HiRez Poll Gentle Giant - INTERVIEW [Blu-Ray Audio (Dolby Atmos)]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the Blu-Ray of Gentle Giant - Interview

• 7:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6:

• 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

sjcorne

Staff member
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2023 reissue of the classic album "Interview" by Gentle Giant.
This new release features THREE different surround sound versions of the album: a new 2023 5.1 surround mix, a new 2023 Dolby Atmos mix, and the original Quadraphonic mix that was originally released on DVD-V in 2012. The 2023 mixes were remixed by Steven Wilson.

The Dolby Atmos mix is also available to stream on all Dolby Atmos streaming providers:

(y) :) (n)

814-vuOcPQL._SL1500_.jpg

Pre-release thread for all shipping/ordering queries and non-poll related posts:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...view-5-1-dolby-atmos-remix-out-in-june.34085/

I think this is another fantastic job by Steven Wilson. Immersive mix, a lot in the rears. His re-mix has led me to be more appreciative of this album.
Prior to the remix, I never cared too much for this album by Gentle Giant. I have the DVD-V from 2012 and it didn't leave much of an impression on me.
I listened to the Dolby Atmos mix and the 5.1 DTS HD Master. I think they sound great. I Lost My Head is incredible. like the packaging. It's reasonably priced. Visuals are cool. It's not part of a bloated box set, which is great. I give it a 9.

For Gentle Giant's 1976 eighth progressive rock album conceived as a radio interview, the group pulled out all stops and in its latest incarnation so has remix guru Steve Wilson.

As great as the original QUAD remix is, Mr. Wilson has managed to expand on the original soundscape in a most delightful way.

Never has this album sounded so ALIVE!

A solid 10 from me!

I voted 9.
I think I am becoming a little bit more reserved these days, there is so much surround in my library now.
I listened to Dolby Atmos, both hard disc and ripped MKV file.
My first love of this release was the acompying videos of the tracks. I stared at tracks 1 & 2 and the syncing of music and video was perfect.
Was this video the same in studio recording? It was perfect.
I think the music was a step down for me from Free Hand, maybe reason for the 9?
The Atmos surround effect, was absolutely perfect, I loved the use of all the surround channels, heights where very discrete and active.
I was glad 4Ears above stated "conceived as a radio interview" now it makes sense, as I was a little confused.

Please keep polls pure to your personal listening experience only.

I only listened to the stereo version. Very impressive and should be the standard for Blu-Ray audio discs. None of the static images that curse so many audio Blu-Rays.

A real surprise for a couple of the songs to see actual video of the band playing along with the music. Outstanding! Price is unbeatable...fidelity is killer. Typical SW quality. 10
My sentiments exactly, it gave me an insight into the mind of Steve Wilson, with him actually seeing these guys plays, the music no longer sounds, so 21st century schizoid dissonant, weird to me. XTC, King Crimsom, and gentle Giant sometimes push on the avant guarde side seeing them made me get a more holistic feel for the genre.

Another winner from Mr W, new 5.1 is far far superior to the Quad, gave this a 10 as it deserves no less, the songs on this are top notch too which was a surprise to me as it's not an album that receives great praise.
This sums it up for me.

A real surprise for a couple of the songs to see actual video of the band playing along with the music. Outstanding! Price is unbeatable...fidelity is killer. Typical SW quality. 10
I agree that really opened up the experience. Never thought we would get older footage that great matched so well to a surround mix, and kudos to how tight and true to the original tracks GG were when playing live! Outstanding!

I have to admit I've never been a particularly loyal GG fan. In fact no fan at all, except...Wilsons mixing skills bring a life to it.
Of previously mentioned GG, XTC, King Crimson...well I've been a Crimson fan I guess forever, but the other two just didn't appeal for some reason.

It's taken someone with Wilson's skill at mixing to bring some of these older albums out in the open to make me reconsider music I did not care for in the past.

Hey Steven, how about remixing some old Budgie? surely you grew up listening to them?

I have to admit I've never been a particularly loyal GG fan. In fact no fan at all, except...Wilsons mixing skills bring a life to it.
Of previously mentioned GG, XTC, King Crimson...well I've been a Crimson fan I guess forever, but the other two just didn't appeal for some reason.

It's taken someone with Wilson's skill at mixing to bring some of these older albums out in the open to make me reconsider music I did not care for in the past.

Hey Steven, how about remixing some old Budgie? surely you grew up listening to them?
Budgie, that would be something. Listened to them all the time in my youth.

I voted 10! Another great remix by Steven Wilson from the Gentle Giant catalog! He really improved the sound of In'terview with with new 5.1/Dolby Atmos mixes. Question; did the quad mixes that GG did for this album (or the ones they did for the preceding LP Free Hand) ever come out before the Deluxe Editions of these albums in 2012?

PS: I'd still like to see the Blu-Ray/5.1 edition of GG's First Album come out as a standalone release (since it came out as part of the Unburied Treasure box set a few years back).

I played this thru , twice on the 5.1 and twice on the quads.

I noticed a vol level drop on the 5.1 , compared with the quad, but it is minor . Not enough for me to bother with a volume adjustment.

The 5.1 mix is quite good , but then it is a Wilson mix , so ......there. Both the quad and 5.1 are very good ....but the 5.1 is new , so that's nice.

No video on the quad , but nice to see it , the video , added on the new mix. That's what the Shulman's do so we'll.

Overall an eight , which is very good . Love that 2nd song now, "Give It Back".
Kinda has its own groove.
This is a good follow-up to Free Hand , considering it was such a rush job.

Obviously not as much work put in by the band as opposed to Freehand.
The record company most probably made them tour incessantly until they were exhausted.
Anyway, there’s not as many high lights as Freehand ( which I first thought was being musically “too clever by half”) but there are some strong tracks there and massaged to perfection from SW.
Overall, a decent showing. I voted 8

I tend to agree with the above comments. Love the performance clips that play. On the short side very decent but doesn't hit the same highs as the previous Wilsonized releases. I'll listen more.

On the short side very decent but doesn't hit the same highs as the previous Wilsonized releases.
Interesting, for me this one lands near the top of the heap - maybe not as strong as Free Hand, but more accessible than Octopus or any of the first three. The Atmos mix is incredible, what SW did with "Design" here makes "On Reflection" sound like child's play. It can only be a "10".
https://immersiveaudioalbum.com/gentle-giant-interview-5-1-surround-sound-dolby-atmos/

Back