Elton John in Atmos

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i heard some swirly/swimmy/swooshy type artefacts but many were only at their most noticeable when i was going right up to the speakers to see exactly what was coming out of them, especially the Height channels to see if/how GP had used them and if these were indeed new Atmos mixes or rehashes of the old 5.1's and then boom(!) i'd get my comeuppance when there'd be some layer of backing vocals pop up in a Height speaker that was never even in the mix at all in the original and i'd stop fretting about the swooshing and just get absorbed in the mix as a whole again! 😅😆💝
Agreed! I could get absorbed in this stuff all day long :)

i was flicking back and forth on this one and the Atmos has it squarely in the Rear Left on my setup just like the SACD but there seems to be more reverb on the lead vocals and those reverbed vocals feel more prominent in the Rears than on the SACD somehow
Do you have 4 height speakers? Ceiling mounted?

despite the blurb in the booklets about using the original mixes (etc) when Gus revisited 17-11-70 in the 90's for The Classic Years series there was some weirdness going on that felt to me like remixing (and not necessarily all beneficial.. hmm 🤔) so maybe that's a sign multi's are/were in existence idk?

tbh i find it such a visceral experience its one i'm quite happy to lap up in (shock horror!) Stereo and the RSD 2LP issue that has all the tracks (though not in the right order!) wasn't bad-sounding at all i thought 😋
Wasn’t that RSD 17-11-70 supposed to come out as a general release by now, Adam?

I got into Diamonds yesterday. I played the whole thing, but only listened critically to a dozen or so. What I heard was pretty impressive. I didn't have time to compare tracks to the 5.1 SACDs so I cant vouch that they are on par fidelity wise, but the mixes themselves are quite good. It was great to finally hear some of that unreleased stuff. I do wish there were more classic tracks from the unreleased SACDs.

I do have a question regarding these Streaming Atmos mixes. Who is doing the mixing, and are they getting the blessing from the artist, or is this just an effect that is added to an already existing 5.1 or quad mix, like playing a CD in Dolby Pro-Logic IIx faux surround?

I do have a question regarding these Streaming Atmos mixes. Who is doing the mixing, and are they getting the blessing from the artist, or is this just an effect that is added to an already existing 5.1 or quad mix, like playing a CD in Dolby Pro-Logic IIx faux surround?

mixed by Greg Penny, who mixed all the Elton 5.1 SACDs, with Elton's blessing

Now that I'm giving things a better listen/chance...I'm getting what's going on with the elton stuff (probably others). The audio coming from heights behaves, at times, differently than when I listen to Atmos from a disc. But, that's OK. What I'm hearing in Apple is some reverb, at times (faint) then all of a sudden a blast of a sound, or a vocal or an insturment. I get it, it's just different than I'm used to. Now that I got that out of the way, these tracks do sound very nice.

Back