Embarking on the Quadraphonic Adventure: Seeking Recommendations and Insights from the Experts!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Matthew

Hello Quadraphonic Quad community! I'm new to the world of quadraphonic sound, and I'm eager to dive in. Can you share your favorite quadraphonic music albums or recommend any must-have quadraphonic setups? I'd love to hear about your experiences and get some guidance as I embark on this exciting journey into immersive audio. Thanks in advance for your insights!

Welcome! Man, are you in for a treat! If you are specifically looking for LPs, i suggest you head to the "Surround Polls" link on the top bar. Once there, click on the "Quad LPs & Tapes" tab. The entries should be sorted by highest scores. You can then check out the individually linked poll threads and read what members have said about the releases. Happy hunting! Stay Surrounded, Comrade!
Screenshot 2023-12-30 at 10.42.21 AM.png

Last edited:
Welcome! Man, are you in for a treat! If you are specifically looking for LPs, i suggest you head to the "Surround Polls" link on the top bar. Once there, click on the "Quad LPs & Tapes" tab. The entries should be sorted by highest scores. You can then check out the individually linked poll threads and read what members have said about the releases. Happy hunting! Stay Surrounded, Comrade!
View attachment 99797
Thanks for the recommendation! Excited to dive into the Surround Polls for Quad LPs & Tapes, looking forward to discovering some gems. Stay Surrounded!

Hello Quadraphonic Quad community! I'm new to the world of quadraphonic sound, and I'm eager to dive in. Can you share your favorite quadraphonic music albums or recommend any must-have quadraphonic setups? I'd love to hear about your experiences and get some guidance as I embark on this exciting journey into immersive audio. Thanks in advance for your insights!
Right now, an Involve Audio Surround Master is probably the best available matrix decoder. The lads down under have made a remarkable SQ/QS box that is readily available and reasonably priced. Sorry, but there’s no similar item for CD-4 that I know of.

My personal favorites for quad listening are Rick Derringer’s “All American Boy” and Bernstein conducting Holst’s “The Planets.” I’m sure musical preferences and tastes have a lot to do with that, so it’s subjective as all get-out.

And a hearty welcome to the QQ boards. Please post early and post often to share your journey into a truly joyous experience.

Last edited:
must-have quadraphonic setups
Welcome to the QQ and to quad / multichannel listening!

If I was literally starting from scratch, I'd start with an Anthem pre/pro from the used market place, and I'd use the Involve Audio amp and their Surround Master. Then I'd subscribe to Apple Music and get the Apple TV.

Get 4 matching speakers to start. You can always add more, but I think it would be fun to get a quad set up working as intended (which could take considerable effort and research, and cost!), then build from there to hear how additional speakers and theoretical immersive levels make a difference.

By just starting out, you have the awesome advantage of about 70 years of multichannel evolution to understand and implement as you see fit!

Can you share your favorite quadraphonic music albums
I have to suggest, hopefully without disrespecting any quadie purists, that you have a perspective of multichannel music, not in terms of vintage quad, 5.1 or Atmos for example. It all is multichannel, but different in its content delivery and technology. However, there are some of us here who maintain a 4.0 system by choice, and all the above (quad, 5.1, Atmos) sounds tremendous. Others have full blown Atmos+ systems and those sound tremendous.

I look forward to venturing into 6.1 and Atmos someday, but enjoy all multichannel (MC) on my 4.1 system.

I say this so as not to limit yourself to trying "quad" per se. There is so much content out there, there's no reason to think in terms of any single delivery technology or system. At least thats my opinion. There are some QQ / MC enthusiasts that will absolutely not listen to any streaming content and others who will absolutely not utilize Stereo 2 Surround technology (i.e. generating multiple channel music from stereo via algorithms & circuitry / programming rather than a human mixing engineer). Each finds pleasure in any of the myriad of aspects of the hobby!

Anywho...just my thoughts as you start to develop your own definition of how or why you enjoy the wonders of immersive music.

Right now, an Involve Audio Surround Master is probably the best available matrix decoder. The lads down under have made a remarkable SQ/QS box that is readily available and reasonably priced. Sorry, but there’s no similar item for CD-4 that I know of.

My personal favorites for quad listening are Rick Derringer’s “All American Boy” and Bernstein conducting Holst’s “The Planets.” I’m sure musical preferences and tastes have a lot to do with that, so it’s subjective as all get-out.

And a hearty welcome to the QQ boards. Please post early and post often to share your journey into a truly joyous experience.
Hey there! Thanks for the heads-up on the Involve Audio Surround Master. Always on the lookout for great quad listening gear. Totally agree, musical preferences play a big role. Derringer's "All American Boy" is a gem, and Bernstein's take on Holst's "The Planets" is sublime. Excited to share more on the QQ boards. Cheers!

Welcome to the QQ and to quad / multichannel listening!

If I was literally starting from scratch, I'd start with an Anthem pre/pro from the used market place, and I'd use the Involve Audio amp and their Surround Master. Then I'd subscribe to Apple Music and get the Apple TV.

Get 4 matching speakers to start. You can always add more, but I think it would be fun to get a quad set up working as intended (which could take considerable effort and research, and cost!), then build from there to hear how additional speakers and theoretical immersive levels make a difference.

By just starting out, you have the awesome advantage of about 70 years of multichannel evolution to understand and implement as you see fit!
Hey, thanks for the warm welcome and solid advice! Starting with Anthem pre/pro and Involve Audio setup sounds like a smart move. Excited to dive into the quad experience. And totally agree, the evolution of multichannel over the years is fascinating! Cheers to the journey ahead!

I have to suggest, hopefully without disrespecting any quadie purists, that you have a perspective of multichannel music, not in terms of vintage quad, 5.1 or Atmos for example. It all is multichannel, but different in its content delivery and technology. However, there are some of us here who maintain a 4.0 system by choice, and all the above (quad, 5.1, Atmos) sounds tremendous. Others have full blown Atmos+ systems and those sound tremendous.

I look forward to venturing into 6.1 and Atmos someday, but enjoy all multichannel (MC) on my 4.1 system.

I say this so as not to limit yourself to trying "quad" per se. There is so much content out there, there's no reason to think in terms of any single delivery technology or system. At least thats my opinion. There are some QQ / MC enthusiasts that will absolutely not listen to any streaming content and others who will absolutely not utilize Stereo 2 Surround technology (i.e. generating multiple channel music from stereo via algorithms & circuitry / programming rather than a human mixing engineer). Each finds pleasure in any of the myriad of aspects of the hobby!

Anywho...just my thoughts as you start to develop your own definition of how or why you enjoy the wonders of immersive music.
Thanks for the insights! It's true, the world of multichannel music is diverse, and there's beauty in exploring various technologies. Excited to embrace the different facets of immersive sound, be it classic quad or the latest Atmos experiences. Looking forward to the journey and finding what resonates best!

Latest posts

Back