Genesis albums to be released on blu-ray

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd just be happy with something that actually SOUNDS like a high rez disc..I don't care about extras...chewing gum..photos..videos...just give me sound that is WORTHY of a hi rez disc...and the SACD's didn't do that...as much as I love that music I can't rationalize enough to foster the illusion that those discs sound acceptable..because they don't...I don't care if they are bare bones and come in a plain brown wrapper and costs $40 apiece...just give me quality music...that's all I can say on the matter..

It would be nice if any future Genesis Blu-Rays utilized Nick Davis' flat mixes with no additional mastering that way we could hear exactly what Nick's mixes sounded like before the mastering was applied, giving us what we currently hear. I have a feeling I would enjoy these mixes even more without the additional mastering, and I'm sure many others on here would too, but I'm pretty sure any and all future Genesis Blu-Rays will have the same audio as the SACD/DVD-V releases.

But hey at least these discs sound better than others, like the David Bowie SACD of "Ziggy Stardust". Revisited that one this afternoon, and I was reminded how horrible and unadventurous the surround on that one is, not to mention that the mastering makes it sound really thin. Most Genesis discs IMO are a breath of fresh air after that.

I'd just be happy with something that actually SOUNDS like a high rez disc..I don't care about extras...chewing gum..photos..videos...just give me sound that is WORTHY of a hi rez disc...and the SACD's didn't do that...as much as I love that music I can't rationalize enough to foster the illusion that those discs sound acceptable..because they don't...I don't care if they are bare bones and come in a plain brown wrapper and costs $40 apiece...just give me quality music...that's all I can say on the matter..

It's a shame because I would prefer the opposite. I would give up stellar audio for half decent audio and all those extras RT refered to. :)

It's a shame because I would prefer the opposite. I would give up stellar audio for half decent audio and all those extras RT refered to. :)

I admit some of the video extras are hit and miss, but the interviews are worth the price of admission alone, especially for the Green 1970-1975 box set, where they stretch anywhere from 30 to 50 mins long each! :)

Has anyone heard any updates on the Genesis Blu-ray Audio releases? Will they ever happen or should I re-mortgage and start looking for the SACD's?

Has anyone heard any updates on the Genesis Blu-ray Audio releases? Will they ever happen or should I re-mortgage and start looking for the SACD's?

The only one that was ever released was "Selling England by the Pound", and so far, no other releases have followed (and I'm doubtful they ever will.)
I would still try to accumulate the SACD releases, just because then you also get the CD layer which can be played anywhere, and the DVDs also have a lot of good bonus visual material, including some really in-depth interviews with the band on the making of each album. :)

Yep, I've got 'Selling England by the Pound' but I expected the rest of them to follow. I'm keen to get the 70's stuff but that's the most expensive on SACD or the box set. It will be a shame if they don't happen though...

My hope is that they all be revisited at some point, maybe on the 50th anniversary? As it stands now they can't even be bothered to run the Genesis website properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the time has long since past for individual Blu-Ray releases of the rest of the Genesis albums. The perfect opportunity to have released them was in 2014 as tie-ins to the "R-Kive" set and the new "Sum of the Parts" documentary.
If this year's release schedule of surround releases is any indication, Universal won't be releasing anymore 'random' titles as single HFPA Blu-Ray discs.
The only single Blu-Ray releases from Universal this year are tie-ins with bigger anniversary editions of the same album ("New Gold Dream" and the upcoming release of "Tales of Mystery and Imagination".)
Maybe someday we'll see Blu-Ray box sets similar to the SACD and vinyl box sets we already have, but I'm certainly not expecting anything anytime soon.
As Tim has already alluded, Genesis are a sleeping giant right now, and I expect things to remain quiet.

Back