HiRez Poll Guns N' Roses - APPETITE FOR DESTRUCTION [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Guns N' Roses - APPETITE FOR DESTRUCTION

• Total voters
First impression is that Jungle, Brownstone and Paradise City are all pretty killer. Sweet Child too, I guess.
One thing I don't love is the quite noticeable backing off of the kick drum from Paradise City to Michelle. Not sure if this is a stylistic choice, due to song types, source material, etc. I'll have to give the stereo a spin in a few spots. Still, from PC to Michelle, I sat atop one of my subs and it simply had less work to do once the drums come in for the latter. Anyone else confirm or refute this?

Anybody have a few waveforms we can look at? I'd like to see if Michelle is light on bass or if I should investigate my system setup.
Also, can others just listen to Michelle, following Paradise City and let me know what is heard? Does Michelle sound light on bass or just fine.
Thanks!

Anybody have a few waveforms we can look at? I'd like to see if Michelle is light on bass or if I should investigate my system setup.
Also, can others just listen to Michelle, following Paradise City and let me know what is heard? Does Michelle sound light on bass or just fine.
Thanks!

"My Michelle"
Screen Shot 2018-11-27 at 2.23.15 PM.png

"Paradise City"
Screen Shot 2018-11-27 at 2.24.39 PM.png

Also, I posted "Sweet Child" and "Welcome To The Jungle" waveforms here back when this came out.

Last edited:
Thanks!
You are right Baggy. Michelle is light on bass. I was pretty disappointed.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the confirmation a&c. SJ, thanks for the waveforms. Is there any discussion in that [massive] thread on Michelle and/or any other songs being light on kick?

Not that I recall. The first couple pages are just speculation about if the upcoming box would include a surround mix and who's doing it, then there's a lot of price and shipping discussion, and the last couple pages are thoughts on the mix mostly repeated here in the poll.

There's some interesting discussion about the surround mix being much drier than the old stereo- personally nothing stood out to me, but I tend to fixate more on the surround mixing choices than EQ or fidelity.

So, there is a shocking lack of low bass during both Michelle and Think About You.
Satisfying bass is present on all other tracks.
I ran two tests: first I inverted the phase of my subs. No change. Then, I boosted my subs incrementally, until reaching 10+ db.
Finally, the bass sounded and felt consistent with the other tracks (if perhaps a tiny bit indistinct), for both Michelle and Think About You.
Anyone wish to refute or confirm?
Thanks!

Was listening to this when I red your post.You are right,both tracks seem to lack deep bass:mad:.Tried both DTS and Dolby,sounded the same.Easy to hear when Sweet Child kicks in as the next song:phones

Was listening to this when I red your post.You are right,both tracks seem to lack deep bass:mad:.Tried both DTS and Dolby,sounded the same.Easy to hear when Sweet Child kicks in as the next song:phones
Yeah, sucks. At least a boost of the subs yielded a satisfying listen, for me. It's like, the information is there. It just got turned down in the mix and never readjusted?
Any other observations?

Wow, in examining the wav forms of Paradise City and Michelle, and listening to channels from each solo'ed, I can tell you that copious kick drum is mixed in to the fronts, center and LFE for Paradise city, whereas for Michelle it is buried on all four (no kick of which to speak in the surrounds for either).

When you crank the bass on Michelle, you're mostly hearing more bass guitar attack, which thankfully is very on point. Way to go, Duff!

There is kick drum on Michelle, but it is so much lower than the snare (around 3db per channel, on average), that when you multiply that across 4 channels, you get why it's overpowered by at least 10 db.

So, there is a shocking lack of low bass during both Michelle and Think About You.
Satisfying bass is present on all other tracks.
I ran two tests: first I inverted the phase of my subs. No change. Then, I boosted my subs incrementally, until reaching 10+ db.
Finally, the bass sounded and felt consistent with the other tracks (if perhaps a tiny bit indistinct), for both Michelle and Think About You.
Anyone wish to refute or confirm?
Thanks!

I just received this box set a few days ago.

I would like to comment first on the bass of the Stereo 96kHz 24Bit. The bass is noticeably on the fat side. It is neither rich or deep. I would term the definition adequate for support of the bottom end.

On the 5.1 mix, the bass is very slightly on the thinner side. However, the bass runs across the front and centre channels with a cleaner, more detailed sound than the Stereo. The result, as I hear it, is bass slightly recessed in the mix. I assume it is a mixing decision from Elliot Scheiner. I increased my subwoofer by +3db to enhance the bass tone.

One other comment on the bass sound. The last track, "Rocket Queen", commences with a tight bass line that is notable and extends throughout the song. It sounds superb (it was recorded this way and similarly plays the same on the Stereo version).

Although Axel Rose's vocals form a vital component of the recordings, the high point is the twin guitars work from Slash and Izzy Stradlin. And Scheiner perfectly captures this inter-play in the 5.1 mix. Scheiner's mix is refined with strategic placement of the guitars through subtle movements with no sense of gimmickry. Overall, an exceptional mix from my point of view.

The fidelity in 5.1 surround is excellent and the clarity is top-notch. With this clarity, I do have to comment on Axl Rose's vocals. I am not a fan of his growling and, at times, high-pitched (screeching) vocal style. At almost 54 minutes in length, I need a break halfway through the album. Obviously a personal preference as I must take this approach to enjoy a solid album with some great songs.

Last edited:
Not sure what your looking for Bags. These two tracks are immersive but not discrete, except both tunes have a left cowbell rear discrete, maybe a little boring? From a discrete point of view, BUT you have to figure what the mixer had to work with. Now I am on Sweet Child Of Mine and definitely better.
Is that what you are asking?

Back