"He's dead, Jim" (Leonard Nimoy, RIP)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003

Attachments

• Spock LP.jpg
    Spock LP.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 148
He WAS star trek IMO...he was so unique in his role...I'm glad he learned to embrace his character and the series as the years went by...more about him HERE

Just as "let the force be with you" was the pivotal Star Wars statement..."live long and prosper" was the same for Star Trek...

As a young adult of 31, I followed this guy's advice on child rearing, and concluded that he wasn't such an expert. Still, Dr. Spock sold millions of books on the subject to our generation, as well as our parents. Go figure! Enterprise, indeed!

I was so glad he came back for the 2009 Star Trek movie...there was a time in his life when he tried to distance himself from the Star Trek series and his character..he seems to have lived a full life...I think my movie selection tonight will be one of the Star Trek blu rays...get that popcorn ready..

As a young adult of 31, I followed this guy's advice on child rearing, and concluded that he wasn't such an expert. Still, Dr. Spock sold millions of books on the subject to our generation, as well as our parents. Go figure! Enterprise, indeed!

Evidently he was playing Dr with Uhuru.

I tend to think you are kiddin' Quad Linda. Dr. Spock (who ended up in prison for a time) and Mr. (Comander) Spock were two different people [thank God].

I worked for the local promoter that brought the VINCENT tour into town. While I was out to lunch, my assistant, Jane, sat at my desk and doodled on a flyer of the show. She added “Spock” ears to Nimoy’s head. When I returned from lunch, Nimoy was standing at my desk holding the flyer. All I could honestly say was that I had been out of the office and I didn’t do it.

My sister and I must have loved Star Trek--more her than me, as I remember--because it was the only TV show our parents let us stay up to watch. I also remember my sister--and unusually, not myself--owning copies of Nimoy's Dot albums, which included (among other atrocities) the legendarily bad "The Ballad of Bilbo Baggins" (easy to find on YouTube) and the chart single "A Visit to a Sad Planet." Now, how an actor not known for his singing got a record contract? Well, it might have had something to do with Star Trek being filed by Desilu, which was owned by Paramount, which in turn also owned the Dot label (making one wonder how William Shatner wound up on Decca and Nichelle Nichols to Epic). Dot also signed Mission: Impossible's Greg Morris, who put out one album, and of course Leonard turned up on that show after ST was done.

Why we remember him fondly we can also thank ST's various writers for, but it took a good actor to take what could have been a freaky role and bring, well, humanity and (yes!) logic to him. The half-human, half-Vulcan also reminded us of our own mixed heritage, something lost amidst all the violence and meanness of the world. Spock was a unique character for television in that he had genuine depth, more going on than seen on the surface. A once-in-a-lifetime role that made him famous and typecast him in many ways, but perhaps that's because there was more Nimoy in Spock than the man cared to admit, that he really did create one of those fictional creatures whom, like Sherlock Holmes, King Arthur, and a few others, really sink in and tell us about a potential most of us never come close to reaching--for better and worse.

RIP.

ED

Yeah - I have such fond memories of staying up on Sunday nights to watch Star Trek....I absolutely LOVED the show. For me, such a slice of my childhood that is dear to me. Loved the character Spock....

RIP Leonard Nimoy! You are cherished......

Back