Grilling, Barbeque/Asado Thread - QQ Style :)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my boy Rockin' the Grill

MY BOY CAN GRILL.jpg

A couple of weeks ago I looked and could not find this thread. Where do these get buried?
Was fixin' to grill up some chicken looking for new ideas.

A couple of weeks ago I looked and could not find this thread. Where do these get buried?
When I want to find repeat threads, while I am on the thread I type in the exact title, and later when I am looking for it, it is easier.

The only thing I can add to this thread is my mom actually won a outdoor BBQ grill back around the early 80s. My dad wouldn't allow my mom to take the prize on the fact that grilling produces Carcinogens. I'm sure there's truth to that, but I always wondered at what amount? I guess anything food that's burnt has carcinogens; but oh well.

The only thing I can add to this thread is my mom actually won a outdoor BBQ grill back around the early 80s. My dad wouldn't allow my mom to take the prize on the fact that grilling produces Carcinogens. I'm sure there's truth to that, but I always wondered at what amount? I guess anything food that's burnt has carcinogens; but oh well.
Good question & something I was curious about too & researched. Two factors is what type of meat & grilling temp. Hot dogs, brats, and red meat are the worst. Hetereocyclic amines are produced when cooked at high temp which are a major concern. It may seem that smoking is going to be risky but it's actually lower in carcinogens because of the lower temp.

I call this "ugly chicken" because the smoke has a tendency to condense on the cold chicken. I solved that problem by adding the wood chips after about 10 minutes.

Ingredients:
1 fresh chicken, 3-4 lbs.
1 fresh lemon
¼ cup olive oil (preferably not extra virgin
1 whole garlic
2 tsp whole basil
2 tsp whole thyme
1 tsp diamond kosher salt
1 tsp brown sugar
¼ tsp fresh ground pepper
1 cup water
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
½ cup fruitwood chips e.g. apple wood

Directions:
Day one:
Mix fruitwood chips, water, garlic powder and onion powder. Cover and let sit
Juice the lemon, save the rind. Finely chop or shred the garlic.
Combine lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, basil, thyme, brown sugar, salt and pepper in a blender and blend until the mixture is smooth.
Brush the chicken with the blended mixture liberally, including the cavity.
Put the reserved lemon rind in the cavity. Put the seasoned chicken in a plastic produce bag, tie the end and refrigerate overnight.

Day two:
Light a covered charcoal grill.
Remove the chicken from the bag. Squeeze out, pastry style, any remaining herb seasoning from the bag and brush over the chicken.
Drain the fruitwood chips and place on well-lit charcoal. Roast the chicken, preferably on a rotisserie with the lid on for 1½ hours or until the hip joints reach 165°.

I call this "ugly chicken" because the smoke has a tendency to condense on the cold chicken. I solved that problem by adding the wood chips after about 10 minutes.

Ingredients:
1 fresh chicken, 3-4 lbs.
1 fresh lemon
¼ cup olive oil (preferably not extra virgin
1 whole garlic
2 tsp whole basil
2 tsp whole thyme
1 tsp diamond kosher salt
1 tsp brown sugar
¼ tsp fresh ground pepper
1 cup water
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
½ cup fruitwood chips e.g. apple wood

Directions:
Day one:
Mix fruitwood chips, water, garlic powder and onion powder. Cover and let sit
Juice the lemon, save the rind. Finely chop or shred the garlic.
Combine lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, basil, thyme, brown sugar, salt and pepper in a blender and blend until the mixture is smooth.
Brush the chicken with the blended mixture liberally, including the cavity.
Put the reserved lemon rind in the cavity. Put the seasoned chicken in a plastic produce bag, tie the end and refrigerate overnight.

Day two:
Light a covered charcoal grill.
Remove the chicken from the bag. Squeeze out, pastry style, any remaining herb seasoning from the bag and brush over the chicken.
Drain the fruitwood chips and place on well-lit charcoal. Roast the chicken, preferably on a rotisserie with the lid on for 1½ hours or until the hip joints reach 165°.
That's quite a project you've listed! Has given me some ideas...

Why not "extra virgin" olive oil though? (since that's what I have in stock)

Never heard of putting the wood chips in the marinade either. Interesting...

I have hickory, mesquite, pecan, apple and cherry chunks, not chips, on-hand.

That's quite a project you've listed! Has given me some ideas...

Why not "extra virgin" olive oil though? (since that's what I have in stock)

Never heard of putting the wood chips in the marinade either. Interesting...

I have hickory, mesquite, pecan, apple and cherry chunks, not chips, on-hand.
The less refined olive oil has a stronger taste, or so I’ve been told. The wood chips don’t go in the marinade! they are a separate mix, to be spread on the fire once it’s well lit (and once the chivken has warmed up a bit).

Depending on the size of the ‘chunks,’ they should be fine. The idea is to soak them and the onion and garlic so they don’t flame up in the grill and burn out quickly. It will definitely smoke for a while, but the chicken is scrumptious.

The first day prep takes about half an hour, so it’s not all that big a project, but it does seem to dirty every utensil in my kitchen.

The less refined olive oil has a stronger taste, or so I’ve been told. The wood chips don’t go in the marinade! they are a separate mix, to be spread on the fire once it’s well lit (and once the chivken has warmed up a bit).

Depending on the size of the ‘chunks,’ they should be fine. The idea is to soak them and the onion and garlic so they don’t flame up in the grill and burn out quickly. It will definitely smoke for a while, but the chicken is scrumptious.

The first day prep takes about half an hour, so it’s not all that big a project, but it does seem to dirty every utensil in my kitchen.
Yeah, EVOO (which is all I ever buy) is the cream of the crop. Yes, it's less refined, or really, it is NOT refined at all. Cold pressing, so no heat involved which can kill some nutrients and flavor. I don't think I've ever bought regular Virgin Olive Oil. Not to go on a tangent, but I much prefer EVOO because it actually does have flavor. I use it for nearly all frying (well, except chicken or fish I guess). Eggs, potatoes, browning beef, steak, on and on.

But, I'm guessing Virgin OO is much cheaper than EVOO, though again, I've never bought it so not sure. Yesterday I did actually slow cook a whole chicken on my weber and it was amazing. Nothing fancy at all. I brined the chicken in a concoction of ingredients that I don't even remember what all they were. Then, smoked it indirectly for several hours and it was simply full of juice at the end. Good stuff! Had some sizeable baked potatoes on the grill too. I rub them down with EVOO before sprinking them with kosher salt and pepper before foiling them.

Yeah, EVOO (which is all I ever buy) is the cream of the crop. Yes, it's less refined, or really, it is NOT refined at all. Cold pressing, so no heat involved which can kill some nutrients and flavor. I don't think I've ever bought regular Virgin Olive Oil. Not to go on a tangent, but I much prefer EVOO because it actually does have flavor. I use it for nearly all frying (well, except chicken or fish I guess). Eggs, potatoes, browning beef, steak, on and on.

But, I'm guessing Virgin OO is much cheaper than EVOO, though again, I've never bought it so not sure. Yesterday I did actually slow cook a whole chicken on my weber and it was amazing. Nothing fancy at all. I brined the chicken in a concoction of ingredients that I don't even remember what all they were. Then, smoked it indirectly for several hours and it was simply full of juice at the end. Good stuff! Had some sizeable baked potatoes on the grill too. I rub them down with EVOO before sprinking them with kosher salt and pepper before foiling them.
There’s something to be said for following the recipe, and there’s something else to be said for going it on your own. As noted, I modified the time I add the wood chips. YMMV, of course.

Yesterday my older son in law alerted me to the latest trendy cut of meat he was going to be cooking yesterday (I was not invited ). It's a giant chunk o' meat, a whole beef shank called Thor's Hammer.

Before:
1658764038377.png

After:
1658764105026.png

Has anyone here tried this yet? There's plenty of stuff on the net about how to cook but this particular QQ topic is my go to for grilling & smoking. I'm sure this cut would be very expensive... I can afford to buy it but I can't afford to waste it. So if someone has tried it or is planning to I would sure like to hear the details!

Yesterday my older son in law alerted me to the latest trendy cut of meat he was going to be cooking yesterday (I was not invited ). It's a giant chunk o' meat, a whole beef shank called Thor's Hammer.

Before:
View attachment 81573

After:
View attachment 81574

Has anyone here tried this yet? There's plenty of stuff on the net about how to cook but this particular QQ topic is my go to for grilling & smoking. I'm sure this cut would be very expensive... I can afford to buy it but I can't afford to waste it. So if someone has tried it or is planning to I would sure like to hear the details!
Hey SW, I love the name man "Thor's Hammer"

Looks like there'd be some real tasty bone marrow digging opportunities as well 🍖

Love my pellet grill. Put the turkey in at 10am and set the temp.

Then my wife and I went for a nice motorcycle ride to the beach, swam, and napped in the shade of a tree. Came home finished up some yard work. Then finally turned my attention to finishing the bird with the feast with family at 6pm.

8 hours on the smoke. Sometimes life is good.

turkey.jpg

Back