Elton John in Atmos

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually, I just listened to my SACD. The guitar on the SACD is mix fully in the left surround, and sounds very natural. In contrast, the guitar on the ATMOS mix is in the same place, but it’s kind of smeared and doesn’t sound as natural?
I definitely need to give these more listening, but in all honesty my first impression on quickly listening to some of them is I'm a bit underwhelmed. It almost felt like some were McMixes. I've haven't done any A-B comparisons, but I didn't get the same "wow" I get with the 5.1 mixes.

Maybe we should all email Paul at SDE and suggest that it be the next title in the SDE Blu-ray series.....
No offense, but after all of the "no good deed goes unpunished" here and elsewhere with the Tears For Fears release, I'd tell people to find somebody else to skewer.

Regardless, I'd give it about 0.01% chance of happening.

I definitely need to give these more listening, but in all honesty my first impression on quickly listening to some of them is I'm a bit underwhelmed. It almost felt like some were McMixes. I've haven't done any A-B comparisons, but I didn't get the same "wow" I get with the 5.1 mixes.
To me the best mixes of these songs are those who haven't been released in 5.1 before. Those older 5.1 mixes in this compilation are a little underwhelmed with often just ambience in the heights, maybe up mixes from the 5.1? Some of the new mixes are fantastic thou. Sad Songs(say So Much) is a good example.:cool:

The SACD's are superior overall, sonics, musicality, and I feel like the Atmos mixes are a little bereft of bass.

And most important and I'm disappointed that Funeral For A Friend/Love Lies Bleeding didn't make the cut for this compilation. Back to the SACD for that one.

The SACD's are superior overall, sonics, musicality, and I feel like the Atmos mixes are a little bereft of bass.

And most important and I'm disappointed that Funeral For A Friend/Love Lies Bleeding didn't make the cut for this compilation. Back to the SACD for that one.
Lots of omissions on the compilation. Two tracks that immediately come to mind are Grey Seal and All The Girls Love Alice.

I'm with you on Funeral, would be great in Atmos. Here it's tons of bass on these mixes, love it. :cool:

I’m starting to think that I have to upgrade my ATMOS speakers to make a fair comparison between a very high quality 5.1 mix to an ATMOS mix of the same material. Penny is too good at what he does for the ATMOS to be meh……. I currently have 2x PSB speaker top Dolby speakers. I think I’ve got to bite the bullet and install 4 x B&W ceiling speakers to match what I have for 5.1.

Just got time to listen to the Apple Elton Atmos stream.
I don't do a lot of digging to compare mix A with B and just try and take each album as it is.
I've got most of Eltons multich SACD too, but we got to live with this release now.
All in All, I'm loving it.

For those of us who prefer "early Elton" to late- and mid-period Elton, Diamonds leaves out a lot. But it'll do for now, and I'm with @fredblue (and others) in hoping that this is just a teaser for more to come.
Hopefully all of his albums will be Atmos, I believe Greg Penny has mixed all of them...perhaps Elton will be the featured artist soon...

I'm going to be honest: before we get Atmos I kinda want those unreleased Elton John SACDs.

In hindsight, I wish Dutton Vocalion had taken up Universal Music on their offer to release the unreleased Elton John 5.1 remixes .... provided they also repressed the already extant John Multi~CH SACDs which BTW, are still in print [at least EJ's eponymous album, Tumbleweed and Madman].

I wonder, BTW, who is responsible for repressing those titles since I just purchased back~ups of those three aforementioned Multi~CH SACDs from Deep Discount for $8 each [minus 10%] and they still come in Super Audio cases but no indication that they're pressed either in the EU or Austria since the initial batch in the early 00's were definitely pressed in Sony's Terre Haute Indiana pressing plant. Hmmm!

Would also LOVE to see EJ's magnificent 17~11~70 Concert remixed into 5.1/ATMOS if the original multi tracks still exist!
11-17-70 (remastered)

In hindsight, I wish Dutton Vocalion had taken up Universal Music on their offer to release the unreleased Elton John 5.1 remixes .... provided they also repressed the already extant John Multi~CH SACDs which BTW, are still in print [at least EJ's eponymous album, Tumbleweed and Madman].

I wonder, BTW, who is responsible for repressing those titles since I just purchased back~ups of those three aforementioned Multi~CH SACDs from Deep Discount for $8 each [minus 10%] and they still come in Super Audio cases but no indication that they're pressed either in the EU or Austria since the initial batch in the early 00's were definitely pressed in Sony's Terre Haute Indiana pressing plant. Hmmm!

its all by the by now Ralph but fwiw that wasn't DV that had the 5.1 opportunity and turned it down, it was AF.

Back