Grateful Dead in Surround (Dolby Atmos mixes of "American Beauty", "Europe '72" & "Workingman's Dead" now streaming!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
good f-in' gawd i need to pay more attention in class, i've barely given these a second listen!! 😂
no wonder sjcorne thought they were good mixes if they're by SW himself!! 🤯🤦‍♀️😅
Wow! I'm kinda surprised it was him, the Atmos mix doesn't bear many of the usual hallmarks of his style (center is used for more than just isolated vocals, and there are no moving elements in the height speakers). Like you I need to give it another few listens, but I remember thinking the main steel guitar part in "Sugar Magnolia" was off in the ether. "Ripple" sounds fantastic, better than the old DVD-A.

Wow! I'm kinda surprised it was him, the Atmos mix doesn't bear many of the usual hallmarks of his style (center is used for more than just isolated vocals, and there are no moving elements in the height speakers). Like you I need to give it another few listens, but I remember thinking the main steel guitar part in "Sugar Magnolia" was off in the ether. "Ripple" sounds fantastic, better than the old DVD-A.
sorry, my reaction was supposed to
be a 🤯 rather than a 😂

right, i'm gonna switch from CD-4 to Atmos and really go over this American Beauty with a fine tooth comb! 🧐

Steven Wilson just announced on his Facebook page that he has done as done an Atmos mix of American Beauty. It is available now on streaming services. He also says that there is more to come....

Oh....and @Fourplay, I have now posted in a Dead thread. Justice has now been served for the time that I tricked you into posting in a Sting thread. 🤪

Steven Wilson just announced on his Facebook page that he has done as done an Atmos mix of American Beauty. It is available now on streaming services. He also says that there is more to come....
Here's the post:
My Dolby Atmos remix of the Grateful Dead's classic 1970 album American Beauty is now available on streaming services. This is the first release of remixed material from a broader project, also planned to include physical editions, taking in a lot of the Dead’s core catalogue. More news soon...

8D35EF05-3DE0-47AB-AE9E-07723520B39B.jpeg

Warner's Atmos approach is interesting, quite different from their 5.1/DVD-Audio days, no Ken Caillat involved in the Fleetwood Mac Atmos mixes, no Mickey Hart involved (so far, that we know of) in the Grateful Dead Atmos mixes.. i realise none of those guys are spring chickens now and they possibly aren't geared up for Atmos either but it is curious.. maybe they were asked to do the mixing and turned it down or it may just be a total change of direction on Surround music mixing at Warners.. hmm 🤔

Now here’s the question: does core catalogue include… live albums? Live/Dead, Europe 72, etc etc.

Would it even extend to shows?
I believe some of the live albums are considered core, E72 just got a 50th Anniversary spruce up and celebration.

And of course some of the catalogue is live enhanced...

If these are going to be expansive box sets then you would think there would be a substantial amount of live material as extras. Although it's hard to believe that there is much left that hasn't been released yet.

American Beauty mixed by Steven Wilson who posted about it on his FaceBook page and says there is more Grateful Dead to come.... (sorry for the dup, forgot to reload page, I guess).
In a million years, I never would have predicted Steven Wilson would do Atmos mixes of the Grateful Dead. I guess anything’s possible!

Probably not. I'm guessing studio. Weren't most of the live albums taken straight from the boards in stereo by Betty Cantor-Jackson?

Well, according to none other than Rolling Stone, 54 years ago today there was a live version of St. Stephen recorded to "9-track analog tape" at the Fillmore West.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/grateful-dead-graphic-novel-st-stephen-1026284/
https://www.jambase.com/article/grateful-dead-st-stephen-west-coast-debut

1661101170842.png

With apologies and credit to Robert Hunter, a tribute to St. Steven Wilson:

Saint Steven, well he knows
In and out of the vaults he goes
Tapes laying out in the wind and the rain
Whatever he mixes some of us complain

Steven prosper in his time
Well he may, and he may decline
Did it matter, does it now?
Steven would answer if he only knew how

Wish him well with a golden bell
Hope the multis aren't shot to hell
Hell half way twixt now and then

Steven cue them up and mix them down, and mix them down again..

Last edited:
Back