Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Head to BestBuy.com. They are blowing out their 4k Steelbooks; although you need a bit of luck to score something.
They do have the Oppenheimer 4k UHD Steelbook still ... $9.99
Oppenheimer via their online store was no longer in stock [4K steelbook] but I did manage to get three more 4K Steelbook titles for $9.99 w/free s/h. Luckily, I do have the non steelbook 4K edition of Oppenheimer!

Thanks for the heads up. Unfortunately, Best Buy will stop issuing 4K titles in steelbook editions. But the majors will still manufacture them!

From Paramount Pictures, a 10 part mini series focusing on the [almost impossible] making of Francis Ford Coppola's THE GODFATHER

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Offer-Blu-ray/310492/#Review

61nMeTIuhBL._SL1000_.jpg
So I just finished watching all 541 minutes of THE OFFER via Paramount's excellent 4 disc 1080/DTS~HD MA 5.1 set and thoroughly enjoyed it! One wonders how THE GODFATHER ever got made after viewing this series.

Mafia intervention [lART imitates LIFE], Casting nightmares [None of the studio heads nor Gulf & Western which owned Paramount at the time wanted Al Pacino in the role of Michael Corleone .... insisting on Robert Redford instead ...... and because of budget concerns they wanted the Sicily footage shot stateside which gave Francis Ford Coppola AGITA....he insisted it HAD to be shot in Siciliy.

The casting was BRILLIANT! Miles Teller did an outstanding job as Albert S. Ruddy, the neophyte Executive Producer who was tasked with overseeing the Production.....Brit actor Matthew Goode as Paramount's wunderkind Studio head Robert Evans, Brit actor Burn Gorman [from the sci fi series TORCHWOOD] as Gulf and Western President Charles Bludhorn, Dan Fogler as Francis Ford Coppola who co wrote the GODFATHER script with author Mario Puzo, played by Patrick Gallo [an hilarious combo] and most especially Juno Temple who played Ruddy's 'gal Friday' secretary and special mention to Giovanni Ribisi who played mob boss Joe Colombo who was instrumental in getting the production company all the permits to allow shooting in actual New York City locations.

And then there was Frank Sinatra who did not want the picture to be made because he felt the character of Johnny Fontaine was actually him [HELLO FRANK....it actually WAS!]

And if one notices, the term MAFIA ws not utilized in the making of THE GODFATHER ....a necessary concession to the MOB if they Okayed the go ahead to shoot the film in the first place. And BTW, that horses head was REAL [not a prop} ..... Don't ASK!

For under $25 for the four disc set...I certainly got my money's worth and hopefully all ten episodes will eventually be available on Netflix/Amazon Prime streaming services and for those who subscribe to Paramount+ .....it should still be available for streaming.

VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Last edited:
As part of Criterion's continuing new releases from the Janus Film Collection, I watched Belgian directors' Felix Van Groeningen/Charlotte Vandermeersch's expansive adaptation of novelist Paolo Cognetti's 2016 book THE EIGHT MOUNTAINS

Spanning over four decades and shot in the Italian Alps, it's the story of two young boys who meet in a remote Alpine village and become lifelong friends.

The two leads [as adults], Luca Marinelli and Alesandro Borghi are magnificent as Pietro and Bruno who both share a love of the soaring mountains and reconstruct a house which Pietro's father built many years before on a remote mountain top before becoming estranged for 15 years as each pursues their own destinies. And the ending is a real tearjerker!

The Eight Mountains boasts gorgeous cinematography and a modest DTS~HD MA 5.1 soundtrack but inexplicably it was shot in 1:33.1 which puzzled me since the majesty of the scenery, IMO, should've commanded the full 1:85.1 scope which ironically, the two acompanying documentaries share!

VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED and at the asking sale price of $15 ...... one of the jewels in my expanding Criterion collection of World Cinema!

Eight Mountains banner

Last edited:
Last edited:
As part of Criterion's continuing new releases from the Janus Film Collection, I watched Belgian directors' Felix Van Groeningen/Charlotte Vandermeersch's expansive adaptation of novelist Paolo Cognetti 2016 book THE EIGHT MOUNTAINS

Spanning over four decades and shot in the Italian Alps, it's the story of two young boys who meet in a remote Alpine village and become lifelong friends.

The two leads [as adults], Luca Marinelli and Alesandro Borghi are magnificent as Pietro and Bruno who both share a love of the soaring mountains and reconstruct a house which Pietro's father built many years before on a remote mountain top before becoming estranged for 15 years as each pursues their own destinies. And the ending is a real tearjerker!

The Eight Mountains boasts gorgeous cinematography and a modest DTS~HD MA 5.1 soundtrack but inexplicably it was shot in 1:33.1 which puzzled me since the majesty of the scenery, IMO, should've commanded the full 1:85.1 scope which ironically, the two acompanying documentaries share!

VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED and at the asking sale price of $15 ...... one of the jewels in my expanding Criterion collection of World Cinema!

Eight Mountains banner
Where is this offered for $15?

Where is this offered for $15?
When both Amazon and Barnes and Noble had their 50% off sale on ALL Criterion titles some months ago. Usually it's a bi annual event so check this thread for any updates on future sales!

List price on Criterion's Janus Films BD~V collection is $30!

Last edited:
Criterion also does flash sales.
Peeps are pretty good about posting here when one of those three sites are having that sale .. a time when we empty the coffers for the films we have been looking forward to.

All This and World War II is a 1976 musical documentary directed by Susan Winslow. It juxtaposes classic Beatles songs covered by a variety of musicians including: Jeff Lynne, Peter Gabriel, The Bee Gee's, Leo Sayer, Status Quo, Keith Moon etc along with World War II newsreel footage. This is the first time ever this version of the film (opposed to the Tony Palmer re-cut) is available on DVD. This deluxe package also includes a 2 x CD set, of all the tracks in their entirety, reproduction press pack, publicity photos, lobby cards and posters. Release date 2/23/24 $119.00
Screenshot 2024-02-13 at 2.41.36 PM.png

Arriving April 23rd from KINO CLASSICS and Russian Director Andrei Tarkovsky NOSTALGHIA [Native UHD4K from OCN]

Andrei Tarkovsky explained that in Russian the word “nostalghia” conveys “the love for your homeland and the melancholy that arises from being far away.” This debilitating form of homesickness is embodied in the film by Andrei (Oleg Yankovsky, The Mirror), a Russian intellectual doing research in Italy. He becomes obsessed with the Botticelli-like beauty of his translator Eugenia (Domiziana Giordano), as well as with the apocalyptic ramblings of a self-destructive wanderer named Domenico (Erland Josephson, The Sacrifice). Written with frequent Michelangelo Antonioni collaborator Tonino Guerra (L’Avventura) and newly restored in 4K from the original camera negative, Nostalghia is a mystical and mysterious collision of East and West, shot with the tactile beauty that only Tarkovsky can provide. As J. Hoberman wrote, “Nostalghia is not so much a movie as a place to inhabit for two hours.”

71p1q3-9G7L._SL1500_.jpg

Arriving April 23rd from KINO CLASSICS and Russian Director Andrei Tarkovsky NOSTALGHIA [Native UHD4K from OCN]

Andrei Tarkovsky explained that in Russian the word “nostalghia” conveys “the love for your homeland and the melancholy that arises from being far away.” This debilitating form of homesickness is embodied in the film by Andrei (Oleg Yankovsky, The Mirror), a Russian intellectual doing research in Italy. He becomes obsessed with the Botticelli-like beauty of his translator Eugenia (Domiziana Giordano), as well as with the apocalyptic ramblings of a self-destructive wanderer named Domenico (Erland Josephson, The Sacrifice). Written with frequent Michelangelo Antonioni collaborator Tonino Guerra (L’Avventura) and newly restored in 4K from the original camera negative, Nostalghia is a mystical and mysterious collision of East and West, shot with the tactile beauty that only Tarkovsky can provide. As J. Hoberman wrote, “Nostalghia is not so much a movie as a place to inhabit for two hours.”

71p1q3-9G7L._SL1500_.jpg
Hmm. No relation to Keno(I'll bet!) or Rhino...

Mr. Ralph, lately you seem to have "Blow Out" and 'Blow Up" on the brain, cinematically speaking!
I believe you have me confused with Timothyperson [Pete]...see post 6,071 above!

But now that you mention it, I should finally crack open my Criterion 4K version of Brian De Palma's BLOW OUT .......and my Criterion 1080p copy of Antonini's BLOW UP...for that FULL BLOWN experience!

71p1q3-9G7L._SL1500_.jpg
I haven't seen this Tarkovsky but golly, I hope Solaris gets a 4K release soon with audio that's something other than the mono that's on Criterion's BD.

NEVER one to pass up a bargain [$17.49], I watched director Jan De Bont's [Twister/Speed] THE HAUNTING [1999] based on the original novel "The Haunting of Hill House' by Shirley Jackson via SCREAM Factory's spectacular Native UHD4K transfer [HDR10/Dolby Vision/DTS~HD MA 5.1]. Via Scream's BD~100 disc encoded at a very high bit rate [in the 90's], I was in absolute awe of Academy Award set designer Eugenio Zanetti's incredulous interior set design!

The cast which consisted of Liam Neeson, Catherine Zeta~Jones, Lili Taylor and Owen Wilson with cameos by Bruce Dern and Marian Seldes as the caretakers had one hell of a good time negotiating all the terrifying rigamarole De Bont put them through. While Robert Wise's original THE HAUNTING was an excellent psychological study in horror, this version was physical and unlike Paramount's original BD~V in 1080p, Scream Factory's 4K upgrade allowed one to see all the amazing machinations involved in this $91M production.

With music scoring by Jerry Goldsmith, the 5.1 sound design was immersiven enough to allow every nuance of the creaking house to seep through and the bass at times was overwhelming.

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Haunting-4K-Blu-ray/333742/#Review

28359_23_large.jpg

Last edited:
Back