Help A Snood get into King Crimson 5.1 .................... Don't laugh 8P

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ordered all these............Court, Red, Larks, Discipline ,Lizard.............looking forward to Lizard just for the experimental jazz weirdness, but will check out the others first.

Sounds like turn the lights off, get a rum a coke and light up......................................................some candles :banana: :rolleyes:

Ha got ya:spot

Ordered all these............Court, Red, Larks, Discipline ,Lizard.............looking forward to Lizard just for the experimental jazz weirdness, but will check out the others first.

My humble advice would be to give Discipline a go during the day and Islands a spin in the evening several times a week. Being new to KC myself I've grown to need both of these and am now slowly working on a similar addiction to Red and Court.

We need some old farts in this thread who go back to their first KC experience in 1969, so here I is...:smokin

Well, it's like this...CRIMSON KING was their first and, like your first sex, you always remember it with a special fondness (hopefully). It was new and something really different, I guess what became 'prog rock' but to me a concept album filled with sounds and ideas and--heh--equal does of bombast and noise, and a certain beauty and quietude. Oh yeah, and adventurous. KC would, thanks to Mr. Fripp, always be like that, but the next few albums, for me, lacked focus and the magic of that debut. As the band changed personnel and moved on to more jazz and improv and even weirder stuff, well...I think it helped to hear them in order of release. Some are solid, some erratic; but there's some great stuff scattered throughout their career.

That said, I'm not I'd start with any kind of compilation--that's a lot of variations and shifts in approach to digest at once. On the other hand, starting with CRIMSON KING can spoil you a little if you get to love it (as many of us did back in those days of bad psych/prog everywhere, filled with second-rate musicians and scattershot, half-arsed ideas), because it's unique to their catalog. Once you get into LARKS, RED, ISLANDS, you may find you want to investigate some real experimental jazz (remember these guys never forgot what rock was for, they just couldn't be limited to it) and get totally juiced and wigged. Which is great if you're up to it (and at my age the 'old new' that I've never heard is mainly what I care about, I know the old stuff only too well and try not to be too nostalgic about it anymore).

Go git stoned, Snood!! :smokin:banana::mad:@::friday::friday:

ED :)

Sounds like turn the lights off, get a rum a coke and light up......................................................some candles :banana: :rolleyes:

Ha got ya:spot

That's not a bad idea, just don't get TOO wasted, you want to remember your first impressions, but only with a strong buzz, heh....:)

My favorite of choice back when I could indulge. Not to everyone's fancy, but pungent, you know it's going to kick your ass:

Myers Rum A.jpg

Oh yeah, regular ice, no crushed nonsense...

Hi my friend, :)

First of all KC is not easy access, kinda like the first three Gentle Giant records. YES had bubblegum sweet harmonies and lyrical hooks meant to soothe to go along with
the musical virtuosity, ELP had Greg Lake's butter smooth tenor to go with tried & true classical arranging.

KC has abrasion, abruptness with little vocal harmonies to go with the musicial vituosity. You mentioned "An Observation". That was the end of
KC working with smooth vocal lines or harmonies.

My point is KC is not for everyone just like Gentle Giant isn't for everybody.

I do enjoy KC but not at the level that I consume ELP - YES - Genesis - Renaissance, etc...

To start, I would stick exclusively to Steven Wilson's KC 5.1 mixes. KC was a totally different band with each recording, so who knows what may suit your fancy?

Also, Adrian Belew has a stunning & clear rich voice. So the Belew era is good if you enjoy smooth vocals.

I'm now eagerly awaiting the "Help A Dennis Moore get into XTC" thread :mad:@::friday:!!!

I'm now eagerly awaiting the "Help A Dennis Moore get into XTC" thread :mad:@::friday:!!!

Well he definitely should start with "Nonsuch" since it's already available in 5.1, followed by the upcoming "Drums & Wires" 5.1 remix.
I will continue on once a thread is actually started... ;)

Personally, if I was introducing someone to XTC I would do it somewhat chronologically starting with This Is Pop->Drums & Wires->Black Sea etc.
Great way to experience the changes in the band like we did back in the day.

Personally, if I was introducing someone to XTC I would do it somewhat chronologically starting with This Is Pop->Drums & Wires->Black Sea etc.
Great way to experience the changes in the band like we did back in the day.

After listening to every XTC album from D&W to Nonsuch, my favorites are English Settlement, Black Sea, and Skylarking, followed by Nonsuch and D&W.
Mummer, The Big Express, and Oranges & Lemons all have great tracks on them, but they fall lower on the list for me.

That's not a bad idea, just don't get TOO wasted, you want to remember your first impressions, but only with a strong buzz, heh....:)

My favorite of choice back when I could indulge. Not to everyone's fancy, but pungent, you know it's going to kick your ass:

View attachment 14889

Oh yeah, regular ice, no crushed nonsense...

Snood remember drinking that toooooo way back, not sure if seen it in awhile tho hmmmmm :banana:

We need some old farts in this thread who go back to their first KC experience in 1969, so here I is...:smokin

Well, it's like this...CRIMSON KING was their first and, like your first sex, you always remember it with a special fondness (hopefully). It was new and something really different, I guess what became 'prog rock' but to me a concept album filled with sounds and ideas and--heh--equal does of bombast and noise, and a certain beauty and quietude. Oh yeah, and adventurous. KC would, thanks to Mr. Fripp, always be like that, but the next few albums, for me, lacked focus and the magic of that debut. As the band changed personnel and moved on to more jazz and improv and even weirder stuff, well...I think it helped to hear them in order of release. Some are solid, some erratic; but there's some great stuff scattered throughout their career.

That said, I'm not I'd start with any kind of compilation--that's a lot of variations and shifts in approach to digest at once. On the other hand, starting with CRIMSON KING can spoil you a little if you get to love it (as many of us did back in those days of bad psych/prog everywhere, filled with second-rate musicians and scattershot, half-arsed ideas), because it's unique to their catalog. Once you get into LARKS, RED, ISLANDS, you may find you want to investigate some real experimental jazz (remember these guys never forgot what rock was for, they just couldn't be limited to it) and get totally juiced and wigged. Which is great if you're up to it (and at my age the 'old new' that I've never heard is mainly what I care about, I know the old stuff only too well and try not to be too nostalgic about it anymore).

Go git stoned, Snood!! :smokin:banana::mad:@::friday::friday:

Snood will do tonight.............Oooooooooooooooh you meant with KC spinning - KC not here yet but might take ur suggestion tonight anyways listening to new Marley :51banana:

Snood will do tonight.............Oooooooooooooooh you meant with KC spinning - KC not here yet but might take ur suggestion tonight anyways listening to new Marley :51banana:

I advised in a PM the "substance" use of the era, and how it brought me to KC. The 1st of course the Court of the C king album. I had this on vinyl and always had a copy around. Funny how I never really liked it until the 'experience" I had that night. I came home from the Army in 69-chased long hairs and picked on them, until a few weeks later when I became one.

Back