• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

HiRez Poll Dylan, Bob - SLOW TRAIN COMING [SACD]

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

Rate the SACD of Bob Dylan - SLOW TRAIN COMING

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2: Forget it, Get the CD

• 1: Waste of plastic

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Since 2002/2003
Please post your comments, thoughts and observations.......(y) (n)

Last edited by a moderator:

winopener

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Excellent surround mix, and a good performance (Mark Knopfler giutar is always amazing). Not a must-have but definitively a disc worth checking for the casual listener too.

daved64

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
If it was any warmer sounding, I could turn my furnace off! Lovely sound, and great mix. Preachy at times, but hey, that was what he was into. 9

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Very warm, pleasing sound for one of Bobby's better '70s albums. Much thought was put into the mix, and it shows throughout! Vivid, immediate, intimate...what more could one ask for? A '9' here....

ED:)

fredblue

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
the sound on this is so lovely and smooth and rich and analogue-sounding! just a beautifully produced album for me. the mix is a bit kooky but so is the material and the artist (at around this time in particular!).. with all that said and as the best of the Dylan M/C SACD's in my collection, I'll give it an "8".

Quad Linda

Staff member
8. I'm a Dylan completist. I HATED Saved, the album that followed this. I loved Shot of Love, the last of his "Jesus period" albums. Perhaps Shot is his most underrated album. OK, back to this one. The fidelity was very nice on the 2ch LP back in the day. Perhaps it sounded better back then 'cause I got a promo when I worked for CBS. The eye was always watching!! The surround mix is nice, some of the material is a bit thin (hence the 8), but what shines truly does. When You Gonna Wake Up and Gotta Serve Somebody are great tracks. Knopfler is an added bonus. If you like Dylan at all, you NEED the SACD box.

You can call me Linda, or you can call me Lin, you can call me Betty, or you can call me yin...or, Betty when you call me, you can call me Al. (Oh, wait, that's some other guy.)

fredblue

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
8. I'm a Dylan completist. I HATED Saved, the album that followed this. I loved Shot of Love, the last of his "Jesus period" albums. Perhaps Shot is his most underrated album. OK, back to this one. The fidelity was very nice on the 2ch LP back in the day. Perhaps it sounded better back then 'cause I got a promo when I worked for CBS. The eye was always watching!! The surround mix is nice, some of the material is a bit thin (hence the 8), but what shines truly does. When You Gonna Wake Up and Gotta Serve Somebody are great tracks. Knopfler is an added bonus. If you like Dylan at all, you NEED the SACD box.

You can call me Linda, or you can call me Lin, you can call me Betty, or you can call me yin...or, Betty when you call me, you can call me Al. (Oh, wait, that's some other guy.)
You can call me Al..! Although my name is Adam.. so you can call me Ad..!

sadly the upcoming 25th Anniversary of Graceland, even the bells and whistles (and everything but scarf, marbles and the kitchen sink!) £100 boxset, which has not one but TWO dvds (!) still doesn't even have an advanced res stereo of the album, let alone a 5.1 remix.

just another "missed opportunity"... :(

Quad Linda

Staff member
You ain't wrong!

You can call me Al..! Although my name is Adam.. so you can call me Ad..!

sadly the upcoming 25th Anniversary of Graceland, even the bells and whistles (and everything but scarf, marbles and the kitchen sink!) £100 boxset, which has not one but TWO dvds (!) still doesn't even have an advanced res stereo of the album, let alone a 5.1 remix.

just another "missed opportunity"... :(

Quad Linda

Staff member

fredblue

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Yes, but if a 5.1 mix were included in the box, there would be that many fewer copies that Columbia (or whoever Paul leases his stuff to in the future) will be able to sell later on when they decide to market it in surround. Cha-ching-cha-ching!!! Even digital cash registers are very musical.
very sad but very true.. Universal are probably eyeing up a deal for 5 years time with PS right now, preparing a new 5.1 mix for the Graceland 30th anniversary edition.. and will end up canning it all. :(

fredblue

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Listening to this again, I think I was a bit mean giving this an "8". It deserves a "9" for the sonics and mix.

Gorgeous stuff and easily the best multi-channel SACD of Bob Dylan of those I've heard so far.

Still wish Sony had stuck the quad of Desire on the SACD but I can't dock this disc for that stupid decision! :D

keenly

Banned
The clarity on this album is amazing. Fantastic recording.

marpow

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
I voted 7. This SACD 5.1 music is a ten. I have heard people complain of Dylan and his new Christian beliefs (Born Again) but I find this disc superb in song writing and music. Highly enjoyable.
The 7 vote is more for the weak surround, which is more 4.1 than 5.1, the center channel is barely audible, in fact turning the center off is not a problem.
The rears are weak, not discrete at all, lets call it ambient surround. I don't own a stereo version of this release and would be interested to have one as it may be possible the stereo would be better than the surround?