ELP Emerson Lake & Palmer Cataloge in 5.1 Surround

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
(though be warned the XTC crowd here have a bit of a glass jaw so go easy on them. ;)

Yes, all 5.1 of 'em... wallpaper-gjaw-8002.jpg :smokin

Cripes!! My first post on the site and the QQ alumni have all chipped in!! Apologies to all who followed after my second post to 'T4' - so, thanks. :)
I think that I had better take things a bit more seriously in the future! (or not....ha ha!) But, being technically devoid, it'll still be opinion/observation/point and counterpoint or, to put it another way, 'Elephant Talk'!
Nonetheless, let's clear up the 'Oscar Wilde' thing - very close, but think 'Dorian Gray'. The painting in the loft has me seated in a luxury armchair smiling as the 'Rogers LS3As' belt out a 5.1 version of 'The Inner Mounting Flame'. Go figure!!!
Right then, that little fantasy over, back on subject.
Got myself in a cleft stick here as I have just lent the 5.1 disc of BSS to a very close relative (who is also a long standing member the QQ forum) as he did what everyone else seems to have done and cancelled his order for the 3-disc version - and too damned right given the mess of the release data.
But, until I get it back, I can report that the first listening at the other household did not go down well. Those initial thoughts? - along the lines of ''like listening to the album through a tin can attached to a piece of string''. And that particular gentleman has a far superior set up to that installed here at Chez Battlefield. (If he wishes to chip in here - or at any other time - that will be his decision.)
So, in response to Mr DM jnr, I will not 'dodge' the KE9 3rd matter and would be more than happy to provide a critique based on my own findings (cloth ears notwithstanding). Just don't hold your breath in the interim whilst I get the disc back!
Despite that, I reiterate that I do find the current 5.1 version very interesting and with a lot going for it. I am still of the opinion that cognizance should be made to the fact that we have an alternative version for reference. The only comparison I can think of is the re-make of a well loved 'old' movie and it being completely 'mullered' by the writer/director. (For those not from the GB shoreline - mullered' means 'trashed' (or any other expletive that one feels appropriate!)
Having said all that rubbish, there is no doubt in my mind that the release issues have been done 'back to front' and that 'Trilogy' should have ben the next in line. I still remember buying my copy of the vinyl disc on its release at the HMV store in Oxford Street, London. I am that old!...and so are my ears.
For further posts from me - watch this space - or, if you prefer, that one over there which, I have to admit, does have a better view!

I would agree that Trilogy should have been next, seems like it was going to be for a time. Then somebody at the label (doubt it was the band) sat bolt upright and insisted that BSS be moved up and expanded out to include the box set. Fine, but then they screwed up the standard release and here we are. My box was delivered today and it's beautiful on the outside. Trilogy should be free of controversy although any number of posts would indicate otherwise. This chapter is nearing its end, I've moved on to daydreaming about Pictures At An Exhibition and the better live material and hoping we see something special done with it.

From QQ deep space

I would agree that Trilogy should have been next, seems like it was going to be for a time. Then somebody at the label (doubt it was the band) sat bolt upright and insisted that BSS be moved up and expanded out to include the box set. Fine, but then they screwed up the standard release and here we are. My box was delivered today and it's beautiful on the outside. Trilogy should be free of controversy although any number of posts would indicate otherwise. This chapter is nearing its end, I've moved on to daydreaming about Pictures At An Exhibition and the better live material and hoping we see something special done with it. From QQ deep space

I hope that "Trilogy" will be released later this year, but something tells me we'll probably have to wait until early next year for it.
I have every bit of faith that Jakko has done the mixing justice cause after all if it weren't for the bass guitar mess in the 5.1 mix on Karn Evil 9 3rd Impression, his remixes would be near perfect!
So I'm much more optimistic about his remixes than I am of Sony's release of them...

I would agree that Trilogy should have been next, seems like it was going to be for a time. Then somebody at the label (doubt it was the band) sat bolt upright and insisted that BSS be moved up and expanded out to include the box set. Fine, but then they screwed up the standard release and here we are. My box was delivered today and it's beautiful on the outside. Trilogy should be free of controversy although any number of posts would indicate otherwise. This chapter is nearing its end, I've moved on to daydreaming about Pictures At An Exhibition and the better live material and hoping we see something special done with it.

From QQ deep space

I still believe that BSS was moved up because of its 40th anniversary but that in typical ELP fashion it got screwed up and delayed past its intended release timeframe. I'm still hoping for Trilogy in the autumn, and that the lessons from this BSS fiasco have been learned and they'll go back to a 2cd+DVD-A (5.1) format and I really do think they will.

I'd love to see the live stuff too, and that little tease from the liner notes in BSS about the quad live KE9 tapes...mouth waters....get 'em out there for us...sheesh, we've bought these albums so many times and you've found something that's hard to come by? Seems like a no-brainer to me, but then even a no-brainer is too much to expect from some of these people.

Despite that, I reiterate that I do find the current 5.1 version very interesting and with a lot going for it. I am still of the opinion that cognizance should be made to the fact that we have an alternative version for reference. The only comparison I can think of is the re-make of a well loved 'old' movie and it being completely 'mullered' by the writer/director. (For those not from the GB shoreline - mullered' means 'trashed' (or any other expletive that one feels appropriate!)
Having said all that rubbish, there is no doubt in my mind that the release issues have been done 'back to front' and that 'Trilogy' should have ben the next in line. I still remember buying my copy of the vinyl disc on its release at the HMV store in Oxford Street, London. I am that old!...and so are my ears.

I agree, as I have the 'old' 5.1 mix and only bought the new as it was going to be different, and it does have some good points, but its 're-visited' so I see why many don't like it. But the 1st ELP album, and especially 'Trilogy' are the ones for me. I still have the cassette of Trilogy I bought in 1972!

Well, I put in an order with amazon.com for the 3 disk set. It still says the 3rd disk is 5.1, so it should be interesting and at $16.65 it is cheap enough, combined with Quadrophenia BD-A comes to just over $35 the magic price on that site.

Just received the 3 disc Razor & Tie. Considering that I already have the previous DVD-A I am very happy with this release and the new stereo mix.

Oh, so it's stereo too. I will have to reconsider my order.

update: Cancelled

Last edited:
Just finished my first run through the DVD-A 5.1 from the deluxe set. I really enjoyed it. The enhanced bass in 3rd Impression is noticeable, but seems an artistic choice that works fine for me. For me the problem here is not the mix bit rather the fact that you have to purchase the deluxe box to get it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Just finished my first run through the DVD-A 5.1 from the deluxe set. I really enjoyed it. The enhanced bass in 3rd Impression is noticeable, but seems an artistic choice that works fine for me. For me the problem here is not the mix bit rather the fact that you have to purchase the deluxe box to get it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Not sure if (deliberately?) leaving out elements of the music that were audible in the original mix can be classified as an artistic choice. Remixing in my opinion is different from reassembling a recording. I think mixing out (or drowning out, which to me is equally debatable) things like tubular bells (Jerusalem) or tympanies (Karn Evil 9 3d Impression) are questionable reassembling decisions. I take more offense in that than the oft mentioned added gain to bass guitars in the mix.
I know, it is one man's opinion. Each to their own I suppose. There will always be opinions and that is a good thing. After all, opinions are like noses: everybody has got one. Well, except Michael Jackson... :phones

Back