Grateful Dead in Surround (Dolby Atmos mixes of "American Beauty", "Europe '72" & "Workingman's Dead" now streaming!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just listened to the entire album and wow, it has to be one of best Atmos mixes out there. Considering the vintage of the material, it's amazing what he was able to achieve. Not every song is mixed the same way, but the layout is usually drums & bass upfront, lead vocal in the center, main guitars in the sides (electric on left and acoustic on right), piano or organ in the rears, harmony vocals in the front heights, and mandolin in the rear heights. "Attics Of My Life" has a different vocalist in each of the four height speakers. It's also quite a bit more dynamic and better-balanced tonally than the old DVD-A.

Not to completely derail the Greatful News on this thread... but ... there was also a DVD in surround from 89, called "Truckin On Up To Buffalo".
And I would include : Mickey Hart's -DVDA , Best Of /Over The Edge And Back .
Just thought I'd mention those 2 , for @Fourplay , as it's in spirit of this original thread.

Ok , Now back to "The Grateful Dead News" , as per Stephen Wilson ....šŸ˜ƒ

I just listened to the entire album and wow, it has to be one of best Atmos mixes out there. Considering the vintage of the material, it's amazing what he was able to achieve. Not every song is mixed the same way, but the layout is usually drums & bass upfront, lead vocal in the center, main guitars in the sides (electric on left and acoustic on right), piano or organ in the rears, harmony vocals in the front heights, and mandolin in the rear heights. "Attics Of My Life" has a different vocalist in each of the four height speakers. It's also quite a bit more dynamic and better-balanced tonally than the old DVD-A.
As someone who can only hear these Atmos mixes in 5.1or binaurally rendered in Apple Airpod Pros, I am Deadly Grateful for Kind folks who are able and willing to so accurately describe what's in the ceiling speakers.

Thanks, keep up the good work.

Forty-eight summers ago, these were the height speakers I heard from the Dead Wall of Sound in Des Moines.

image.jpeg

I am not sure what it means, but while the Dolby Atmos version of the 'American Beauty' graphic is static on Apple Music, the artwork for the currently lossless version of 'Workingman's Dead' appears to be animated. The animated images of album covers have been chiefly attached to Atmos versions in my recent experience.

I am not sure what it means, but while the Dolby Atmos version of the 'American Beauty' graphic is static on Apple Music, the artwork for the currently lossless version of 'Workingman's Dead' appears to be animated. The animated images of album covers have been chiefly attached to Atmos versions in my recent experience.
Animated album art? As a non-streamer, that's news to me! Not that this will be what converts me. šŸ˜‰

Yeah, itā€™s something that Spotify added a while back that other streamers are slowly copying/adding support for. Labels themselves provide the files for it. It works best on new releases, but select old releases have gotten a ā€œeffectā€. Check out Pet Sounds for an example

It is a recent feature added to Apple Music (well months ago) and has nothing to do with Atmos, just mostly seen on new releases.
Ha! That indicates how many new non-Atmos releases Iā€™ve played in the last 15 months (Van Morrison x2). I was hoping it meant an Atmos version of ā€˜Workingmanā€™s Deadā€™ was imminent.

Yep! Had to raise some awareness of this title, it's that good.
Yes, it is. Bring on the hard copy, or a download that I can play (that probably means in a video format). Here's my list of other Dead albums I would really like to see Mr. Wilson get his hands on in my order of preference:

1. Blues for Allah
2. From the Mars Hotel
3. Workingman's Dead
4. Wake of the Flood

Yes, it is. Bring on the hard copy, or a download that I can play (that probably means in a video format). Here's my list of other Dead albums I would really like to see Mr. Wilson get his hands on in my order of preference:

1. Blues for Allah
2. From the Mars Hotel
3. Workingman's Dead
4. Wake of the Flood
+1 for Blues For Allah.
I can't get enough of that album, going on two years now.

+1 for Blues For Allah.
I can't get enough of that album, going on two years now.
I think of both From the Mars Hotel and Blues for Allah as the Dead's prog albums. FtMH was the first Dead album I really liked and I always thought BfA was a nice follow up. But over the years BfA gradually became the clear favorite.

I think of both From the Mars Hotel and Blues for Allah as the Dead's prog albums.
Blues For Allah I can see, although I think it's more fusion than prog. Mars doesn't track for me, though. It's far more straight-ahead than either Blues or the preceding Wake of the Flood.

Blues For Allah I can see, although I think it's more fusion than prog. Mars doesn't track for me, though. It's far more straight-ahead than either Blues or the preceding Wake of the Flood.
Can't argue too much with that; Wake of the Flood has been an up an comer for me too. But, "Unbroken Chain" and "China Doll" and "Ship of Fools" are all pretty awesome.

Back