Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paramount Pictures has hit it out of the ball park with this spectacular BD~V remaster of Mouse Hunt. Great cameo by Christopher Walken and a refreshing escape from the Marvel and DC Universe. THE MOUSE IS AMAZING!🐀

See the source image

Last edited:
It looks too classy & high brow for me...

If you haven't seen it, do so. It's an astounding film on many different levels and all the performances and Ken Russell's direction are LUMINOUS! Not to mention Criterion has lavished WOMEN IN LOVE with an exceptional transfer!

Glenda Jackson won a well deserved Academy Award for Best Actress in a Drama and to this day, at age 84, still practices her profession and was recently seen on the Great White Way starring in a 2019 production of Shakespeare's King Lear.

See the source image

Only the brows are high, SW!

See the source image

ALAN BATES and OLIVER REED [Women in Love]

Last edited:
Ingmar Bergman's sometimes whimsically magical and somewhat disturbing tale of a brother and sister growing up in the early 1900's in Sweden who suddenly lose their beloved father only to be subjected to the cruel intervention of their widowed mother's sudden betrothal to a wicked local cleric. Originally made for Swedish Television but released in a wonderful edited [theatrical] version by Criterion. Original Swedish TV show also included in its entirety.

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Fanny-and-Alexander-Blu-ray/15930/#Review

See the source image

See the source image

Last edited:
BANG THE DRUMS LOUDLY AS UNIVERSAL WILL FINALLY RELEASE [IMO] THE LONG AWAITED NATIVE UHD4K REMASTER OF JOHN LANDIS' ANIMAL HOUSE ON MAY 18th!

81n5s1XVb6L._SL1500_.jpg
81u0LFr2EML._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Still looks like too classy and high brow for me
Man, do i hear you on that! On the one hand:
–This film has never looked better to me: a 4K restoration by the British Film Institute's National Archive highlights Ken Russell's lush visuals and Billy William's stellar cinematography (the example he articulates in the clip i posted above is indicative of his thoughtful work)
–This film has never sounded better to me: the LPCM Mono track delivers the erudite dialogue and although it's in Mono, the soundtrack sounds wonderful
–The extras on board this Criterion Blu-ray are top shelf: not one, but two interesting and engaging commentary tracks; five separate features with insightful interviews that deepen my appreciation of the film; and a previously unreleased short film based on another D. H. Lawrence story
–The acting is superb: it is clear why Glenda Jackson (who was relatively unknown at the time) won the Oscar, and she is one of four outstanding performances
On the other hand:
i'm a recovering Engl-ish teacher, and my love of this film comes from a love of its source material. i first saw this as an undergrad in the very early 1980s in a film study class; i also happened to be taking a course on modern British Literature, and we had just read Lawrence's novel (gotta love serendipity). Your adjectives "classy" and "high brow" do fit, but if you have a chance to rent the Criterion Blu-ray, i wouldn't pass it up, especially if you have the time to go into the rich collection of extras that Criterion has on board. Or, just head right to Ken Russell's 1975 adaptation of Tommy and TURN THAT MUG UP!
https://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/72895/women-in-love/https://www.slantmagazine.com/dvd/women-in-love/https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Women-in-Love-Blu-ray/102892/#Review

Ingmar Bergman's sometimes whimsically magical and somewhat disturbing tale of a brother and sister growing up in the early 1900's in Sweden who suddenly lose their beloved father only to be subjected to the cruel intervention of their widowed mother's sudden betrothal to a wicked local cleric. Originally made for Swedish Television but released in a wonderful edited [theatrical] version by Criterion. Original Swedish TV show also included in its entirety.

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Fanny-and-Alexander-Blu-ray/15930/#Review

See the source image

See the source image
Oh, i MOST DEFINITELY second this post! I LOVE this 1984 Academy Award winner for Best International Feature Film (along with Best Cinematography, Production Design, and Costume Design!). What compels me to post is that i long owned and cherished the Criterion DVD release (which, like the Blu-ray, comprises the theatrical release, the television version, and a nearly two hour long documentary, also directed by Bergman). About a year ago, i treated myself during a Criterion sale to the MONSTER Bergman box, and when i watched this on Blu-ray, it was nothing short of a revelation! Again, the film never looked so good! As noted in the review Ralph included in his post, "it literally feels as if some sort of a giant filter has been removed from the film." And the audio is no less wonderful an upgrade; again, from the review: "The Swedish DTS-HD Master Audio 1.0 track boasts a strong range of nuanced dynamics that enhance the fantasy sequences very well. Generally, the dialog and the spooky noises also sound a lot cleaner and crisper than they do on the DVD release." This was one worthy upgrade for me, and if you are a Bergman fan, i highly recommend scoring this Blu-ray . . . you don't need that whole box set; it's available SEPARATELY!

While on the subject of Swedish Director Ingmar Bergman's fabulous filmography [and I do own Bergman's massive 38 film box set on BD~V], I'd be remiss not to mention one of Bergman's most personal films SCENES FROM A MARRIAGE. It, again, like Fanny and Alexander, was shot for Swedish Television in 16mm and Criterion again has lavished us with, IMO, a spectacular restoration from the original camera negative and re~edited this film into Theatrical form. I did manage to see this extraordinary film in a theater when I was in my late 20's and was deeply moved by the two main performances of Liv Ullman and Erland Josephson and the dissection of a marriage in which Ullman's character was subservient to her husband's every whim until he divorced her for a younger woman. The ensuing juxtaposition concerns Ullman's former self~worthlessness slowly blossoming into a mature, confident, successful woman while Josephson's failed relationship degenerates into a sniveling male who realized he still loved his cuckolded wife but her need for him had diminished. While the ending is touching it does show you never know what you've fully had until you don't have it any more.

815WACqUYkL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
While on the subject of Swedish Director Ingmar Bergman's fabulous filmography [and I do own Bergman's massive 38 film box set on BD~V], I'd be remiss not to mention one of Bergman's most personal films SCENES FROM A MARRIAGE. It, again, like Fanny and Alexander, was shot for Swedish Television in 16mm and Criterion again has lavished us with, IMO, a spectacular restoration from the original camera negative and re~edited this film into Theatrical form. I did manage to see this extraordinary film in a theater when I was in my late 20's and was deeply moved by the two main performances of Liv Ullman and Erland Josephson and the dissection of a marriage in which Ullman's character was subservient to her husband's every whim until he divorced her for a younger woman. The ensuing juxtaposition concerns Ullman's former self~worthlessness slowly blossoming into a mature, confident, successful woman while Josephson's failed relationship degenerates into a sniveling male who realized he still loved his cuckolded wife but her need for him had diminished. While the ending is touching it does show you never know what you've fully had until you don't have it any more.

815WACqUYkL._SL1500_.jpg
Also includes a hilarious scene that still gives me a chuckle when I think about it years later. No spoilers but those who have seen it will know the one.

WHOA!
1615469692003.png
HEREDITARY

One of the nice things about films getting the 4K treatment is that the Blu-ray editions can be had for cheap! A former student (an amazing human being who has lovingly cultivated my appreciation for horror over the years–Rod da Mod!) encouraged me to check this film out, so when i saw it could be had for $5, i figured it was time! i don't want to say too much about the actual film beyond the fact that, if you like an intense family drama and a writer/director playing with the horror genre, head out and take this one for a ride–it's nuts (see what i did there, those of you who've seen the film?). Since this thread is titled "Films (Almost Entirely Surround)," let me tell you that the surround mix on this one is wonderful! Right from jump street, the DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 kicks in and continues through the end credits, sometimes subtle, sometimes intense, always enhancing the total experience. Colin Stetson's score is truly amazing: ominous, moody, disturbing, foreboding, forbidding, . . . deliciously apt! The soundstage is utilized to great effect throughout as well, with sounds of insects and wind and turning notebook pages and clacking tongues popping up behind and messing with my mind! Sublime! The acting is first-rate, as well. Highly recommended for a late-night viewing!
https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Hereditary-Blu-ray/210261/#Reviewhttps://bluray.highdefdigest.com/61552/hereditary.htmlhttps://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/review/73277

I had the exact opposite reaction, Tim. Tried to like the Lighthouse but found it ultimately depressing despite the fantastic acting chops of both Willem Dafoe and Robert Pattinson although the production values were astounding! OTOH, I bought the UHD4K disc of the WITCH and found it compelling on every level.

91jnKMfL42L._SL1500_.jpg
NICE! This one is really BEVVITCHING!
1615570797201.png
The VVitch: A New-England Folktale
Here's another Blu-ray i picked up for under $5 due to the release of a 4K edition. i'm with Ralph: compelling on every level . . . well, except for one! Interestingly, i watched this after checking out Hereditary: two stellar debuts from writer/directors, both from A24, both family dramas seen through the lens of the horror genre. Again, i don't want to say too much about the plot, but just like Hereditary, this is a very thoughtfully written and wonderfully directed film with great attention to detail and powerful performances from all involved. The one aspect of this film that didn't live up to my expectations is the lossless DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 mix. Having written that, i don't mean to suggest that it is bad; it's just that it's very subtle . . . and effective! Actually, the more i write about it here–for, after all, this thread is titled Films (Almost Entirely Surround)–the more i feel i'm going to convince myself that the mix is perfect! The power of this very powerful film comes from its subtlety, the possibility of evil lurking just beneath the surface, insidiously residing in the seemingly mundane. The Mark Korven's score is really effective at capturing that spookiness, and when it does kick into full gear, such as in the uplifting–as it were–finale, it's all-encompassing. My sub was asleep through most of the film, but when it woke near the aforementioned end, it did so with a vengeance! Okay, Ralph IS right: compelling on EVERY level! Another Highly Recommended late-night viewing selection!
https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Witch-Blu-ray/149279/#Reviewhttps://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/70690/witch-the/https://bluray.highdefdigest.com/31677/thewitch.htmlhttps://geeksofdoom.com/2016/05/17/blu-ray-review-the-witch

Last edited:
Last edited:
For the last few nights, I've been enmeshed watching Amazon Prime's 'The Boarding School: Las Cumbres'....A Spanish thriller [dubbed in English] consisting of eight taut episodes broadcast in UHD4K with an immersive 5.1 soundtrack. Half way through, it still hasn't lost its allure but during these Covid times, a highly enjoyable mini series. The setting, BTW, is FANTASTIC!

See the source image

Back