How about some 'QQ love' for Dr. AIX and AIX RECORDS

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
First off, this is NOT an ad. There is no kickback or behind the scenes trickery going on here. It's just that we seem to be in a pop/rock, Steven Wilson-centric direction here lately, and there is nothing wrong with that, but there are certainly other avenues out there.

A month or so ago I ordered a couple of AIX Blu-Ray releases, just to see how they were evolving. The last discs I purchased from AIX were some very impressive DVD-Audio discs. Most of you know, AIX is a label run by Mark Waldrep, who is a member here but does not post very often. I hope it's not because he does not feel welcome. I notice he posts frequently over at the AVSForum, and hey, we're more surround centric than those guys! :)

AIX offers 5.1 Blu-Rays, DVD-Audios, AND 5.1 downloads, which is pretty sweet. They have a diverse set of artists, but their titles are not something you'll find on any sales chart or "hits list", and that is not a bad thing.

If you have any of their older DVD-A's, you'll remember that most of these discs include 2 surround mixes, a STAGE mix, and an AUDIENCE mix (or whatever they call them), and they contain video as well, so in most cases if not all, you get to see the performance of the music by the artists if you choose.

The same holds true with the Blu-Rays. I recently purchased the "Rita Coolidge - Play Something Sweet" disc, along with the latest Blu-Ray sampler. I remember Rita from "the old days" and wondered what she was up to. Well, she looks and sounds damn good for her age, and I tell you what, it takes a lot of yarbles to be filmed in HD Blu-Ray for the world to put up on 70" monitors to peruse your teeth and everything else with such detail! I know I would not like it! :mad:@:

However, Rita is all class, and this disc sounds and looks great. Some may pass it off as "MOR", or "music for old fuddies", but hey, a lot of us are. I can appreciate that this is not going to be "Close to the Edge" or "The Raven that Used to Sing", but it's a fine title on it's own merit.

If you have a 3D Oppo (or other 3D player) and a 3D TV, you can also see the performance in 3D!

To me, it's very nice to be able to watch the music being played, and to watch the performance of the guitarists and other instruments, but you can choose to only listen without losing enjoyment of the disc.

Rita sings some of her hits, including "Higher and Higher", along with other songs like "People Get Ready", "Take Me to the River", "Only You Know and I Know", and the title song of the disc "Brickyard Blues" (made famous by 3 Dog Night)

The audio and surround are top notch, as you would expect. Mark knows surround and he knows audio. As a by product of my ordering these few discs, I now receive his daily email about the music industry and such. At first I hardly paid attention to them, but now I find them fascinating. You can choose to receive these or not as part of the ordering process.

Without making this a full review, I just thought that with everything Mark has done for HiRez Surround, we should give him a little more love than he has gotten over here.

Check out his website and maybe try one of the new Blu-Ray samplers. If you're a heavy rock and roll guy, you may not find anything interesting there, but if you have a broader taste, or wish to expand your horizons, AIX already has the surround discs and 5.1 downloads that other should be doing already.

Here's a link to the Rita Coolidge disc on the AIX Website. You can hear AND SEE samples of the discs right there.

http://aixrecords.com/catalog/bd_3d/rita_coolidge_bd_3d.html

So, anyone else have anything to say about AIX? Talk it up! :phones

I have a 5 or 6 AIX titles, and they all sound fantastic. My only complain is there aren't more AIX titles that contain music I enjoy. Too many AIX titles just aren't my "cup of tea" but that is just me.

I also read Mark's blog on http://www.realhd-audio.com/. You can sign up for a daily email from him. Mark really knows his stuff when it comes to hi-res audio, surround, recording techniques, etc. He is certainly opinionated, but he always backs up his opinions with scientific facts. As an electronic engineer, I really appreciate that.

I was listening to "The Grant Geissman Quintet" just last night. Enjoyed it very much. The sound was stellar as always. Will be getting some BD discs soon.
Phil.

I met Mark at the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest. He is a super nice guy and is willing to share his knowledge and opinions on surround freely and at length. I have several of the AIX releases, and all are excellent mixes. I love the Paul Smith disc - Paul was an accomplished jazz pianist whom I was lucky enough to have seen live (now deceased). I am grateful to have a performance of his in surround.

I recommend AIX titles and suggest you sample the music and support him with $$ if you like what you hear. We need to encourage those in the industry who are trying to keep the surround torch burning.

Ken

I have a 5 or 6 AIX titles, and they all sound fantastic. My only complain is there aren't more AIX titles that contain music I enjoy. Too many AIX titles just aren't my "cup of tea" but that is just me.

No its not just you, I'm in the same boat and this is how I feel as well. The surrounds that AIX produce are first rate, Mark really knows what he is doing in creating a perfect recording but the titles I have so far, nothing screams at me that I want to go for repeat listening. I have at least half a dozen releases as well maybe more. I still appreciate Jon putting up this post as I had not checked AIX site in a little while, was not aware of Mark even going 3d as well as doing Bluray.

Thanks to Jon and everyone else (especially to Ken for alerting me to this thread) for the encouraging comments. I may have slowed down the number of productions over the past three years, but that does not mean that I'm not pressing forward with high-resolution and surround. I think I've shown that audio can produced to a much higher standard than we usually get. It's the comfortable model of the major labels, the expectation of the artists (because they don't know any better) and the standard operating procedure for producer, studios and engineers. My dream would be to have a shot at recording James Taylor or John Mayer using my less is more techniques. I'm on committees at NARAS (the Grammy people), the CEA and AES trying to push for new efforts at quality and surround...but it's slow progress.

iTrax.com will be coming online with a completely new look and feel and hopefully some surprises with regards to surround content from other labels. I'm very close to deals and hope to have the site functioning with lots of presentation choices by the middle of March.

I'll try to stop by more often...but being a full time professor, running the studio and posting my daily posts at www.realhd-audio.com life is pretty full. I'm refreshed from a week spent in Vail on the back bowls with sunshine and 2 feet of fresh powder...or actually, I'm worn out but ready for 2014.

Thanks again. If anyone is interested...we have a new Blu-ray sampler disc with 41 tracks (all genres of music except heavy rock and urban), three different mixes (stereo, stage and audience) and HD-Video. It's free with a purchase of $50 or more but if you mention in the comments section of the purchase form that you're a QQ member, I'll send you one with any purchase.

It should give you a pretty good idea of the catalog...especially the recent stuff. If anyone wants a recommendation, I'm happy to put my two cents in. If you don't know John Gorka...he's the best singer/songwriter since JT and Joni Mitchell.

Hey, thanks for stopping by Mark.

That would be something if you could get James Taylor and his group in for the AIX treatment. Probably be a very popular title. He's getting up there in age (aren't we all), but he can still play and sing. Remarkable artist with a long track record.

Hopefully, some of our members will check out your sampler to see what you've been up to.

Back