Dutton Vocalion UK mining the Sony Music quad catalog for Multichannel SACD release!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just came across this tidbit on www.rayconniff.com:

"November 2, 2016: Great news for aficionados of Ray Conniff’s quadraphonic recordings:The British VOCALION label will release Ray Conniff’s albums “Love Will Keep Us Together” and “Laughter in the Rain” on one super audio (SACD) disc. I will reveal the release date as soon as I have it. The catalogue number will be CDLK4602. Most DVD and CD players made by Sony or Pioneer can read SACDs so that four different channels can be reproduced on home cinema systems."

Looks like Vocalion will be coming out with another batch of QUAD SACDs!

Just came across this tidbit on www.rayconniff.com:

"November 2, 2016: Great news for aficionados of Ray Conniff’s quadraphonic recordings:The British VOCALION label will release Ray Conniff’s albums “Love Will Keep Us Together” and “Laughter in the Rain” on one super audio (SACD) disc. I will reveal the release date as soon as I have it. The catalogue number will be CDLK4602. Most DVD and CD players made by Sony or Pioneer can read SACDs so that four different channels can be reproduced on home cinema systems."

Looks like Vocalion will be coming out with another batch of QUAD SACDs!

Its interesting because I noticed back when I was looking for the SQ LPs of all the Ray Conniff Quads that rayconniff.com was one of few fan sites dedicated to an artist that actually mentioned Quad pressings (even if just in passing in a list) and gave the catalogue number info (which was very handy :eek: ) so it's good to see that they are publicising it somewhat, anything that helps get DV more attention of their brilliant endeavour is a good thing, hopefully translating into more sales and more Surround titles from DV for us! :D

super excited about these...!!!! :woopie

I ordered 5 of these this morning, looking forward to them. Of course I think my CD4 copy of "Euphrates" just dipped in value. :howl I have about 40 CD4 lps I'm looking to sell off, Adam, interested in a bulk purchase?

I ordered 5 of these this morning, looking forward to them. Of course I think my CD4 copy of "Euphrates" just dipped in value. :howl I have about 40 CD4 lps I'm looking to sell off, Adam, interested in a bulk purchase?

Excellent! :upthumb Which 5 did you order?

tbh I'd be quite happy for any of the Quad records I've bought to be rendered worthless if they were all reissued on Surround SACD, especially all the Soul/R&B stuff like the Isleys, O'Jays, etc, etc.! :D

Possibly, finances are a bit tight at this time but most of all it'd be the shipping on a bulk buy I'd be dreading as much as anything, its really making purchases from the States pretty much impossible right now but do drop me a PM anytime.

Got the 2 Montenegros, the Main Ingredient and Tower of Power, and the Percy Faith in order to see how hard rockin' they are compared to Ray C.:rolleyes:
Yes, the postage costs would be hefty but they can go by surface vice air mail for much less. I'll send you the inventory when I write it all out and you can takes your picks..... I will be selling off the plantation here next year hopefully with the inevitable downsizing that accompanies marriage numero dos. ;) John

It looks like the first of these discs have come in stock at D-V: Henry Mancini, Danny Davis, and Michel Legrand. I'm sure it won't be much longer now before the remaining 8 or 9 do the same and people start receiving their orders.

In the meantime here are a couple of images pertaining to Hugo Montenegro from Billboard Magazine August 10th, 1974. One is an advertisement for CD-4 and the 'Hugo In Wonder-Land' album, and the other is an excerpt from an article about a quad record producers panel that included Lee Herschberg from WB, Ed Michel from ABC, and Dave Blume from RCA amongst others. I've only excerpted the bit that pertains to Montenegro's 'from the ground up' approach to quad, but the whole thing is worth reading (page 48 here) if you're in to the historical aspects of quad.

montenegro74-1.jpg

montenegro74-2.jpg

NOPE!:(

But knowing you Adam you're already comtemplating the NEXT slew of FUTURE D~V Quads!:banana::banana::banana::banana:

haha.. you know me so well :eek:
..there's a lot of new ones here to plough through.. what is it, like 19 new Quads in one fell swoop courtesy of DV or something along those lines you said on here the other day Ralph? amazing.. :yikes

I notice the following titles have gone from pre-order status to available on the Dutton Vocalion website,
so imagine these will be shipping now;

Danny Davis;Travelin/Caribbean Cruise,
Henry Mancini;Mancini Country/Country Gentleman,
Hugo Montenegro;Hugo In WonderLand/Neil's Diamonds,
Michel Legrand;Twenty Songs,
Percy Faith;Romeo & Juliet/Chinatown,
Ray Conniff;Laughter In The Rain/Love Will Keep Us Together

edit: titular cock up on the Conniff and Percy fronts :eek:

Last edited:
I notice the following titles have gone from pre-order status to available on the Dutton Vocalion website,
so imagine these will be shipping now;

Danny Davis;Travelin/Caribbean Cruise,
Henry Mancini;Mancini Country/Country Gentleman,
Hugo Montenegro;Hugo In WonderLand/Neil's Diamonds,
Michel Legrand;Twenty Songs,
Percy Faith;Romeo & Juliet/Entertainer,
Ray Conniff;Chinatown/Laughter In The Rain

Or they might wait until all of the new SACDs are in before shipping.
Who knows?

Exciting isn't it! :p
I just hope they get them all out in time for Christmas,
so I can play the whole floomin lot over the entire holiday period and say Happy Chrimbo to me.. ha..!! :wave

I also added the OSR of Watership Down (Stereo SACD) to my existing order for the 11 QUAD SACDs and have not received confirmation that they integrated it with my existing order. I'm sure D~V won't disappoint, Adam, and you'll have them in time for the holiest holiday of the year.........

Better bake Santa some extra special sugar cookies with chocolate sprinkles........for this ultra special cornucopia of QUAD SACDs:cool:

Dutton Vocalion Quad Christmas come early :banana:

Hugo Montenegro - Hugo In WonderLand/Neil's Diamonds,
Michel Legrand - Twenty Songs Of The Century,
Percy Faith - Chinatown/Love Theme From Romeo & Juliet,
Ray Conniff - Laughter In The Rain/Love Will Keep Us Together

Dutton Vocalion Quad Christmas come early :banana:

Hugo Montenegro - Hugo In WonderLand/Neil's Diamonds,
Michel Legrand - Twenty Songs Of The Century,
Percy Faith - Chinatown/Love Theme From Romeo & Juliet,
Ray Conniff - Laughter In The Rain/Love Will Keep Us Together

Before anyone potentially gets into a mild lather over their shipment etc and starts hassling the label "hey! where's my stuff!" :D I should just say I'm pretty sure I've received these already since I (uncharacteristically :eek: ) held back and rather than order the entire lot as I originally intended I waited to see which ones were coming up as available now rather than for pre-order and bought those 4 titles from the half dozen available right now outright (the other two showing in stock are the Danny Davis Caribbean Cruise & Mancini Country Gentleman SACDs which I will buy in the next week or two after payday, by which time I'm hoping some more of these DV Quad SACDs will have come into stock so I can get another bundle in one fell swoop, with any luck the Tower Of Power included..!! ;) ) rather than hang around for the whole lot to come into stock which is what I suspect DV may well do with their international shipments rather than send them out piecemeal, as Ralph suggested on here the other day, makes sense.. though impatient me hates to wait, so like Frankie I did it sideways.. I mean "my way" and just went for the ones "out now".

fwiw I received no shipping notification but they must have shipped them out as soon as I paid which was only 2 days ago according to the date stamp on the package.. hugely impressed with DV's setup all round, all 4 SACDs arrived totally unblemished, no cracks, no dints, in no frills but common sense packing, cheap postage too (like £2-something for 4 CDs, if only every seller had such low rates and packaging that ensured the jewel cases arrived intact!) and the little discs themselves are super cute, with nice reproductions of the artwork especially the Hugo M looks good the way they have incorporated the Neil's Diamonds art into the Stevie Wonder Land artwork.. and these discs are cheap but they are a quality product at the same time.. amazing job DV.

Before anyone potentially gets into a mild lather over their shipment etc and starts hassling the label "hey! where's my stuff!" :D I should just say I'm pretty sure I've received these already since I (uncharacteristically :eek: ) held back and rather than order the entire lot as I originally intended I waited to see which ones were coming up as available now rather than for pre-order and bought those 4 titles from the half dozen available right now outright (the other two showing in stock are the Danny Davis Caribbean Cruise & Mancini Country Gentleman SACDs which I will buy in the next week or two after payday, by which time I'm hoping some more of these DV Quad SACDs will have come into stock so I can get another bundle in one fell swoop, with any luck the Tower Of Power included..!! ;) ) rather than hang around for the whole lot to come into stock which is what I suspect DV may well do with their international shipments rather than send them out piecemeal, as Ralph suggested on here the other day, makes sense.. though impatient me hates to wait, so like Frankie I did it sideways.. I mean "my way" and just went for the ones "out now".

fwiw I received no shipping notification but they must have shipped them out as soon as I paid which was only 2 days ago according to the date stamp on the package.. hugely impressed with DV's setup all round, all 4 SACDs arrived totally unblemished, no cracks, no dints, in no frills but common sense packing, cheap postage too (like £2-something for 4 CDs, if only every seller had such low rates and packaging that ensured the jewel cases arrived intact!) and the little discs themselves are super cute, with nice reproductions of the artwork especially the Hugo M looks good the way they have incorporated the Neil's Diamonds art into the Stevie Wonder Land artwork.. and these discs are cheap but they are a quality product at the same time.. amazing job DV.

so.. the important bit.. how do they sound?

well by happy coincidence I'm home all day and just put the Michel Legrand SACD on while pottering about making lunch and blow me down but the Quad mix is SO good I've had to stop buttering me wholemeal sliceeo's and sit down in the 'sweet spot', focus and really listen.

no hype = absolutely incredible surround.. and the sound is lovely too.

I'll start to dig into the others this afternoon but right now the Legrand (which I could never even find the SQ LPs let alone hear in Quad before now!) is real demo worthy stuff and much more aggressive surround mixing than I was expecting.

fab :woopie

Back