Steven Wilson Fun Poll: Predict Steven Wilson's 2021 5.1/Atmos Mixes

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelydave

Super Moderator
Staff member
Since 2002/2003
In a couple of recent interviews (including this one with Sound & Vision's Mike Mettler) Steven Wilson has talked a bit about how he's enjoying his new Atmos mixing rig, and that the 2020 lockdown gave him time to complete a bunch of surround remixes he wouldn't have otherwise been able to do.

There are a few we already know about (the three Gentle Giant albums mentioned in the S&V interview linked above) and Jethro Tull's A, but I was thinking it might be fun to play a little game here and try to predict what some of these may be.

So the rules are simple: choose only one album you think will be released in 2021 as a Steven Wilson remix, and post it in this thread. Discussion and banter are fine, but when I go back over the posts, if you've posted more than one guess only your first one will count and the rest will be disregarded. I'll tally up the posts in January, 2022 (presuming I haven't won the lottery by then) and we can see if anyone was correct.

There are a number of things you should factor into your prediction, among them the bands SW has professed liking or wanting to remix in the past, the record labels he's worked with before, and albums that are in an anniversary year, give or take a year, ie released in 1971-72, 1981-82, or 1991-92 would probably be greater candidates for 30th/40th/50th anniversary deluxe editions. If you want to explain the reasoning for your choice you can, but it's not mandatory.

Seeing as I'm starting this thread, I'll go first with a prediction for Moving Pictures by Rush. Reasoning being that it's the album's 40th anniversary this year, SW has remixed Rush in the past (and surely they've heard the unhappiness with the 5.1 mixes Chycki has done) and doing an Atmos remix of the album to me would represent a valid artistic and financial reason to milk that cow again.

Great thread idea Dave!

Ooh it's quite exciting to contemplate. Knowing that he's remixed 5 or 6 rock/pop albums from this excellent recent interview... And thinking it would be it's 30th (😱) anniversary this year.... And Universal are pushing Atmos.... But most of all because I really want it to happen - I'm going to say.... 🥁 Nevermind by Nirvana.

I would be doing cartwheels around the room if that happened! :cool:

Great thread idea Dave!

Ooh it's quite exciting to contemplate. Knowing that he's remixed 5 or 6 rock/pop albums from this excellent recent interview... And thinking it would be it's 30th (😱) anniversary this year.... And Universal are pushing Atmos.... But most of all because I really want it to happen - I'm going to say.... 🥁 Nevermind by Nirvana.

I would be doing cartwheels around the room if that happened! :cool:
Man that would be awesome

Could Tears For Fears' Elemental be a possibility? The 30th anniversary isn't until 2023, but SW has worked with the band twice now and I believe he mentioned in one of the interviews that most of the remix projects he's working on are for UMe. Also, The Seeds Of Love box set's release didn't exactly align with it's 30th anniversary year.

In a couple of recent interviews (including this one with Sound & Vision's Mike Mettler) Steven Wilson has talked a bit about how he's enjoying his new Atmos mixing rig, and that the 2020 lockdown gave him time to complete a bunch of surround remixes he wouldn't have otherwise been able to do.

There are a few we already know about (the three Gentle Giant albums mentioned in the S&V interview linked above) and Jethro Tull's A, but I was thinking it might be fun to play a little game here and try to predict what some of these may be.

So the rules are simple: choose only one album you think will be released in 2021 as a Steven Wilson remix, and post it in this thread. Discussion and banter are fine, but when I go back over the posts, if you've posted more than one guess only your first one will count and the rest will be disregarded. I'll tally up the posts in January, 2022 (presuming I haven't won the lottery by then) and we can see if anyone was correct.

There are a number of things you should factor into your prediction, among them the bands SW has professed liking or wanting to remix in the past, the record labels he's worked with before, and albums that are in an anniversary year, give or take a year, ie released in 1971-72, 1981-82, or 1991-92 would probably be greater candidates for 30th/40th/50th anniversary deluxe editions. If you want to explain the reasoning for your choice you can, but it's not mandatory.

Seeing as I'm starting this thread, I'll go first with a prediction for Moving Pictures by Rush. Reasoning being that it's the album's 40th anniversary this year, SW has remixed Rush in the past (and surely they've heard the unhappiness with the 5.1 mixes Chycki has done) and doing an Atmos remix of the album to me would represent a valid artistic and financial reason to milk that cow again.

They can call it the "40th Anniversary - Neil Peart Commemorative Edition"

Could Tears For Fears' Elemental be a possibility? The 30th anniversary isn't until 2023, but SW has worked with the band twice now and I believe he mentioned in one of the interviews that most of the remix projects he's working on are for UMe. Also, The Seeds Of Love box set's release didn't exactly align with it's 30th anniversary year.

I love that album. I can't imagine it makes the label's list of projects to invest in, but it would make me happy.

I love that album. I can't imagine it makes the label's list of projects to invest in, but it would make me happy.

Love it too. It sold a lot better in the UK than it did in America so it could happen. Also, over on SDE, Paul Sinclair has said that a reissue similar to the other TFF sets is being considered.

It's rumored that a box set is soon to be announced for THE WHO SELL OUT. So I will be an optimist and pick that for my prediction.

And on the totally unrealistic, wishful thinking front…. I saw a recent interview with Steven where he said he had just discovered the music of Shawn Phillips. I would love for Steven to tackle that catalogue. Anyone else here remember Shawn Phillips?

It's rumored that a box set is soon to be announced for THE WHO SELL OUT. So I will be an optimist and pick that for my prediction.

And on the totally unrealistic, wishful thinking front…. I saw a recent interview with Steven where he said he had just discovered the music of Shawn Phillips. I would love for Steven to tackle that catalogue. Anyone else here remember Shawn Phillips?
Once again....GOS says; "Who the hell is Shawn Phillips"?

Back