Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What can I say other than it's a REAL Blast from the Past! It's billed as being remastered for DOLBY ATMOS but in 5.1 it sounded like MONO to me. If you crank up the volume it sounds GREAT but not, of course up to modern standards. I watched it in optional WIDESCREEN and switching back to FULL SCREEN, I'd opt for the wider picture. The color grading is superb. Never knew Pete Townsend had such piercing baby blue eyes! Except for Yoko Ono's shrill primal screaming during
The Dirty Mac's performance [consisting of John Lennon, Eric Clapton [almost unrecognizable], Keith Richards and Mitch Mitchell], all the performances are solid. And there are extra performances which were cut from the main event and well worth seeking out ......Taj Mahal is superb [as always]. 63 minutes in length and IMO, worth the investment:

81AZshYYi0L._SL1500_.jpg

How is Marianne Faithful's performance on this? Along with Tull and the Who, and I'm somewhat interested (well, there's the ATMOS, as well!).

What can I say other than it's a REAL Blast from the Past! It's billed as being remastered for DOLBY ATMOS but in 5.1 it sounded like MONO to me. If you crank up the volume it sounds GREAT but not, of course up to modern standards. I watched it in optional WIDESCREEN and switching back to FULL SCREEN, I'd opt for the wider picture. The color grading is superb. Never knew Pete Townsend had such piercing baby blue eyes! Except for Yoko Ono's shrill primal screaming during
The Dirty Mac's performance [consisting of John Lennon, Eric Clapton [almost unrecognizable], Keith Richards and Mitch Mitchell], all the performances are solid. And there are extra performances which were cut from the main event and well worth seeking out ......Taj Mahal is superb [as always]. 63 minutes in length and IMO, worth the investment:

81AZshYYi0L._SL1500_.jpg

How is Marianne Faithful's performance on this? Along with Tull and the Who, and I'm somewhat interested (well, there's the ATMOS, as well!).

Marianne Faithful's performance is shall we stay STATIC. She's propped up on who knows what looking like a model ..... the WHO and TULL are solid performances. As previously mentioned, the ATMOS is predominantly MONO [it was 1968 and was shot for BBC TV] but if you raise the volume you will not be disappointed.

The Terror - Season 1 (2018) BD:
1. Discreet and decent Dolby TrueHD 7.1 mix. Lots of wind and boat creaks coming from the surrounds. Great fidelity.
2. Cool story/acting/direction/characters.
3. Really cheap: https://www.amazon.com/Terror-Seaso...error+blu+ray&qid=1565305348&s=gateway&sr=8-1 but Region A-locked BD.
4. The only thing that was slightly annoying was sometimes having to switch on the subtitles due to mumbling.

1. Discreet and decent Dolby TrueHD 7.1 mix. Lots of wind and boat creaks coming from the surrounds. Great fidelity.
3. Really cheap: https://www.amazon.com/Terror-Seaso...error+blu+ray&qid=1565305348&s=gateway&sr=8-1 but Region A-locked BD.
4. The only thing that was slightly annoying was sometimes having to switch on the subtitles due to mumbling.
That first season was great!

Thanks for the heads up. I was intrigued by the series and it will be a definite purchase.

In the same vein, Tom Hardy's mesmerizing TABOO is also available from AmazonUS CHEAP .... it's brilliant, IMO: https://www.amazon.com/Taboo-Season...2YYDFSZAG7S&psc=1&refRID=DPBJ7A4PV2YYDFSZAG7S

41cDUUobj7L.jpg

Netflix debuts BOI shot in Barcelona and featuring Bernat Quintana as a failed novelist starting his new employment as a chaffeur. Strange but intriguing cinema. I enjoyed it! Most of it is in English with occasional subtitles.

See the source image

See the source image

Bernat Quintana as BOI

Last edited:
Oliver Stone's THE DOORS movie in NATIVE UHD 4K and remastered Dolby Atmos just received a glowing review from High~def Digest

https://ultrahd.highdefdigest.com/72244/thedoors4kultrahdbluray.html
The_Doors_4K.png

just did a listen at very low volume (roommate's, neighbors) and the clarity in atmos was exceptional but the mids and lower bass seem to be lacking. I'll have to listen full volume for a fair evaluation but so far the vocal clarity is the biggest improvement but the DVD-A box set seems much more full all around fidelity wise but maybe the volume will help but I don't think as much as I am hoping .

Five to One and Dead Cats, Dead Rats are vocal standouts but IMO Oliver picked all my favorite songs that I would have picked for this film and is what makes this film so sacred and to hear ALL my favorite songs in Atmos is the cherry on the top.

I mean, how often do you hear Indian Summer?

IOW, Oliver and crew didn't have the DVD-A's to work with when this film was initially mixed and it shows. The good news is it shows how exceptional the DVD-A box set is.

If your interested in how Lon Bender mixed this into Atmos the extra interview with him is very telling. I feel he is the Elliot Scheiner (ES) of Atmos. He talks my language.

But this just might be one of those mixes that needs to be heard loud, and there is no substitution for that!

Last edited:
Last edited:
I'm also wating for the Zavvi Avengers Endgame in 3D. I thought I couldn't import the UK version so went to them first purchase.

Back