[hiresaudiocentral.com] Geddy Lee Wants Steven Wilson to Mix Rush Catalog in 5.1 (Mettler interview)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DennisMoore Jr.

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
http://hiresaudiocentral.com/geddy-lee-wants-steven-wilson-to-mix-rush-catalog-in-5-1/

I know we chatted a bit about this, but here is the article from November 23, 2015.

Mettler: Steven Wilson has expressed interest to me personally about wanting to remix Rush albums in 5.1 himself.

Lee: That’s fantastic! Yeah, we’d love to get him to do that for us.

The article title is certainly an embellishment but I wonder what is happening on this since last November. Getting Hemispheres in 5.1 would be a dream come true. I also love Power Windows and that screams for 5.1.

I know some of the Rush purists knock their 80's output, but a lot of that stuff would be great for surround. With all of Geddy's keys and Neil's electronic percussion, they were adding a lot more layers to their sound. Hold Your Fire and Grace Under Pressure could be killer in surround if mixed by someone like Steven Wilson.

EDIT: Ooooh! And that was my 300th post. I'm in the club!

:51banana:

You guys are killing me. I mean, if Wilson did manage to get the job.....we really just need the whole damn catalog. Why pick and choose? I would shave off my left nut (figuratively speaking...) to get all albums through Moving Pictures..... All the newer ones would just be icing on the cake. :)

Must resist not getting overly excited... Shit give me! Best band in the world getting SW treatment!

I would buy them all over again, the few surround mixes we got were only average. Would love for SW to mix them.

DMJ, I'm glad that you willingly admit that the title of that article is certainly an embellishment, because I'm not about to believe that we're now going to get Steven Wilson remixes of RUSH albums in surround sound because of one Mike Mettler interview. (He has a tendency to over sensationalize almost everything related to surround sound to a fault, even to go as far as praising the surround mixes on "1+", which were certainly a mixed bag, and that's putting it politely.)

"Hemispheres" and "Permanent Waves" certainly won't happen because of missing tapes (maybe "Caress of Steel" is also in that position too), but then of course, the issue of personal tastes on the part of SW can also possibly prevent him from mixing any of their other albums in surround, so if all we're going to get are more surround mixes of the same 5 albums, then I would much rather SW spend more time not only remixing other albums that have yet to be mixed in surround but also creating more great original music that continues to benefit the surround medium.

Ymmv… ;)

"Hemispheres" and "Permanent Waves" certainly won't happen because of missing tapes (maybe "Caress of Steel" is also in that position too), but then of course, the issue of personal tastes on the part of SW can also possibly prevent him from mixing any of their other albums in surround, so if all we're going to get are more surround mixes of the same 5 albums, then I would much rather SW spend more time not only remixing other albums that have yet to be mixed in surround but also creating more great original music that continues to benefit the surround medium.

Yeah, we all follow the missing tapes saga, but I hold out hope that they will turn up. Analog tape archiving was hardly an exact science and stranger things have happened(like some fan possessing Deep Purple masters for decades then returning them!) Even without Hemispheres & PW, there is Grace Under Pressure & Power Windows and I would love to have 2112 without it being buried in reverb like the 5.1 remix was. Plus Steven would really enjoy remixing RUSH since it would be a much easier remix(much less orchestration & different tracks)than a YES or ELP. (y)

Yeah, we all follow the missing tapes saga, but I hold out hope that they will turn up. Analog tape archiving was hardly an exact science and stranger things have happened(like some fan possessing Deep Purple masters for decades then returning them!) Even without Hemispheres & PW, there is Grace Under Pressure & Power Windows and I would love to have 2112 without it being buried in reverb like the 5.1 remix was. Plus Steven would really enjoy remixing RUSH since it would be a much easier remix(much less orchestration & different tracks)than a YES or ELP. (y)

Yes, I agree in that if there are any albums from RUSH I would love to hear in surround (besides the current 70s albums with missing tapes) it would be "Grace Under Pressure", "Power Windows", and "Counterparts" (although it would also be nice if someone found a way to remix "Hold Your Fire", "Presto", and "Roll the Bones" so they didn't sound so thin).
Plus you say RUSH remixes would be easier for SW due to less orchestration and different tracks, and while that might be true for stereo, I think it's the exact opposite for surround, in that the simpler instrumentation makes it a lot more difficult to spread out the sounds to more channels without losing the power and cohesiveness that RUSH are known for. Obviously it gets a little easier as you move along through RUSH's discography and they add more synthesizers into their sound, but the earlier the album is, the more difficult I think it gets to create an immersive, yet cohesive surround mix.

DMJ, I'm glad that you willingly admit that the title of that article is certainly an embellishment, because I'm not about to believe that we're now going to get Steven Wilson remixes of RUSH albums in surround sound because of one Mike Mettler interview. (He has a tendency to over sensationalize almost everything related to surround sound to a fault, even to go as far as praising the surround mixes on "1+", which were certainly a mixed bag, and that's putting it politely.)

Ymmv… ;)

That's your opinion, and that's fine... For me, it's real simple. If they're all in agreement to do them, then I'll buy as many as they'll release. When it comes to the Rich Chycki mixes, I'd think of it as similar to Steven Wilson remixing Fragile. It would be correcting an existing wrong. I'd rather have them than not have them - for the time being - but I think they're marginal compared to what could be done with those albums. And I would like a lot of the albums that came after Moving Pictures.

I would tend to agree with RT's assessment that the article which is now about 7 months old was more of a "yeah, wouldn't that be great" sentiment than a reality. And if Wilson did tackle the RUSH catalog, it would be nice to have albums that were NOT already {some shoddily} remixed into 5.1.

Unless they find a way to clone Steve Wilson, I, too, would rather have Steve tackle OTHER 5.1 remixing projects that have NEVER had a release rather than revisit material that HAS.

And perhaps the longer one waits, those MISSING multitracks [Hemispheres, Permanent Waves] will 'miraculously' show up and then maybe we'll all have something to crow about.:banana:

I hope they start with the album The Great White North. I'd buy that for sure. This is our album, eh?

Back