High Current Amp/Pre-amp recommendation needed - Power for Infinity Kappa 9 pair

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, you will have to clip the wires. The schematic indicated StaKon connectors but maybe that was a different release of the speakers.
If the rear ones work you could move them around to the front. I wouldn't replace them on the back. If you don't want to cut the wires but you can reach the solder or contact points (probably insulated) you could try tapping them with the VOM. If the problem is a broken wire in or connection in the crossover but the driver is still good it will click a little. You can use a nine volt battery too which will make it click louder. Don't leave it connected. Just tap it. If you get no clicks then unwire it and try again which won't probably change anything. If no clicks (or hook it directly to the jolida and keep the volume low) when unhooked you will need to rebuild , repair or replace the driver. Also don't leave the VOM connected for a long time. Touch , read and release. The vom has a battery in it and flows a small amount of current. Try the different resistance ranges. If you get a click it should vary the volume.

If you have the Jolida , the Crown and an Adcom you could tri amp them using a one of those Dayton DSPs. It would involve clipping very few connections but you could leave most of the crossover. You would pick (probably the biggest amp) for the two woofers. Cross them at 80-100 Hz.
Drive the next two drivers with another amp. And finally probably with the Jolida the super tweeter , tweeter and if you have enough drivers the rear tweeters. You would set the Dayton for a little bit wider bandwidth so that the internal crossovers could still work but not so wide as to waste the benefits of tri amping. It would kick ass. If you leave the rear tweeters off disconnect at the RDE 050 thermal gadget. This would greatly reduce the impedance gyrations and make life much easier for the power amps. Among other advantages.

I finally looked up a picture of Kappa 9s. They look a lot like my speakers which were designed about ten years earlier. Even if you have to replace some drivers they are nice boxes. And big boxes make big sound all other things being equal. Even if you had to replace all the drivers it would be a worthwhile project.

The diodes are easy to get. The drivers are what will would be more of a trick. Edit: Lots of traffic in various EMITs on fleab. and yes magicmarksy DOES rebuild them. He asks about $113. Diaphragms are available too. You would want to make sure their characteristics are very similar to the old ones. If you see a break in the trace you can paint it with silver circuit board paint to jump the opening.
https://www.chemtronics.com/circuitworks-conductive-pens-and-inks

Last edited:
I think I need to take the low woofer out to see the board, breakers and such. Kind of a bummer, but oh well!

The connections for the tweets are uninsulated. So I assume I can touch my VOM there. I'll give it a try when I have time. The rear Emits do work, in case I didn't state that before.
It's only the front Emits that are silent. I have around 1/2 dozen browser tabs open that I need to study up on. The problem could be breakers, diodes, fuses, blown tweets. It's interesting that it's the same situation on both speaker sets. Like, what happened?

I think I need to take the low woofer out to see the board, breakers and such. Kind of a bummer, but oh well!

The connections for the tweets are uninsulated. So I assume I can touch my VOM there. I'll give it a try when I have time. The rear Emits do work, in case I didn't state that before.
It's only the front Emits that are silent. I have around 1/2 dozen browser tabs open that I need to study up on. The problem could be breakers, diodes, fuses, blown tweets. It's interesting that it's the same situation on both speaker sets. Like, what happened?
Quite the project, eh?
Even if the tweet connections are uninsulated you still need to temporarily un- hook at least one of the wires. This will break the connection to the xover. Otherwise you will be measuring the voice coil resistance in parrallel with the xover components.

I went throuh this a few months ago with a friends JBL tweeter. DC resistance measured about 3 ohms. Yous might be a bit different. Main thing is to check for complete short or open VC.

The breaker is only on the rear tweet. The front tweeter and super tweeter are fused. Did you find and check the fuses. Hopefully the fuses protected the tweeter and not the other way around. Which sometimes happens.

It could be that a previous owner habitually over drove them which could do any of the above. Because of their age it could be that they just have age related annoyances as many pieces of gear do.

Are the super tweets also silent? You can touch your vom to the uninsulated tabs, but you probably ought to test the EMITs unhooked because a short in the crossover network (for example shorted diodes) could make the click so little as to be inaudible.

The Semits are working. It's only the front Emits that are silent.

"Unhooking" means cutting. The wires are soldered directly to the + and - terminals on the tweets. If I cut them, I'm not sure what all I'll have to do to properly reconnect them. Maybe a splice would be easiest. There is plenty of wire.

In any case, checking fuses might be the easiest thing. If I can find them!

The Semits are working. It's only the front Emits that are silent.

"Unhooking" means cutting. The wires are soldered directly to the + and - terminals on the tweets. If I cut them, I'm not sure what all I'll have to do to properly reconnect them. Maybe a splice would be easiest. There is plenty of wire.

In any case, checking fuses might be the easiest thing. If I can find them!
Cut just 1 of the tweet wires. Test. There will probably be enough slack in the wire you just strip some insulation , twist wires & put a wire cap on.

If the fronts are bad but the rear ones work, and you don't care much for the rear tweets, me thinks you could just switch them.

Re: the Crown D150A: its power cord is super short. Like, it doesn't even reach the floor, as it's sitting almost 4' up.
If I find a short extension cord of the right gauge is that acceptible or are extension cords for permanent use always a no-no?

Re: the Crown D150A: its power cord is super short. Like, it doesn't even reach the floor, as it's sitting almost 4' up.
If I find a short extension cord of the right gauge is that acceptible or are extension cords for permanent use always a no-no?
The trick would be to use a short heavy duty cord:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Fellowes-I...rong-Plug-1-Outlet-9ft-Length-Gray/1002781160
I have used one like this even for window AC units. If there's a chance to come unplugged a bit of electrical tape around the connection fixes that.

Sigh, giving up for the night. I'll live to fight another day. Before cutting the tweeter wires (because they're very solidly soldered and unsoldering is not recommended), I want to check the tweeter fuses.
On some site I read at some point, it was said that the pertinent electronics are behind the lower woofer. So, I removed the lower woofer and I found this board. The side of the board I can see does not appear to have any fuses. I wonder if they are possibly on the other side or if there is another board or other electronics located elsewhere.
I have found a schematic, but it's just an electronic line diagram -- doesn't really help determining where they might have hidden stuff.
Btw, sort of on the other side of that board is the location of the tone pots and wire lugs.
Any help, advice or banter would be highly appreciated.
kappa-board.jpg

Ugh. Found a pretty good thread on audio karma. The "fuses" (polyswitches) are on the other side of that board. Some call the set up a "clamshell crossover".
I'll try a battery test on the tweets tomorrow.

You need to find the screws and let that board out into the light of day. Definitely don't clip anything you weren't going to clip until you test those fuses.
The schematic you posted only showed a thermal switch on the rear tweeter. But these things can vary over time with revision numbers. Your schematic might not match your actual speaker.
Since the zener diode protection is at 7.5 volts a nine volt battery should give you a nice audible click.

You need to find the screws and let that board out into the light of day. Definitely don't clip anything you weren't going to clip until you test those fuses.
The schematic you posted only showed a thermal switch on the rear tweeter. But these things can vary over time with revision numbers. Your schematic might not match your actual speaker.
Since the zener diode protection is at 7.5 volts a nine volt battery should give you a nice audible click.
It looks like it's secured with white plastic prongs. I wonder if I free it up, if it can come out of the enclosure without cutting all the wiring.
I've been reading that a speaker test can be performed with the speaker still attached. Might be worth a shot first.

If the xo's have to come out, one or more of your modifications might be feasible. Though, I believe I have secured suitable amps to drive the original design.
What would be the easiest one or two things I could do, assuming I could figure it out and have the skills (both of which might not be true)?

The Emits (tweeters) pass the battery test.

Next thing is to jumper the poly switches. Here's a problem: I'm finding it impossible (so far) to disassemble the crossover enough to get to the poly switches.
There are 6 white plastic prongs (I've tried needle nose pliering them to free up the board), plus the rear controls (I think I've freed up all the washers and such that I can - not sure how the speaker posts will come loose), and finally gobs of glue in certain spots that might be causing trouble. I don't want to break this thing.

Even if I can get this "clamshell" design loose, it appears that some of the soldered wiring is very short, so there might not be much room to place the poly switches.
Is it possible they can be reset somehow?

To even do a jumper test, I have to try to remove gobs of glue. Grrrr...

This thread is reminding me how much I miss my local speaker builder/repair shop. He was in business for over three decades but closed down about a decade ago due to health issues. It was called Speaker World, located in Pinellas Park, Florida. Russ was THE man.

Back