DVD-A back-ups

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think my next bit of reserch will be in learning how to hack a Denon DVD-A player.

Hi Jeff & everyone,

Not sure if it was mentioned, but Shrink will only backup the DVD-V layer which restricts you to either DD and/or DTS. Although, I was very surprised when I recently backed up Eric Johnson that the DVD-V layer includes an "Advanced Resolution Stereo" option. Anyhow, you'll never have an issue with Shrink if the DVD-V layer is all you're after.

Some DVD-A titles, such as Steve Stevens, have no protection whatsoever and a complete rip can be done using just ImgBurn. If ImgBurn throws a protection error box at you, then use the Clone mode of Fab to create an ISO + .ini file instead and use the Write Data feature of Fab to rip to blank media. Just remember to select the .ini file as the source, not the ISO. This is especially true when copying titles that are DL in size as it takes care of the layer break.

Then again, there's always ... the hub ;)

Dan

Thanks for the tip Dan. Perhaps in "Clone" mode the .ini file needs to be burned as you recommended in order to get an exact copy of a watermarked disc. So that it might fool players that look for the watermark into thinking it's the original?

I was not having success with all DVD-A discs in copying DD and DTS tracks.

Jeff, all I can suggest is try d/l Decrypter (free) and select in Shrink to immediately burn in Decrypter rather than doing both processes in Shrink. Then again, if you don't want to miss out on the Advanced Resolution sound quality or the extra features that occasionally occur on a DVD-A title and are exempt on the DVD-V layer, then d/l DVDFab (not free) and try the above methods.

Cheers,
Dan

Thanks for the tip Dan. Perhaps in "Clone" mode the .ini file needs to be burned as you recommended in order to get an exact copy of a watermarked disc. So that it might fool players that look for the watermark into thinking it's the original?

Well, seeing how it would be a clone, I think you'll run into that issue no matter what method you try. Of course, if running out of blank media is not a concern, then please try it and report back to us! Even I would like to know!

My next up and coming player will be an OPPO Blu-Ray so I don't expect to ever deal with watermarks personally.

Dan

Well, seeing how it would be a clone, I think you'll run into that issue no matter what method you try. Of course, if running out of blank media is not a concern, then please try it and report back to us! Even I would like to know!

My next up and coming player will be an OPPO Blu-Ray so I don't expect to ever deal with watermarks personally.

Dan

Ok, I copied "Machine Head" using the .ini file instead of the .Iso - which I believe is the way to go regardless - but got the same results as last night, The Denon gives us a "Copyright Block" message after playing a few seconds of the first song, but the Pioneer play the disc just fine. So an Oppo player is the way to go.

I'm not out to deter anyone from buying an OPPO, but if your model of Pioneer plays without fail, why switch?

Too bad Denon can't publicly release a firmware update for this specific problem :D

Any chance the DVD-V layer of your Machine Head copy plays OK too?

Dan

I'm not out to deter anyone from buying an OPPO, but if your model of Pioneer plays without fail, why switch?

Too bad Denon can't publicly release a firmware update for this specific problem :D

Any chance the DVD-V layer of your Machine Head copy plays OK too?

Dan

I've had copied discs that would not play on the Pioneer. But that could have been because they were not copied properly to begin with. Also, the Pioneer uses RCA for multi-channel - which is perfectly fine since it's going through a Sansui QRX-6500. The Oppo plays pure DSD on SACD discs through HDMI I've heard. Just not on my Yamaha RX-V663! So I've read...

Yes, the DVD-V layer works fine on non-DVD-A players. Have not checked to see if I could play just the DVD-V layer on the Denon. It would be preferable to have an exact copy and change the player's settings than lose the H-Rez tracks. If not, I would recommend making 2 copies, one an Exact DVD-A and the other with just DVD-V. Although I dislike the idea of DVD-V only - except if that's your only option.

True enough. I consider copying only the DVD-V layer as a sampler, if you will, for those who don't own the disc, but may want to. Honestly, I don't know what purpose there is in preserving the DVD-V layer, but I suppose if you're planning to do away with the originals (I'm considering this right now actually) and don't want to be forever without the music, then attempting to capture the entire disc is preferred, especially if it's a hard to find title.

Dan

I've had copied discs that would not play on the Pioneer. But that could have been because they were not copied properly to begin with. Also, the Pioneer uses RCA for multi-channel - which is perfectly fine since it's going through a Sansui QRX-6500. The Oppo plays pure DSD on SACD discs through HDMI I've heard. Just not on my Yamaha RX-V663! So I've read...
I use my Yamaha RX-V663 with a pionner dv-610.
The dv-610 sends DSD thru Hdmi to the AVR with no problem. Strange thing is I have to switch the TV on (which is connected to my avr).
If TV is off, DSD is decoded by the pio then sent thru Hdmi as PCM.
Maybe that can help ?

I use my Yamaha RX-V663 with a pionner dv-610.
The dv-610 sends DSD thru Hdmi to the AVR with no problem. Strange thing is I have to switch the TV on (which is connected to my avr).
If TV is off, DSD is decoded by the pio then sent thru Hdmi as PCM.
Maybe that can help ?

Yes, Thanks! I've read that the Yamaha RX-V663 would not do pure DSD over HDMI. Right now I'm using a Denon DVD-756 with the RCA outputs, so I've never done the pure DSD thing, but plan to do so with an Oppo this Christmas.

Back