Emerson Lake & Palmer... warble question...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Romano

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Did every copy of Welcome Back have that warble during Still You Turn Me on and Take A Pebble? Or were there copies that actually played fine?

I have 4 copies of Part2, which is the only problematic tape of the set, and all four have some flutter - but different: one is really unlistenable unless you want to be stoned and have no acid whatsoever, two have a serious flutter but it's still possible to stand them, one is decent, with a minor flutter. So, a copy that plays really ok may be somewhere, but who knows where...

I would think that the warble in these cartridges is caused by wear of the idler wheel. You might want to replace these idler wheels and see if that cures the warble.

MTGC (Michael)

Being the consistency of it, I don't think that's the case, I think it exists on the tapes themselves. I do recall having Tab's conversion of this a while back, and I seem to recall the warble being on one of the programs, and not the other.

It's not an impressive quad mix, but I would like to see a definitive dvd-a made of this, which would mean tracking down the best possible tape 2. Bob, do you have something in the works on this? I was eyeing up the ebay auction, but that quickly went out of my price range.

Idler wheel: no, tested the 4 tapes on a open reel machine. Kinda depressing...
The warble is on both program, but it is progressive, so it starts low then becomes more prominent; the fact that you hear it a lot more on the prgram 1 is that 1 is several minutes longer than 2.

What I am referring to is the speed change within the "Take A Pebble" and even into the Piano solo. It almost sounds like a tape stretch.

Being the consistency of it, I don't think that's the case, I think it exists on the tapes themselves. I do recall having Tab's conversion of this a while back, and I seem to recall the warble being on one of the programs, and not the other.

It's not an impressive quad mix, but I would like to see a definitive dvd-a made of this, which would mean tracking down the best possible tape 2. Bob, do you have something in the works on this? I was eyeing up the ebay auction, but that quickly went out of my price range.
It's out of range for me as well... I would be dead if my wife found out I spent that kind of cash on tapes:yikes

Yeah, it sounds like a record way off center.

Perhaps we should put the word out and look for some loaners, and try and borrow multiple copies to find the best sounding source, if possible... I've got more then enough on my to do list as always, so if you want to take it on I won't get in the way. But am also willing to do it if anyone has the source to lend out, and no one else wants to take it on.

Or, if it's possible we'll see this as a future audiospectrum release, we can just wait on that.

It's not the best of surround mixes, but I would like to have a definitive conversion of it, and have always hoped that a flutter free tape is out there. I've not heard anything that suggests a flutter free tape exists, but I've heard things that imply some are better then others.

Unfortunately, I got too late to this discussion. I've heard a Quad of WBMF that had on cartridge 2 a progressive speed increase. So on "Piano Improvisations" Keith was already playing faaast, but on The Sheriff he seemed possessed and Lake vocals on that last track (of the cartridge) seemed as if somehow he returned to his child voice before puberty!

Could very well be the master, like on DSOTM at the end of "the gig in the sky" it does the same thing, you can hear the difference in speed, any copy made

It's hard to see nowadays softwares you would only believe they exist by seeing them in action. Capstan is that case! Really really impressive!

Found a version of this to try out, and will pull out the old DTS conversion to see what can be done. If the results sound good, then I'll have to work on tracking down a Q8 set.

Back