Frank Zappa Waka/Wazoo Deluxe 4CD + Blu-Ray 5.1 and Atmos!!!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've just had this from the Zappa Store!
1671308792598.png

Anyone else get a defective Blu-Ray where the center channel is distorted while playing the surround tracks? Every song on both albums has this problem. The other 4 channels and the sub all sound fine.

No it’s not my setup or equipment. I tested it.
Did you hear the same thing on the streaming versions? This is the first mention of this I have seen.

I can barely hear the vocals with all the stuff going on in atmos.. the truehd one is louder on them and the stereo is good as well 96 24 bit :D.

I cannot tell? it does sound different then the other 5.1 from 2.0 but that must be because of other speakers in unison. It sounds great though. First time hearing both albums so i am kinda new to Zappa.

I cannot tell? it does sound different then the other 5.1 from 2.0 but that must be because of other speakers in unison. It sounds great though. First time hearing both albums so i am kinda new to Zappa.
Channels can sound distorted when isolated, although they don't have to depending on the mix. The new Police is like that but sounds normal in the sweet spot with proper levels. Center channels don't always blend properly because some people also have TVs fighting for space, so proper center quality and placement suffers.

Channels can sound distorted when isolated, although they don't have to depending on the mix. The new Police is like that but sounds normal in the sweet spot with proper levels. Center channels don't always blend properly because some people also have TVs fighting for space, so proper center quality and placement suffers.
What? I have 200+ 5.1 DVDs and Blu-Ray discs and have never had that happen.

Who uses a TV for sound when listening to 5.1?

Last edited:
SO ARE ALL BLURAYS BROKEN WITH A DISTORTED CENTER ON ATMOS? Have not received from Zappa store either...

I really wanted to review the 4 CDs and the 5.1 mixes at the same time but since my Blu-Ray is fucked I will start with the 4CDs.

I listened to all of it straight thru 2 times so far. One thing I thought of right away was and I could be wrong but how much of the tracks that are labeled as Outtake or Alternate Take are actually basic tracks for the final songs that wound up on the finished albums?
The Alternate Mixes are great but I prefer all the final mixes much better. Frank made the right choice with all of it especially Big Swifty. It just sounds weird to me. Not a fan at all of the Think It Over (TGW) vocal version. Frank again made the right decision to leave it instrumental. All the jams and solos are killer throughout every song. It's great to have all these alt versions. The Duke stuff is amazing as well. So glad to have it.

The Winterland show is really nice and FZs guitar playing is savage as always. I love the early versions of Cosmic Debris and Montana. The alt lyrics in Cosmic Debris are cool to hear but the effect on FZs voice for the last verse after the solos sounds terrible and I find it very distracting. Chunga kills, best song in the set.

One thing I always found odd about the Petit shows is that they played no songs from Waka or Wazoo like they did just one month earlier on TGW shows. Frank ever changing I guess. We got the full show from Boston 09-24-1972 from the TGW tour already as ZAPPA WAZOO but why include Winterland which has no songs from the 2 albums? Maybe no more tapes of the other shows exist and Boston is the only one? Maybe Joe can confirm this.

Since I am a drummer myself I have to bring this up. Since Winterland is included I listened closely comparing Aynsley Dunbar’s drumming on the final albums to Jim Gordon’s drumming from Winterland and from ZAPPA WAZOO. Jim Gordon is a great drummer but I really wish Aynsley had done both tours instead. Anysley is a great rock drummer but also a jazz monster and Jim is more of a solid groove player with some great licks throw in here and there. Nothing wrong with it, Jim does do a great job. I just wondered what these 2 bands would have sounded like live with Dunbar instead.

I'll prob have more later once I listen one more time.

Back