Great Record Stores That Are Very Much Alive!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd say the best, and largest, record store I've seen, in recent years, is the Princeton Record Exchange, in New Jersey. Locally, though, Here in Ft. Lauderdale, we have three, albeit small, shops that I check out with some regularity. First, Radio-Active Records, which is on N. Federal Highway, and NW 59th Street, It's tucked away in an alcove in a shopping center on the northwest corner. This store is worth seeking out. They're small, but well-stocked. Every time I go in, I peruse the many racks for whatever quad I can find. They used to separate the quads, but stopped doing that for some reason. Their prices are fair, and they also carry new vinyl, too. There are also sections for 45's and used/new CD's, too. Then, there's We Got The Beats Records. Also on N. Federal Highway, just north of Commercial Boulevard, on the east side. They also have a store on N. University Drive, just north of NW 44th Street, east side, in an alcove in a shopping center. This location specializes more in new vinyl. The Federal Hwy location, though small, packs a lot of stock in a little space. I've found some interesting records there, although there's usually not much quad there. It's still fun to look. The third store, Vinyl Destination, is just off East Sunrise Boulevard, around the corner from the legendary Gateway Theater. Also small, but well-stocked. If you go in, looking for quad, you have to check out all the racks. I asked the owner if he knew of any quad there, and he only knew of one, which he led me to. It was one I already had, but I bought it anyway. This is another store I can't leave without buying at least something. So if you're coming to Ft. Lauderdale, or live in South Florida, here are some good leads for you. Good hunting!

The erstwhile Recycled Records in Reno just moved to a new location. Away from their cramped but atmospheric midtown location (rent was doubled on them) to a roomier but more sterile strip mall location.

IMG_3345.jpeg

Awesome to see recognition for my hometown record store, the Princeton Record Exchange. I grew up on this shop, and have seen it move a few times. Now owned by a high school friend of mine, it is incredible to see a local shop still standing after nearly 50 years. Unfortunately I moved from there a while back and make it a point to get there whenever I visit Princeton, NJ.

Took my daughter to a doctor's appointment yesterday afternoon. We passed this record store on the way. Since her appointment was likely to be about 90 minutes, i told her i'd spend the time at the record store. "You can be in a record store for 90 minutes," she asked. "Heck, yeah!" She bet me i'd leave with 20 records. I only bought 19!
07935356-34C1-4DDA-9E92-CF0DF531C320_1_105_c.jpeg
https://solstarecords.com/
5024CCCA-2DBF-4CD7-BF1A-177B3F8B2892_1_105_c.jpeg
D57157C6-8B2E-44A6-A741-3B5C5834462F_1_105_c.jpeg

Took my daughter to a doctor's appointment yesterday afternoon. We passed this record store on the way. Since her appointment was likely to be about 90 minutes, i told her i'd spend the time at the record store. "You can be in a record store for 90 minutes," she asked. "Heck, yeah!" She bet me i'd leave with 20 records. I only bought 19!
View attachment 105744 https://solstarecords.com/
View attachment 105745 View attachment 105746
Did they have a good selection of quad LP's? The stores, here in Ft. Lauderdale, don't.

No Quad LP section at any of the stores i hit here :(
I haven’t seen a record store with a special quad section for about 50 years. They all seem to be just part of normal inventory, even when there’s an “audiophile” section.

You have to either know what you’re looking for, or realize you have to sift through the stacks (not that that’s a bad thing).

Near me, it's Horizon Records close by and Harvest Records in nearby Asheville NC that are the largest.

I really like Harvest because they have a very small but separate section they label "audiophile" that includes half speed master stuff and quad albums. I've picked up a few good ones from there.

J&R Music World was probably my favorite music (and movie) store in NYC

I was practically in tears when they closed down
We have almost nothing of that nature in New York right now
I like Academy (and stopped in while there) but it's a very different sort of place. I also stopped into Book-Off and the music department was substantially downsized and replaced by anime paraphernalia and the like. I suppose it's what sells.

I like Academy (and stopped in while there) but it's a very different sort of place. I also stopped into Book-Off and the music department was substantially downsized and replaced by anime paraphernalia and the like. I suppose it's what sells.
I was in Los Angeles last week and got to spend some time in Amoeba Music- what a great store. Wish we had anything similar to this in New York

The Amoeba Music stores in Los Angeles and San Francisco are truly "mega stores". Unfortunately, for those of us who do not live near these two metropolises, in my recent experience, record stores that carry a decent amount of SACD's, DVD-Audio, SHM-CD/SACD's are few and far between. The vinyl renaissance (which I am grateful for as it is physical product and a wonderful format for listening and collecting!) has really relegated CD's and other silver disc format(s) to second and even third tier status (a total flip flop from what happened in 1990/91/93). If any member has some suggestions for those of us who live in Northern California, I would greatly appreciate your suggestions.

The Amoeba Music stores in Los Angeles and San Francisco are truly "mega stores". Unfortunately, for those of us who do not live near these two metropolises, in my recent experience, record stores that carry a decent amount of SACD's, DVD-Audio, SHM-CD/SACD's are few and far between. The vinyl renaissance (which I am grateful for as it is physical product and a wonderful format for listening and collecting!) has really relegated CD's and other silver disc format(s) to second and even third tier status (a total flip flop from what happened in 1990/91/93). If any member has some suggestions for those of us who live in Northern California, I would greatly appreciate your suggestions.
I haven’t been there for about 20 years, but when my travels took me to the bay area, I made it a point to shop Rasputin’s in Berkely.

My job involved a lot of travel, so I got to see a lot of things that most folks don’t get the chance to. I always looked for record stores, and Rasputin’s was the best I ever saw.

Thanks for your input. Rasputin's is definitely second fiddle to Amoeba Music these days which is also in Berkeley (the kind folks in the Bay Area hate it when they are mistakenly "attached" to Northern California and vice versa. The last really good record store in Sacramento, CA was the Beat Records and that his been closed for several years...

Back