Help with network set-up for for multi-ch playback from pc to network device?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EggShenBS

I'm trying to help my dad set-up for playback of quad files from his pc to his home theater set-up. The issue is that they are on opposite sides of the house, so it isn't possible to do over HDMI.

He's running Windows 10.
He's got a Marantz SR 5010
A samsung blu-ray player (4-5 years old)
A Roku Ultra.

Is there a network set-up that works with what he has on hand? I'm guessing the Marantz wants HDMI for multi-channel, and likely won't process multi-channel files over DLNA media-server ether-net without down sampling to two channel. (But that's just a guess) If the signal gets sent from a roku or blu-ray with the right app through HDMI maybe that would work? Any help is appreciated, and if this isn't the correct forum for this question I'll move the post if you can point me to the right place.

Thanks!

Last edited:
If you can run wire from PC to marantz you can use hdmi to a transmit balun to cat 5 cable and at the marantz cat 5 to receive balun to hdmi to marantz. Atlona and zektor make hdmi baluns.
Or use an old laptop at the marantz location which accesses files on your network

I'm trying to help my dad set-up for playback of quad files from his pc to his home theater set-up. The issue is that they are on opposite sides of the house, so it isn't possible to do over HDMI.

He's running Windows 10.
A Roku Ultra.

Is there a network set-up that works with what he has on hand? I'm guessing the Marantz wants HDMI for multi-channel, and likely won't process multi-channel files over DLNA media-server ether-net without down sampling to two channel. (But that's just a guess) If the signal gets sent from a roku or blu-ray with the right app through HDMI maybe that would work? Any help is appreciated, and if this isn't the correct forum for this question I'll move the post if you can point me to the right place.

Thanks!
Welcome to the QQ forum @EggShenBS !

If you can run wire from PC to marantz you can use hdmi to a transmit balun to cat 5 cable and at the marantz cat 5 to receive balun to hdmi to marantz. Atlona and zektor make hdmi baluns.
Or use an old laptop at the marantz location which accesses files on your network
Can't run a cable through the house at this time. If I'm looking at it right, the balun set-up needs both a transmitter to convert HDMI from the computer to cat5 data, and then a receiver to that specific cat5 cable to convert and send back to HDMI. He couldn't simply get just a receiver dongle and convert what the computer is sending over the network,...he'd need the computer to first send it out through an HDMI port to the transmitter, right?

He does have an old laptop that may have an HDMI port, so I can pursue that with him and then look into the balun option when things aren't so crazy. Thanks for the help!
I think that is the best way to go. Just share the music drive on the network and use grove music that comes with windows. If he needs to playback SACD dsf files Jriver or foobar can play those

He's running Windows 10.
A Roku Ultra.

Thanks!
2 ideas:
a. MoCA if there is coax/cable wiring common to the two rooms. I've used this successfully.
b. Ethernet over Powerline. This works less well but requires only that the two rooms be on the same distribution box.

Back