believe, going to make a very positive difference in steering future QUAD release decisions.

MANY thanks.

So great to see more releases from them. Ordered the Godfather, Tower of Power and The Main Ingredient. Hope they sell enough to put out even more.

OK, I gotta come clean. I'm sort of like Snood. I have glazed over with all this talk about Hugo. Honestly, I've never heard of him, so that's mostly why I have just shunned this. I don't understand who he is, nor do I understand if this is all serious. OK, I'm sure it's serious. So he just covers songs from others? And, did this stuff ever get air play?

So, here I am sniffing around.... what is the best way for me in the US to purchase some of this? The Dutton website, or just Amazon? :) Yeah, I did bomb around in this thread, but quite a few posts to sift through. What got my attention? The Fistfull of Dollars stuff....love it.

EDIT - Oops - then there is Floyd Cramer. Same story...never heard of him... :)

OK, I gotta come clean. I'm sort of like Snood. I have glazed over with all this talk about Hugo. Honestly, I've never heard of him, so that's mostly why I have just shunned this. I don't understand who he is, nor do I understand if this is all serious. OK, I'm sure it's serious. So he just covers songs from others? And, did this stuff ever get air play?

So, here I am sniffing around.... what is the best way for me in the US to purchase some of this? The Dutton website, or just Amazon? :) Yeah, I did bomb around in this thread, but quite a few posts to sift through. What got my attention? The Fistfull of Dollars stuff....love it.

EDIT - Oops - then there is Floyd Cramer. Same story...never heard of him... :)

Gene, you can't go wrong with Hugo. I'm sure the Spaghetti Western Trilogy and the Godfather theme on ONE disc will be one of those Oh, wow surround discs.

The best place to purchase them is from the Dutton Vocalion website. Even if you order from AmazonUK, you'll be directed to Dutton Vocalion.

Also the Tower of Power and Main Ingredient discs are also worth investigating.

Prices are supposed to go UP in January so don't hesitate.

Gene, you can't go wrong with Hugo. I'm sure the Spaghetti Western Trilogy and the Godfather theme on ONE disc will be one of those Oh, wow surround discs.

The best place to purchase them is from the Dutton Vocalion website. Even if you order from AmazonUK, you'll be directed to Dutton Vocalion.

Also the Tower of Power and Main Ingredient discs are also worth investigating.

Prices are supposed to go UP in January so don't hesitate.

OK - what about the Perry Como disc? I Like Como...didn't realize this was on here.

OK, I know I've had a lot of coffee - but can anyone tell me how the hell to "join" or setup an account at the Dutton Vocalion site? I click on ACCOUNT (which I don't have one yet) and it tells me I have to LOGIN. So, I click on LOGIN and it tells me to start browsing. :mad:@: No where, that I can find, is there a place for new members to start an account. Been round and round... :confused:

OK, I know I've had a lot of coffee - but can anyone tell me how the hell to "join" or setup an account at the Dutton Vocalion site? I click on ACCOUNT (which I don't have one yet) and it tells me I have to LOGIN. So, I click on LOGIN and it tells me to start browsing. :mad:@: No where, that I can find, is there a place for new members to start an account. Been round and round... :confused:

No idea but.. sing it with me! :p

"Round and a-rouuuuuuund.."

maybe Dutton Vocalion will gift us 'They Only Come Out At Night' in Quad next Christmas.. ;)

That's very fine quad "histrionics", Dave. Great job, lot's of vital detail.(y):sun

(that being said, re : para #1, how could you forget. ? mini skirts ! :yikes)

Back