Elton John in Atmos

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tiny Dancer has a (love it) guitar in the left surround on Apple Music I don’t recall hearing there on the Madman SACD. This is going to be so much fun comparing songs!:D
Actually, I just listened to my SACD. The guitar on the SACD is mix fully in the left surround, and sounds very natural. In contrast, the guitar on the ATMOS mix is in the same place, but it’s kind of smeared and doesn’t sound as natural?

my Elton John surround SACDs have been at the top of my favorites, the sound quality and mixes outstanding. I’m really excited to see this coming out in ATMOS and on Apple Music.

I shouldn’t have done it, but I just compared the SACD and Apple Music ATMOS versions of Tiny Dancer.

is it me, or does the sound quality on SACD really sound better than the streaming ATMOS?

The SACD just sounds smoother, meatier. The vocals on the Apple version sound a touch shrill, slightly too much top end. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not cancelling my subscription, but am I hearing a Qualitative difference between the media?
Sorry to be a posting maniac, but the ATMOS mixes are REALLY good! overall loving this

Well, at least it sounds like the original master tapes for Elton John are intact. We never did get the second batch of EJ SACDs that were mixed and ready to go in the 2000s. Supposedly, the second batch of SACDs even had artist approval, as someone reported here awhile back.

I would totally buy EJ Blu-ray titles in Atmos, and hopefully they would include the mixes we didn’t get that were intended for SACD. The Elton John SACDs are excellent surround demo quality. Highly recommend.

So, how does the Atmos mixes sound like.

Re-reading everything it sounds like it will be available in Atmos starting March 25 on Apple Music but alas on Tidal likely in Sony 360 format only which is useless.

Actually, I just listened to my SACD. The guitar on the SACD is mix fully in the left surround, and sounds very natural. In contrast, the guitar on the ATMOS mix is in the same place, but it’s kind of smeared and doesn’t sound as natural?
Apparently I recalled wrong, hadn’t played the SACD in a while which does indeed have the guitar in the left surround. I’d rate the SACD as the best version of the two, but it’s close. If I didn’t have the SACD I’d be quite happy with the Atmos version from Apple.

Ah, now this would be a very successful release in high resolution Atmos on Blu-ray. Think we'll ever see it, or will it forever only dwell in the luminiferous ether?

Maybe we should all email Paul at SDE and suggest that it be the next title in the SDE Blu-ray series.....

Re-reading everything it sounds like it will be available in Atmos starting March 25 on Apple Music but alas on Tidal likely in Sony 360 format only which is useless.
I read the email differently. It specifically said the album is in Dolby Atmos. I just think it then referred to each streaming outlet’s naming convention (spatial audio, HD, and 360).

Tidal version is here. As of this moment, It's not listed as a release on any of the Apple Music or Tidal Atmos pages. Weird. The only tip that it exists is a couple of the songs from the album are in the "Top Songs" category in the Atmos section of Apple Music.

https://listen.tidal.com/album/222144897
thanks for the link! Looking forward to hearing this.
On Tidal it is now listed under Elton John > Compilations > Album ID https://tidal.com/browse/album/222144897

I read the email differently. It specifically said the album is in Dolby Atmos. I just think it then referred to each streaming outlet’s naming convention (spatial audio, HD, and 360).

Thankfully the press-speak reference to Tidal and 360 was false in this case. Hallelujah!

A lot of the surround mixes on the Sony label available in Atmos on Apple Music are only available on Tidal encoded in Sony's useless 360 format which sucks.

The spatial audio and HD references are essentially meaningless or non-specific at best. Neither are an actual surround format.

Back