Frank Zappa Waka/Wazoo Deluxe 4CD + Blu-Ray 5.1 and Atmos!!!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SO ARE ALL BLURAYS BROKEN WITH A DISTORTED CENTER ON ATMOS? Have not received from Zappa store either...

No one has really responded yes or no yet, all I know is that mine is bad. Someone at SHMF reviewed it and didn't make mention of any problem with the center channel.

I’m no expert but distortion strikes me as a problem within the digital data, not a manufacturing defect.
Either way, if there is a problem this is yet another example of what appears to be non existent QC.

Now that The Rang has mentioned it I should clarify. It sounds more like a digital crackling issue. I may have used the word distortion incorrectly to describe the bad noise.

Still waiting to get Wazooed here, well Universal Music Group???

fingers.gif

Listening to both today. Nothing out of the ordinary in the Atmos mix for me. Haven’t tried the 5.1 yet.

I feel bad for you @jaypfunk. I’m sure most of us here make our pre-orders with high anticipation and little patience as we wait for the weeks to pass and for the shipping notice to drop in our inbox. To find a flaw that requires a return stinks.

Hope the replacement is perfect.

Who-rah!! Even though it's shipped (most likely just a label made) the next Zappa multi channel will be ordered from Da Moose!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221218-142136-650.png
    Screenshot_20221218-142136-650.png
    56.9 KB · Views: 0
This is a disc where the difference in audio levels is a bit annoying. The Grand Wazoo, as pointed out by @sjcorne, is at a lower volume level than typical which means you’ll likely crank it up more.

However, when that album finishes and drops back into the disc menu, the music is louder which can be a bit of a jolt if you’re not expecting it.

I had never encountered that issue before, but in a short space of time have seen it twice. Creatures of the Night being the other.

Still, a fantastic disc of music.

No one has really responded yes or no yet, all I know is that mine is bad. Someone at SHMF reviewed it and didn't make mention of any problem with the center channel.
I listened to the full Blu Ray in Atmos after I ripped it, played perfect.
I have not listened to the hard disc at all.
I have not listened to my ripped 5.1 or 2.0.
I will likely never listen to the 2.0 and will only listen to the 5.1 in the car.
Only trust people on QQ, SHF is the dark side. :LB

marpow… what? After you ripped it? My issue is the Blu-Ray disc playing the center channel with digital noise thru my proper 5.1 system with Blu-Ray.

Last edited:
marpow… what? After you ripped it? My issue is the Blu-Ray disc playing the center channel with digital noise thru my proper 5.1 system .
I have heard no digital noise through any of my 9 speakers and 3 subs when I played the ripped Atmos disc.
It is my experience that whatever is on the hard disc will transfer to the rip, any dissatisfaction on the hard disc will transfer to the rip.
I hope you get it resolved to your satisfaction. Maybe someone else can explain better?

I guess I'm curious. Are the "distorted/digital noise" sounds coming from the center channel, audible when sitting in the sweet spot? Or, do you have to isolate the center, and or, stick your ear close to the center? If it's the later two, well, I dunno.

So disappointed with the defective Blu-Ray. It’s been returned and replacement is coming Tuesday.
Just got my shipment a few minutes ago. Based on your post I immediately played the blue ray. The menu was a little funky but it played. How did yours function as a defect?

Back